ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Marvel unviels their next four projects (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261513)

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10137818)
Marvel has being doing that in the comix as well. It's frustrating.

They're changing the continuity in the books to fit more closely with the films.

Bad idea.

There are millions of people willing to watch a 2 hour summer action flick that have no desire to pick up a comic...

I've never been a comic book fan, not because I dislike them or anything of that nature, but I was truly never exposed to them as a kid.

That said, Marvel's films have been setting box office records, so it only makes sense for the comics to follow suit, as difficult as that may be for long time fans.

cabletech94 10-29-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10137858)
Then wouldn't Ultron's voice be of Jude Law's instead of Spader

completely random thought (yeah, i know, just me thinking out loud):

i'd like to introduce you to: The Vision!!!

Rausch 10-29-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10137879)
I've never been a comic book fan, not because I dislike them or anything of that nature, but I was truly never exposed to them as a kid.

That said, Marvel's films have been setting box office records, so it only makes sense for the comics to follow suit, as difficult as that may be for long time fans.

Look at it this way: it would be like Vegas changing the rules to NL Poker because it became popular. It drives away the die hard people that make up your base.

It's like saying Han didn't shoot first. Only pretend Lucas did something like that with every SW character. Now Han was always a hero. Luke was raised a Jedi. And so on.

Once the popularity dwindles again (like comix have dropped since the late 90's) you lose the popularity factor plus your base.

Jamie 10-29-2013 01:30 PM

Continuity is always in flux due to the volume of material and sliding time scale, and fans don't care about it as much as they claim to. It compares more to something like Doctor Who than Star Wars.

frankotank 10-29-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10121782)
Sounds like Antman will will played by Paul Rudd, and Janet Van Dyke (Wasp) will be played by Rashida Jones.

http://schmoesknow.com/paul-rudd-ras...anet-van-dyne/

I really REALLY hope they give Garret Morris a cameo.
that would be AWESOME!

Ant Man pops up at about 5:50-ish

http://screen.yahoo.com/superhero-party-000000500.html

Aries Walker 10-29-2013 05:57 PM

Sorry, I'm compulsed to - it's Van Dyne, not Van Dyke, and J.A.R.V.I.S. is voiced by Paul Bettany, not Jude Law.

Carry on.

Tribal Warfare 10-29-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 10137900)
i'd like to introduce you to: The Vision!!!

IMO, Vision should be voiced by Keith David

beach tribe 10-29-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10137660)
Unfortunately for die hards like yourself, Marvel is changing the mythos.

My understanding is that Tony Stark will be revealed as the creator of Ultron in the upcoming Avengers film.

No big deal.
Stark is huge so I can see why they would go that route.

The mandarin and IM3 is really the only thing that has pissed me off.
Comic books are much different now than when I collected.

Storys change when they come to film. Nothing new.
But don't shit all over characters that have been around for 40 years.

Rausch 10-29-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 10138264)
Continuity is always in flux due to the volume of material and sliding time scale, and fans don't care about it as much as they claim to. It compares more to something like Doctor Who than Star Wars.

The huge change in continuity is what drove off huge numbers of DC fans back in the day.

Trying to restructure the continuity was like cutting cap space on a SB team...

Jamie 10-29-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10139903)
The huge change in continuity is what drove off huge numbers of DC fans back in the day.

Trying to restructure the continuity was like cutting cap space on a SB team...

I think that's sort of an urban legend, I've never seen sales figures or a quote to that effect from anybody who would know. I do know that the 2011 DC reboot actually increased sales, at least temporarily.

DaneMcCloud 10-30-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10139894)
No big deal.
Stark is huge so I can see why they would go that route.

The mandarin and IM3 is really the only thing that has pissed me off.
Comic books are much different now than when I collected.

Storys change when they come to film. Nothing new.
But don't shit all over characters that have been around for 40 years.

A new one shot was just filmed which will include the "Real" Mandarin. He's angry at Ben Kingsley's false Mandarin. I'm not sure if it'll be attached to Thor 2 or Avengers 2 but it'll be out soon.

Swanman 10-30-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10140847)
A new one shot was just filmed which will include the "Real" Mandarin. He's angry at Ben Kingsley's false Mandarin. I'm not sure if it'll be attached to Thor 2 or Avengers 2 but it'll be out soon.

The only way to redeem the shitfest that was Iron Man 3 would be to have the real Mandarin show up as a complete badass villain.

Amnorix 10-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10137818)
There are millions of people willing to watch a 2 hour summer action flick that have no desire to pick up a comic...

That would be me. I'm a huge fan of superhero movies, but I'm never going to pick up a superhero comic book.

Micjones 10-30-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10137879)

Couldn't agree more.

The fanboy contingent only amounts to a fraction of the people who ultimately see these films. People who've read every comic drive me nuts! It's an entirely different medium. There will ALWAYS be deviations from the source material. Most of the time they're so minute the vitriol that follows is laughable.

I wasn't a comicbook reader, but for the past five years I've been a die-hard of the Superhero genre. These films are made for the AVERAGE moviegoer who likely knows very little about the history of these characters.

Valiant 10-30-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 10141666)
Couldn't agree more.

The fanboy contingent only amounts to a fraction of the people who ultimately see these films. People who've read every comic drive me nuts! It's an entirely different medium. There will ALWAYS be deviations from the source material. Most of the time they're so minute the vitriol that follows is laughable.

I wasn't a comicbook reader, but for the past five years I've been a die-hard of the Superhero genre. These films are made for the AVERAGE moviegoer who likely knows very little about the history of these characters.

That is true and it is not at the same time. The movies are made to encompass all, and yes fan boys need to get over some of it. But the movies and what the movies generate are all for the fanboys/comic lovers.

They are the ones that buy all the collectible toys, tshirts, posters, replicas that are sold with the movies. They generate the extra revenue, they are the ones that buy the dvd, uncut dvd or collectors edition.

Just like when you hear people that read books that are made into movies telling you how much better the book story was. It is the same with comic books. Those people do not get harped on as much. People just like harass comic fans.

My favorite thing is a dude I know that hates how all movies seem to be comic movies and he wants back to how it was. Forget the fact that Sin City is his favorite movie or he loves robocop and terminator.

Mind boggling.