ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765428)
If the food is still good, then its a pardonable offense. The food there isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'd much rather eat there than, say, KC Masterpiece.

Hell, the Ameristar branch of Arthur Bryant's uses gas smokers, and they churn out better, more consistent food than the original now.

KC who? Exactly.

Sacrilege. :harumph:

MOhillbilly 05-14-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765363)
I'm just the man to ask, as I live in Excelsior Springs. Wabash BBQ was an old train station. Its located across the street from the historic Elms hotel. (Curious trivia: the night of the 1948 presidential election, Harry Truman stayed at the Elms. He left on a train from Wabash station and was photographed shortly afterward holding up that newspaper that read 'Dewey Defeats Truman).

In the recent years before the building housed Wabash BBQ, it was a snack shop and later a printing supply store. It became Wabash BBQ in '97.

Whats the little red building across from the old 7-11?

SBK 05-14-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 5765001)
KC BBQ on Roswell Road is apparently the best here. Sad when Corky's is the best i've had here. :(

Fox Bros BBQ is the best I've had here. I had KC Pit once and I thought it sucked. Never went back.

http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

This place is the bomb, we're going again on Saturday night.

Jethopper 05-14-2009 01:37 PM

Zarda.......omfg, the dryest bbq ever.

outhega 05-14-2009 01:51 PM

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of, or eaten at, Big Q Bar-b-que, but I worked there for 6 months and I still have withdrawls if i go to long without some. The sauce it my altime favorite. Tomato base with a nice smokey bite. and the burnt ends...mm..

Close second is Jackstacks i try to hit them up every time i'm in town.

Pitt Gorilla 05-14-2009 02:34 PM

Is Big Bubba's still around?

Pitt Gorilla 05-14-2009 02:39 PM

I like Jack Stack (the original in Martin City) and used to frequent Gate's, but I'll go with Quick's just to be different. I haven't been there in probably 16 years, but it was a good dive with good BBQ.

Al Bundy 05-14-2009 02:43 PM

Big T's over on Blue Ridge is pretty damn good.
Posted via Mobile Device

2bikemike 05-14-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 5765847)
I like Jack Stack (the original in Martin City) and used to frequent Gate's, but I'll go with Quick's just to be different. I haven't been there in probably 16 years, but it was a good dive with good BBQ.

Quicks? didn't they used to be down on SW Blvd? My uncle used to own a bussiness next door to Quicks and my mom worked for him. We used to eat there all the time. But that was so long ago I don't remember if it was good or not but I truly believe thats where I acquired a love for BBQ.

stlchiefs 05-14-2009 04:38 PM

I've been to Jack Stack on the Plaza once and thought it sucked. Overrated. Give me a dump like LCs or a gas station like OK Joes over Jack Crap any day.

Reaper16 05-14-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5765588)
Whats the little red building across from the old 7-11?

If you're referring to the Mill-Inn Restaurant, its still there and operational. (Wabash BBQ is right down the street from the Mill-Inn) That old 7-11 is a Daylight Donuts shop now.

SAUTO 05-14-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 5766124)
Quicks? didn't they used to be down on SW Blvd? My uncle used to own a bussiness next door to Quicks and my mom worked for him. We used to eat there all the time. But that was so long ago I don't remember if it was good or not but I truly believe thats where I acquired a love for BBQ.

SW blvd/ merriam lane, yep thats them, and they have one on 7th street from the same family. oh lawrence too

BigOlChiefsfan 05-15-2009 10:43 AM

I literally grew up eating Snead's burnt ends, started going there in the 70's and their burnt ends are what got me hooked on Q in the first place. They're still pretty good, I ate there last summer. If you're in the area, give 'em a try.

I like Bryant's (skip the original sauce) beef and fries. Calvin Trillin knows his stuff.
Oklahoma Joe's pork (and their too-salty-to-be-good-for-me fries) rock. Love their 'Night of the living BBQ' sauce.
When Jake Edwards was alive I ate there every chance but without the old man kicking ass and turning brisket, their meat isn't the same.
Bates City BBQ - their ribs are a good deal - by the way, I see a sign showing their new home will be just off Neiman a block south of Johnson Drive. Smokestack meat is pretty good, beans are awesome. Jack Stack is pretty good, but I let the out-of-towners have my spot, their prics are too high for a local yokel. I can eat mo' bettah at Oklahoma Joe's and have less hassle.
Rosedale ribs on Sunday used to be cheap enough to offset the bad sauce and so on. Haven't been there in years.
I won't drive across town to eat at Gates, but if I'm in the area I'll grab a beef and a half. I like the drive-thru at Main, near Costco. Can't remember the cross street, follow your nose. Drive thru = less may I help you? confusion...you know they're talking to you. Walking in to the one at State line/103rd is a loud-ass guessing game.

OK, now I've got to drive to Bryants for beef, beer and lard-cooked fries. You people are costing me money, and when I have the obligatory heart attack I hope you all feel ashamed. Shame on all of yez!

MOhillbilly 05-15-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5766169)
If you're referring to the Mill-Inn Restaurant, its still there and operational. (Wabash BBQ is right down the street from the Mill-Inn) That old 7-11 is a Daylight Donuts shop now.

I went to E.S. for my uncles thing at the Elms a few years back. Wish my Grandmother had never sold her house. Big blue 2 story on waters i think.
Anyway i had alot of fun there.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-15-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 5767617)
I literally grew up eating Snead's burnt ends, started going there in the 70's and their burnt ends are what got me hooked on Q in the first place. They're still pretty good, I ate there last summer. If you're in the area, give 'em a try.

I like Bryant's (skip the original sauce) beef and fries. Calvin Trillin knows his stuff.
Oklahoma Joe's pork (and their too-salty-to-be-good-for-me fries) rock. Love their 'Night of the living BBQ' sauce.
When Jake Edwards was alive I ate there every chance but without the old man kicking ass and turning brisket, their meat isn't the same.
Bates City BBQ - their ribs are a good deal - by the way, I see a sign showing their new home will be just off Neiman a block south of Johnson Drive. Smokestack meat is pretty good, beans are awesome. Jack Stack is pretty good, but I let the out-of-towners have my spot, their prics are too high for a local yokel. I can eat mo' bettah at Oklahoma Joe's and have less hassle.
Rosedale ribs on Sunday used to be cheap enough to offset the bad sauce and so on. Haven't been there in years.
I won't drive across town to eat at Gates, but if I'm in the area I'll grab a beef and a half. I like the drive-thru at Main, near Costco. Can't remember the cross street, follow your nose. Drive thru = less may I help you? confusion...you know they're talking to you. Walking in to the one at State line/103rd is a loud-ass guessing game.

OK, now I've got to drive to Bryants for beef, beer and lard-cooked fries. You people are costing me money, and when I have the obligatory heart attack I hope you all feel ashamed. Shame on all of yez!

Just make sure you're having sex after that meal when the heart-attack comes, and mister; you WIN.

Big Ol' Chiefs Fan: 1

Life: 0