ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL's salary cap now projected to be about $130 million (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281594)

milkman 02-23-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448134)
Why do you keep on saying this when its not true?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what zilla does.

He sells bullshit.

O.city 02-23-2014 08:35 AM

In Tambas case, for all he's done for the Chiefs I wouldn't be upset if they made him a Chief for life. Rewarding kinda thing.

It's not something you can do very often but in this case I think you could

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10448140)
That's what zilla does.

He sells bullshit.

That's what milkman does. When you don't have an answer, just attack the poster

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut [EDIT: $14M in 2015]

If you offer him a contract extension, you are essentially giving him a contract based on his value today which is a pro bowl outside linebacker. In 2 years, you will negotiate his contract as a 32-33 year old who, who knows, may not be worth much of anything by that point. Who even said he's even worth keeping past 2015?

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10448144)
In Tambas case, for all he's done for the Chiefs I wouldn't be upset if they made him a Chief for life. Rewarding kinda thing.

It's not something you can do very often but in this case I think you could

It depends on how much you're going to pay to let that happen. If he's 33 and is a backup pass rusher at best, I don't want to sink a starting contract on the guy.

milkman 02-23-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448146)

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut

If you offer him a contract extension, you are essentially giving him a contract based on his value today which is a pro bowl outside linebacker. In 2 years, you will negotiate his contract as a 32-33 year old who, who knows, may not be worth much of anything by that point. Who even said he's even worth keeping past 2015?

What you do, bullshitter, is turn the money from the last years of his current contract into up front money with a signing bonus that can be spread over the life of the extension, which allows you some flexibility to cut him in a couple of years when, theoretically, his play begins to decline.

-King- 02-23-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448146)

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut [EDIT: $14M in 2015]

Or you can, you know, just turn his base salary into a signing bonus instead of giving him an extension...
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10448169)
What you do, bullshitter, is turn the money from the last years of his current contract into up front money with a signing bonus that can be spread over the life of the extension, which allows you some flexibility to cut him in a couple of years when, theoretically, his play begins to decline.

Hali and his agent are not stupid.

If Hali negotiates today, he has complete leverage. They know Hali is pretty much guaranteed $8.25M this year. They know he's uncuttable. And if they negotiate a contract extension, they will have three motives: 1) maximize his signing bonus, which is critical for the twilight years; 2) make sure the signing bonus fully accounts for the $8.25M that are guaranteed anyway, so it's basically like negotiating in $8.25M PLUS a totally new contract for 2015 to 2018 (or whatever end year); 3) since Hali is coming off a pro bowl year and shown no clear signs of decline, they will negotiate his twilight years with that in mind. The Chiefs will likely end up with a contract that has a much higher signing bonus than they want which, despite what you write, means the Chiefs will NOT have good flexibility to cut him in the later years of the contract.

In 2015, the Chiefs have complete leverage because Hali is an easy target to be cut. And you can negotiate a new contract without the baggage of guaranteed money on the existing contract.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448218)
Or you can, you know, just turn his base salary into a signing bonus instead of giving him an extension...
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would you do that? It means you're on the hook for $14M in 2015 and you've now pretty much made that money guaranteed. If we let it ride, we pay $11M today but have flexibility to cut him in 2015 or leverage to renegotiate a much more reasonable extension.

-King- 02-23-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448230)
Why would you do that? It means you're on the hook for $14M in 2015 and you've now pretty much made that money guaranteed. If we let it ride, we pay $11M today but have flexibility to cut him in 2015 or leverage to renegotiate a much more reasonable extension.

Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448248)
Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you let his contract ride, he only costs $2.5M in dead money to cut in 2015.

If you turn today's base salary ($6M plus $2M roster bonus) into bonus money, he will cost $6.5M to cut in 2015. You've pretty much guaranteed a bigger 2015 contract.

The only way a restructure makes sense is if you extend the contract. Unless you restructure twice in 2 years, but I don't know if that's ever actually been done.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-23-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448225)
Hali and his agent are not stupid.

If Hali negotiates today, he has complete leverage. They know Hali is pretty much guaranteed $8.25M this year. They know he's uncuttable. And if they negotiate a contract extension, they will have three motives: 1) maximize his signing bonus, which is critical for the twilight years; 2) make sure the signing bonus fully accounts for the $8.25M that are guaranteed anyway, so it's basically like negotiating in $8.25M PLUS a totally new contract for 2015 to 2018 (or whatever end year); 3) since Hali is coming off a pro bowl year and shown no clear signs of decline, they will negotiate his twilight years with that in mind. The Chiefs will likely end up with a contract that has a much higher signing bonus than they want which, despite what you write, means the Chiefs will NOT have good flexibility to cut him in the later years of the contract.

In 2015, the Chiefs have complete leverage because Hali is an easy target to be cut. And you can negotiate a new contract without the baggage of guaranteed money on the existing contract.

Not true at all. Hali Base Salary is 6.25m he's due a Roster Bonus of 2m not sure when that kick's in. If the Chiefs cut him they save 5.5m vs the cap. Hali doesn't have complete leverage.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10448270)
Not true at all. Hali Base Salary is 6.25m he's due a Roster Bonus of 2m not sure when that kick's in. If the Chiefs cut him they save 5.5m vs the cap. Hali doesn't have complete leverage.

Unless you think the Chiefs will actually cut Hali, his base salary for this year is pretty much guaranteed, which make his roster bonus pretty much guaranteed. $5.5M is a LOT of dead money for a player as good as Hali still is.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-23-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448287)
Unless you think the Chiefs will actually cut Hali, his base salary for this year is pretty much guaranteed, which make his roster bonus pretty much guaranteed. $5.5M is a LOT of dead money for a player as good as Hali still is.

Don't get me wrong i'm with you. Let Hali play this year out cut him next year. Cut him in 2015 and with the 9m you save give it to Houston.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10448295)
Don't get me wrong i'm with you. Let Hali play this year out cut him next year. Cut him in 2015 and with the 9m you save give it to Houston.

Well, I'm open to an extension. But I'd prefer for that extension to be built for a 33 year old probably well past his prime at that point.

-King- 02-23-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448320)
Well, I'm open to an extension. But I'd prefer for that extension to be built for a 33 year old probably well past his prime at that point.

You're the only one talking about ah extension.
Posted via Mobile Device