ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this car? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248386)

Bugeater 08-12-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7820516)
I've HEARD that that was a bad era for MB, quality wise. That came from BMW/Porsche technicians to take it for what it's worth.

Yeah from what I read it sounds like the interiors were very cheap and there are a lot of electrical failures with them. OTOH, I didn't see very many complaints about the mechanicals or performance.

vailpass 08-12-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7820513)
**** Carfax. ****ing worthless bullshit.

Is Carfax not a useful tool? I honestly don't know.

Silock 08-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7820527)
Yeah from what I read it sounds like the interiors were very cheap and there are a lot of electrical failures with them. OTOH, I didn't see very many complaints about the mechanicals or performance.

Electrical failures are way more annoying than mechanical problems, and just as expensive to fix.

Silock 08-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7820531)

It can be, but it's no substitute for a good old fashioned inspection. So, it's nice to have, but don't rely on it.

Bugeater 08-12-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7820531)

As far as I'm concerned it's worthless. We got one when we bought the Mrs' current car, and it showed all the regular maintenance from the original dealer, a few minor repairs and nothing else. After we had it a couple months I noticed that most of the driver's side had been repainted, and it also leaks water every time it rains. So it was obviously in an accident of some significance, but there wasn't squat on the Carfax about it.

But ultimately, it's my own damn fault for not catching the paint part of it. Hell I even know what to look for, I just never bothered to look at it closely.

vailpass 08-12-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7820549)
It can be, but it's no substitute for a good old fashioned inspection. So, it's nice to have, but don't rely on it.

Thanks. Other than my beater jeep I haven't bought a used car in 15 years; just don't want to take on other people's abuses.

vailpass 08-12-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7820555)
As far as I'm concerned it's worthless. We got one when we bought the Mrs' current car, and it showed all the regular maintenance from the original dealer, a few minor repairs and nothing else. After we had it a couple months I noticed that most of the driver's side had been repainted, and it also leaks water every time it rains. So it was obviously in an accident of some significance, but there wasn't squat on the Carfax about it.

But ultimately, it's my own damn fault for not catching the paint part of it. Hell I even know what to look for, I just never bothered to look at it closely.

Makes sense, thanks. If they don't turn it in to insurance it wouldn't necessarily show on the report?

Bugeater 08-12-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7820561)
Makes sense, thanks. If they don't turn it in to insurance it wouldn't necessarily show on the report?

I'm not really sure, but I suppose. What I suspect happened was the previous owner traded it in with the damage, and the dealer had it repaired. And naturally, they aren't going to disclose that information regarding a car they're trying to sell.

Bugeater 08-12-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7820546)
Electrical failures are way more annoying than mechanical problems, and just as expensive to fix.

You're preaching to the choir there, that's what really put the last nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Silock 08-12-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7820561)

Body shops are supposed to report it regardless, but there are a lot of places that don't mind operating under the table, especially if there's cash involved.

ToxSocks 08-12-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7820555)

Ughhh...hate it when that happens.

you get it home and you're like "****, I can't believe I missed that!". I've had that happen once.

Bugeater 08-12-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7820578)
Ughhh...hate it when that happens.

you get it home and you're like "****, I can't believe I missed that!". I've had that happen once.

Shit, I didn't notice it until I was backing my truck into the driveway next to it, and as I was watching it in my side mirror I thought the sun glare on the side of it looked kind of funny. So I opened the door and looked at the jambs and there was overspray all over them. Dead ****ing giveaway right in front of my eyes and I completely missed it. I'd feel less bad about it if it was actually a good paint job.

griZZly64 08-12-2011 05:16 PM

that sucks.. ****in shisters... schemin all day every day

Buehler445 08-12-2011 10:38 PM

Hey Bugs, it's RWD. That would bug me. Is yor wife cool with driving a RWD in the ice and snow up there? My wife drove a 2WD Ranger and it was beyond worthless in any winter wet stuff.

Just something to keep in mind.

Bugeater 08-12-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7822199)
Hey Bugs, it's RWD. That would bug me. Is yor wife cool with driving a RWD in the ice and snow up there? My wife drove a 2WD Ranger and it was beyond worthless in any winter wet stuff.

Just something to keep in mind.

That was actually one of the first things we discussed, and yeah, it was going to be an issue. I already have one vehicle that is worthless in the snow.