ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Parental Advice- Re: Xbox 360 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269693)

J Diddy 02-05-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 9379332)

Hey that's amazing. It really accentuates post 36

Sofa King 02-05-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9379333)
Hey that's amazing. It really accentuates post 36

Are you sure?

Rugby Thompson 02-05-2013 03:18 AM

Looking back, some of my best memories were playing PS2 and gameboy and all that stuff growing up but when my parent's took it away, it really cleared my head and taught me a lesson every time.

Phobia 02-05-2013 03:22 AM

The key on discipline is that it not be made so harsh that you can't follow through with it and don't make it so final that your kid's hope is squashed. Selling the device definitely squashes the kid's hope.

We recently bought my 9 YO daughter an iPod for playing games and downloading music because we're kind of sick of her taking our phones. We dangled that carrot for a couple of weeks as a motivator for her schoolwork (she's homeschooled). Then the wife gets a notification from ebay in the middle of the night that she had bid on on an ebay decorative cover. She woke the kid up and asked about it. Kid denied and denied. Lying in my house is an automatic beating, no questions. I don't tolerate it from anybody and definitely not from my kids. So, strike one there. She also bid a maximum of $100 for an item worth like $8 maybe. Strike 2. The device wouldn't even fit the iPod we bought for her. Strike 3. Her mother already told her "no"... Strike 4. She got the swats for lying. The iPod is also on hold for a while longer. We emailed the ebay vendor and explained the situation. They let us off the hook but we didn't tell our kid. She has to do chores around the house (outside the scope of her normal responsibilities) until she earns $100.

I don't know if we're doing everything right but she's a pretty cool kid most of the time. She communicates really well and she means well. We're pretty proud 99% of the time.

NJChiefsFan 02-05-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9379340)
The key on discipline is that it not be made so harsh that you can't follow through with it and don't make it so final that your kid's hope is squashed. Selling the device definitely squashes the kid's hope.

We recently bought my 9 YO daughter an iPod for playing games and downloading music because we're kind of sick of her taking our phones. We dangled that carrot for a couple of weeks as a motivator for her schoolwork (she's homeschooled). Then the wife gets a notification from ebay in the middle of the night that she had bid on on an ebay decorative cover. She woke the kid up and asked about it. Kid denied and denied. Lying in my house is an automatic beating, no questions. I don't tolerate it from anybody and definitely not from my kids. So, strike one there. She also bid a maximum of $100 for an item worth like $8 maybe. Strike 2. The device wouldn't even fit the iPod we bought for her. Strike 3. Her mother already told her "no"... Strike 4. She got the swats for lying. The iPod is also on hold for a while longer. We emailed the ebay vendor and explained the situation. They let us off the hook but we didn't tell our kid. She has to do chores around the house (outside the scope of her normal responsibilities) until she earns $100.

I don't know if we're doing everything right but she's a pretty cool kid most of the time. She communicates really well and she means well. We're pretty proud 99% of the time.

Yeah I think it really depends on how the kid reacts. If you are really looking for results, I think you need to figure out which approaches work best for each kid. I should say I'm not a parent, but I always just assumed this was one of the biggest hurdles in getting your kid to turn out well.

Applying methods that worked on one kid doesn't guarantee anything for another, especially once a personality is established. If the goal is results, and not just doing "what should have been done from the start", kinda need to know more about the kid. Then again, what the hell do I know about kids. Subbing elementary schools is the closest I have come to knowing.

Lbedrock1 02-05-2013 06:52 AM

If you have not taken a belt to him for first lying to you and stealing, blame yourself for his misbehavior because he has no respectable fear for his parent. Aftter that then you take it away. If you are one who doesnt believe in using the rod of discipline, dont worry you have either the police or another adult in his future who will use a gun to discipline him right to his grave. If he can't respect you now he will not respect others later.

Superbowltrashcan 02-05-2013 07:18 AM

I am going to assume you bought it for him, true? Am I correct in that you remarked he is "online" playing? If so here are some possible solutions. I agree that the kid is in need of attention. Offer to have his friend(s) over and go with them to Gamestop and buy some old used POS game that you approve. Don't approve the first one. Make them work for it. Also if he doesn't and you don't play Madden, buy it. An old one it doesn't matter. Learn it together. Let him show you things. Extend your jurisdiction into his realm. Don't allow it to be a separate world he can go to. Heck have him come home and you are on the Xbox! PM me. I did this and it worked....

Deberg_1990 02-05-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9379340)

Wow, thats pretty amazing. I dont think my 10 and 8 year olds have figured out Ebay yet or even know it exists.

Rausch 02-05-2013 07:32 AM

Son: Dad where's my XBox?

Dad: It's in my bedroom. I stole it from you. See how that works?...

KC Jones 02-05-2013 07:39 AM

it ain't easy being a perfect parent, but somehow I make it happen :p

Seriously though, about all the parenting advice I could ever give anyone is be fair, be consistent, practice what you preach, and follow through. Start giving out idle threats or letting them get away with shit some of the time and they will have hope they can get away with it every time an opportunity comes up.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-05-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9379408)
Son: Dad where's my XBox?

Dad: It's in my bedroom. I stole it from you. See how that works?...

Really not a bad idea here if executed properly.

Lono 02-05-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9378534)
My preschool daughter came home with 13 pennies from a boy on the bus and I made her give them to the boys' mom. My kids won't take things that aren't theirs and they will learn it as the opportunity comes.

If my kid stole 3 times, I'd beat their butt hard enough they would pray HARP Rings would bring aliens to vaccinate them with pit bull teeth to numb them.

Not sure if I'd sell the Xbox or smash it in front of them.

We have a Zero tolerance policy on theft here. No gray area.

This ^

sedated 02-05-2013 08:46 AM

One question – after the previous 2 instances did you say something to the effect of “if you do this again, we will do X”?

Dayze 02-05-2013 08:49 AM

Drive to a remote location about 30 miles from anything; make him walk home to think about what he did. ~

God of Thunder 02-05-2013 09:23 AM

Needs a much harsher punishment. Kids not going to learn if you just take it away for a few weeks.