ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Don't think Peter King "Gets It". (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266948)

bobbything 12-12-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9202717)
You are putting emphasis on the "0", King is intending to emphasize the "12".

Key word here, "intending". I know what he's trying to say, but he's not saying it very well. By saying "12-0", it implies an undefeated record. Which, as pointed out, is redundant.

Edit: Hell, it doesn't imply, it states. He should have just omitted the record altogether and talked about the 12 road games and not the teams' records in those 12 road games. Because everyone knows what their record was.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9202709)
You really don't see how it's both unnecessary and redundant to say that Super Bowl winners are undefeated? If King were to just omit that stat, this would be a non-issue. Here...

"Since 2005, Super Bowl winners have played 12 road games vs. 7 home games; which means the champ..."

No, not at all.

Super Bowl winners have been 12-0 ON THE ROAD since 2005.

Do you have a different way to describe a Super Bowl winner?

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9202725)
Key word here, "intending". I know what he's trying to say, but he's not saying it very well. By saying "12-0", it implies an undefeated record. Which, as pointed out, is redundant.

Edit: Hell, it doesn't imply, it states. He should have just omitted the record altogether and talked about the 12 road games and not the teams' records in those 12 road games. Because everyone knows what their record was.

JFC, so "Everyone knows" that the past seven Super Bowl winning teams were a combined 12-0 on the road during the playoffs?

What?

bobbything 12-12-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202728)
No, not at all.

Super Bowl winners have been 12-0 ON THE ROAD since 2005.

I've said it three times already, but I'll repeat it again...

"Since 2005, Super Bowl winners have played 12 road games vs. 7 home games."

By default, Super Bowl winners are undefeated in the playoffs. However, since 2005, of the 19 games these winners have played, 12 of them have been on the road. That's the point of emphasis, not the record.

Let me ask you this, if you won the Super Bowl last year and played three road games, what was your record? Point being that the record on the road in the playoffs is redundant. It's not necessary to say that Super Bowl winners are 12-0 on the road. Just say, Super Bowl winners have played 12 road games.

BigMeatballDave 12-12-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202728)

One who does not lose in the post-season?

Molitoth 12-12-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9202622)
Its not dumb if you read it in the full context of the story.

The original quoted link wasn't the full context of the story though...

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9202756)
I've said it three times already, but I'll repeat it again...

"Since 2005, Super Bowl winners have played 12 road games vs. 7 home games."

By default, Super Bowl winners are undefeated in the playoffs. However, since 2005, of the 19 games these winners have played, 12 of them have been on the road. That's the point of emphasis, not the record.

Let me ask you this, if you won the Super Bowl last year and played three road games, what was your record? Point being that the record on the road in the playoffs is redundant. It's not necessary to say that Super Bowl winners are 12-0 on the road. Just say, Super Bowl winners have played 12 road games.

Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9202757)
One who does not lose in the post-season?

What is the total number of road victories for the last seven Super Bowl winners?

And do you understand what this number implies?

bobbything 12-12-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202794)
Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill

I love it. You repeatedly say that you can't see the redundancy in King's statement(s); which I, and many, many, many others, seem to see. I did my best to explain it as simply as possible.

Bottom line, he could have worded it all much better; and considering he's a Senior Writer for SI, he should be expected to.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9202813)
I love it. You repeatedly say that you can't see the redundancy in King's statement(s); which I, and many, many, many others, seem to see. I did my best to explain it as simply as possible.

Bottom line, he could have worded it all much better; and considering he's a Senior Writer for SI, he should be expected to.

I completely and utterly disagree and have absolutely no issue with his wording, especially in the context of the paragraph.

BigMeatballDave 12-12-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202831)
I completely and utterly disagree and have absolutely no issue with his wording, especially in the context of the paragraph.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...f7CqSv2dOQ0NFQ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...gvthsSedFXfM7Q

DaFace 12-12-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202831)

I'm glad you're not a writer then. I think it's really confusing and sounds idiotic. Can you figure out what point he's trying to make? Sure. But Super Bowl teams are by definition undefeated in the playoffs, so there's no reason to say "12-0," which implies that a loss would be possible in the given scenario.

Chiefnj2 12-12-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 9202725)

The problem is that people who are nitpicking King are ignoring the fact that he didn't write a stand alone single sentence.

keg in kc 12-12-2012 02:44 PM

Wow, talk about arguing over nothing.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9202873)
I'm glad you're not a writer then. I think it's really confusing and sounds idiotic. Can you figure out what point he's trying to make? Sure. But Super Bowl teams are by definition undefeated in the playoffs, so there's no reason to say "12-0," which implies that a loss would be possible in the given scenario.

Do I think he chose the best wording possible? No. Can I understand what he's saying? Yes.

In the age of email, Twitter, Facebook and other forms of instant new items and thought, grammar and punctuation have suffered irreparable damage to the point where even the best journalists stumble over themselves to make a point.