ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Son of a ****ing bitch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207841)

DJ's left nut 05-20-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 5778928)
I ride without a helmet.

I would rather check out than burden my wife with a drooling mess that she is forced to take care of for the rest of my "life".

She knows this and understands it.

In fact, she will start riding this summer and the same goes for her.

I got driven into a median about 8 months ago by a jackass that didn't check mirrors, didn't flip a blinker, just came and came quickly (and kept going). I was right at his A-pillar with no shoulder so there was nowhere to go but down.

But/for the helmet I was wearing, I'd have been the drooling mess you are referring to. Hell, a simple bump helmet probably wouldn't have done any good, the impact was right at the temple and cracked the damn thing. It was a Shoei, so I didn't even get a headache (just some MFing wicked road rash and a very torn groin)

The #s don't lie, but to each their own.

Bob,

Sorry as hell to hear about your week, man. And what concerns me is that they are NOT going to get any better. This will go from a hobby to a survival sport in the next 15 years, I fear.

The cages get dumber daily. Just this season alone I've had to take it onto the shoulder twice when someone came over into my lane without looking. Fortunately the wreck I had last fall prepared me for it, I can recognize the assholes before they do it for the most part.

But people are going to get more distracted, not less. As more of the 'tweens' that have grown up in constant communication end up with drivers licenses, you're only going to have more idiots to avoid and they'll be worse than ever. Living in a college town is doubly dangerous for me because I know have the HS kids from that generation driving around town with the same general attention span.

I'm considering selling mine myself. The constant stream of ****wits is making it less and less fun for me out there. I've only been at it for 5 years or so, so it's not the lifestyle change it would be for you and I understand that, but this just hardly seems worth it anymore.

Good luck, man. Hope things head up for you soon.

Bob Dole 05-20-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 5779319)
I don't know what article you are referring to, but how do you know he would have still suffered a broken neck if was wearing a helmet?

In many cases, the helmet is the cause of a broken neck. How the hell would something on top of your head keep your spine from snapping from the impact?

Radar Chief 05-20-2009 09:39 AM

You can still die even with the proper safety gear but Jason Britton on Superbikes had a good point.
He was giving hints to a couple of young “stuntaz” when he pointed at the one without a helmet or any leather and said, “You need to gear up. The difference between you and him” pointing to another young “stuntah” that had a helmet and leather, “is if you go down you’re going to be nursing road rash for a week. If he goes down, he can straighten whatever is bent and be back up and riding that day.”

wild1 05-20-2009 10:29 AM

why will someone will buy a leather jacket for a few hundred bucks and not wear a helmet? why buy and wear gloves, chaps, boots, whatever. because they don't want to see their hands or legs look like something from a horror movie, but they won't protect their head. makes no sense

my state is not a helmet state and you don't see very many people wearing them. i talk to a lot of riders and the base issue is, in my opinion almost always, that people don't think helmets look cool. when you peel away all the layers of rationalization that's all there is. you can justify anything to yourself that you want to. they identify or want people to identify them with the biker persona and they don't think helmets fit the template. you're 'supposed' to be wearing a bandana or nothing. that is what i see anyway.

my condolences to the friends of the person lost in this wreck. i think that as cars become more like living rooms, as they lock out more sound from the outside and have more distracting 'features', things have gotten a lot more dangerous.

Donger 05-20-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THISBobDole (Post 5779431)
In many cases, the helmet is the cause of a broken neck. How the hell would something on top of your head keep your spine from snapping from the impact?

Well, in this specific case, the helmet wasn't the cause of his broken neck. My condolences to you for your loss, but it seems clear that more injuries can be prevented by wearing a helmet than not.

Radar Chief 05-20-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1 (Post 5779566)
why will someone will buy a leather jacket for a few hundred bucks and not wear a helmet? why buy and wear gloves, chaps, boots, whatever. because they don't want to see their hands or legs look like something from a horror movie, but they won't protect their head. makes no sense

my state is not a helmet state and you don't see very many people wearing them. i talk to a lot of riders and the base issue is, in my opinion almost always, that people don't think helmets look cool. when you peel away all the layers of rationalization that's all there is. you can justify anything to yourself that you want to. they identify or want people to identify them with the biker persona and they don't think helmets fit the template. you're 'supposed' to be wearing a bandana or nothing. that is what i see anyway.

my condolences to the friends of the person lost in this wreck. i think that as cars become more like living rooms, as they lock out more sound from the outside and have more distracting 'features', things have gotten a lot more dangerous.

The wind on your face can feel pretty good, until that wind is carrying a big grasshopper, or horsefly, or bumblebee. Never mind those freak’n cicadas. Catch one of those in the middle of your face and you’ll never again question wearing a helmet.

wild1 05-20-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5779624)
The wind on your face can feel pretty good, until that wind is carrying a big grasshopper, or horsefly, or bumblebee. Never mind those freak’n cicadas. Catch one of those in the middle of your face and you’ll never again question wearing a helmet.

i was hit by something on what would have been my eye/forehead area once that snapped my head back. i didn't get a good look at what it was, maybe a bolt or a rock or something. i would have at least had fractures and lost that eye, in my opinion, and that is only if i had managed to stay upright. i doubt that the get-off at 65mph would have gone well either. you are talking about weeks in the hospital if you make it there, medical expenses, permanent disfigurement... but since i was protected i just kept on going.

bogey 05-20-2009 11:17 AM

Unfortunately, life for bikers has changed. Motorists have way to many distractions these days. JMO, we can either accept that, or turn in to hamburger meat. I no longer drive the CA freeways like I used to. I am now ALL about defence. Not as fun, but still much more fuel efficient.

pr_capone 05-20-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 5778934)
I know the ABATE arguments....very well. I understand, we are all endowed with free will.

I will not begrudge you for your choice, brother pr_capone; but, please, don't begrudge me for mine....

FWIW, I salute/greet all bikers...not just the helmeted ones I meet on the road.
:thumb:

To each his own brother... I would never hold your opinions on this issue against you. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5779220)
Not sure how one comes to the conclusion that having a helmet would make you a vegetable. I would think a helmet would keep you from being a veg. Or did I misinterpret pr_capone's post?

No, you read it right.

I don't want to live a life where my body is mangled beyond repair but my head is fine so I live the rest of my 50 years or so in either extreme constant pain or worse... unable to care for myself. I simply won't put my wife through that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5779242)
I think you read it right, that’s kind of an old justification for not wearing a helmet that I’ve been hearing since I was a kid hanging out with my parents and their “biker” friends back in the ‘70’s.

Basically yeah... read above :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by THISBobDole (Post 5779431)

THIS

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 5779730)
Unfortunately, life for bikers has changed. Motorists have way to many distractions these days. JMO, we can either accept that, or turn in to hamburger meat.

Acceptance of that fact ≠ wearing a helmet though. Being aware of your surroundings and keeping your bike in good condition will do more for an experienced rider than the false sense of security that a helmet provides.

I'm not knocking helmets or those who wear them... its simply a choice.

Radar Chief 05-20-2009 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 5779918)
I'm not knocking helmets or those who wear them... its simply a choice.

:thumb: Same here, not knocking anyone that chooses not to wear a helmet, just that I personally feel nekid without one.

Oh, BTW....100.