ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Likely to be the finalized staff... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268758)

BossChief 01-11-2013 11:20 AM

Hali is a LDE in a 4-3, not a RDE.

Chris Meck 01-11-2013 11:21 AM

We REALLY don't have the personnel for a 4-3.

Hali was real damned average as a 4-3 end; decent pass rush, liability vs. the run. He just got swallowed. Have you forgotten? Also, as he puts on the 10-15 lbs he'll need to be barely adequate against the run, look for a return of his foot problems. Notice those went away when he dropped back to what is his 'natural' weight.
DJ was lost in a 4-3.
Houston doesn't really have a position in a 4-3. He's too small for an end, too big for a LB that will need to cover RB's in space.
You'd have to re-sign Dorsey, who's your only real 4-3 piece. Let Jackson walk.
You've got Poe, who can physically play DT, but he's a gap further away from the center/QB exchange.
You'll need a 4-3 end and to remake your entire LB corps.

There's a lot of question marks in the switch. IF you keep a 3-4 and just go one gap, you've got most of your question marks covered. Jackson is NOT a terrible player, he's just not a #3 overall quality player. Restructure and sign. Poe and Powe make a nice NT rotation. If you let Dorsey go, you need a 5 tech but you could make due with your rotational guys of Smith, Rapoti, and Bailey(if healthy). The biggest plus is you can count on Hali and Houston, who are both excellent in their roles. So you could use an upgrade at DE and you need a ILB. Not that hard to find.

I don't like it. It's a do-over and that'll take at least two offseasons.

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305536)
And I've admitted several times that it's simply my personal preference, so I'll not call anyone a dipshit for being excited about staying with the 3-4.

I'll call Tinballs an idiot for saying we're better suited for a 3-4 because we have Pitoitua on our team. I'll also remain a little flummoxed by the idea that this mediocre retread was the best 3-4 guy we could come up with, but so be it.

I guess Keith Butler's just going to keep waiting for LeBeau to die.

Hey wait a minute, Tigers fans - with Ryan's firing you know our ol' buddy Matt Eberflus will be looking for a job. TO THE SHIP!!!

look, I said Hali/Rapoti on one side with Poe in the middle plus TJ/Houston on the other side is a formidable 1 gap pass rush. Idiot.

Bowser 01-11-2013 11:21 AM

Regardless of what coach does what in this list, the most important aspect is that Clark has completely flushed the old watch and brought in fresh faces at practically every coaching spot in the span of two weeks, provided this list is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt Bad Guy at all). Throw in the imminent hiring of Dorsey, and this is huge for us going forward.

dirk digler 01-11-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305555)
Brian. Daboll.

But way older.

Pretty much...

I just can't believe there was no one better than this guy available

ChiTown 01-11-2013 11:30 AM

Bob Sutton is a horrible hire. JFC, why?

DJ's left nut 01-11-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9305556)

Yeah, I think that's true.

And yeah, he got beat up a little the first time he was an LDE, but he's gotten much stronger since then and he's just flat out gotten smarter. I honestly don't see anything in his skill-set that would keep him from being among the better LDE's in the league.

Houston, by the same token, could be an elite RDE. His explosiveness is damn uncommon for a guy with his strength. He'd have some learning to do, for sure, he'd have to pick up some pass-rush technique but he's slowly coming along there as a LOLB.

And he'd be free to do what he does well far more often - kill the QB.

As to Chris's statement that DJ was lost in a 4-3...DJ was lost in everything when he was young. He's come so far, so fast that I think he'd easily make the transition to a 4-3. He'd be a good MLB and an outstanding Sam. It would depend in large part on who you could find in the draft/FA where you'd put him.

Friggles 01-11-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9305306)
Does sutton run a 34?

Thats what was recorded at the DC Combine! He scratched on his first attempt so there was alot of pressure to put up a low number!ROFL

Ace Gunner 01-11-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9305587)
Yeah, I think that's true.

And yeah, he got beat up a little the first time he was an LDE, but he's gotten much stronger since then and he's just flat out gotten smarter. I honestly don't see anything in his skill-set that would keep him from being among the better LDE's in the league.

Houston, by the same token, could be an elite RDE. His explosiveness is damn uncommon for a guy with his strength. He'd have some learning to do, for sure, he'd have to pick up some pass-rush technique but he's slowly coming along there as a LOLB.

And he'd be free to do what he does well far more often - kill the QB.

As to Chris's statement that DJ was lost in a 4-3...DJ was lost in everything when he was young. He's come so far, so fast that I think he'd easily make the transition to a 4-3. He'd be a good MLB and an outstanding Sam. It would depend in large part on who you could find in the draft/FA where you'd put him.

you look stupid suggesting 43 stuff. It isn't in this team's plan. except it knucklehead.

crossbow 01-11-2013 12:01 PM

Hopefully we can get some stability on offense. These guys have had to learn 5 systems in 4 years. No wonder they suck. That is just too much to deal with.

Frazod 01-11-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9305692)
Hopefully we can get some stability on offense. These guys have had to learn 5 systems in 4 years. No wonder they suck. That is just too much to deal with.

True, but the biggest problem has been a QB that would suck running any offense.

htismaqe 01-11-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9305709)
True, but the biggest problem has been a QB that would suck running any offense.

This.

RustShack 01-11-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9305586)
Bob Sutton is a horrible hire. JFC, why?

He would also be the first coach ever to do better his second go-round. I'm sure Mangini who's a defensive mind had nothing at all to so with the Jets defense while Sutton was DC.

RustShack 01-11-2013 12:23 PM

As for offense, it's going to be all Reid. Of course he's going to hire guys experienced in HIS scheme. He would be reeruned to hire guys who clash.

Chiefs=Champions 01-11-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9305556)

Why?