ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet IT'S HERE! New Vbulletin finally is out! CP upgrade process starting! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274340)

AustinChief 08-03-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9857022)
Hey AC, how's this effort going? I'm looking forward to seeing the good stuff you have in store for us.

As DaFace stated below "YIKES!" This hasn't been easy, as a matter of fact I am at a point where I am seriously looking at different platforms entirely. VB5 is not even CLOSE to being ready for prime time. They just released an update yesterday so I'll have to take a look. The problem isn't the massive changes it's that nothing is documented worth a damn and the developer community has dried up almost completely as a resource. Creating a stock version of VB5 with some ChiefsPlanet theme over the top isn't a big deal.. but getting it to act anything CLOSE to what we have now is next to impossible with the version I have.

I'll keep you guys posted once I have had time to dive into the latest update and see if they bothered to fix the documentation.

AussieChiefsFan 08-24-2013 10:00 PM

How's the transition going?

AustinChief 08-24-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9913355)
How's the transition going?

Haven't worked on it much lately because the version I had was crap but I'm going to try the newest one that came out last week and see if it is worth it.

Bugeater 08-24-2013 10:09 PM

Sounds like a good project for the next offseason.

Anyong Bluth 08-24-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9795189)
LMAO Half assed. just like the Chiefs. :thumb:

On the other hand, if like the Chiefs, would there even really be a true upgrade coming or just marginal changes to satisfy the status quo and hover in potential but ultimately result in hyped mediocrity. ...

jus' sayin.

Anyong Bluth 08-24-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9795469)
yeah sorta. more like forumrunner or tapatalk but branded specifically for ChiefsPlanet

Like xda has which is built off tapatalk but definitely not the same implementation simply rebranded.

Psyko Tek 08-25-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9795178)
Ok so VB5 is FINALLY here and at a point that I can start the laborious upgrade process. I am copying the DB over right now so we'll have something to play with. Ok, so here is how this should play out...

#1 copy db(as of today, right now, don't worry this is just for testing) and install the base VB5 code
#2 setup entirely new templates and try to make it look somewhat like the current site (this part is going to be a bitch and take forever).. drink lots of beer
#3 let everybody go play with the test site and give feedback
#4 ignore feedback and give excuses why none of your cool ideas can be done... drink more beer
#5 shut down the board overnight one night and make the real switch.

Just to be clear, none of this should impact the board except for an occasional slowdown or hiccup while I am doing DB intense stuff.. like right now with the massive DB copy.

i AM GONNA DO THE DRINK BEER PART AND LEAVE THE REST TO YOU
and bring back tags

bevischief 08-25-2013 04:49 AM

So what did we gain by upgrading?

007 12-13-2013 02:28 AM

Are you doing some work on this tonight Austin? Things have been kind of laggy.

CrazyPhuD 12-13-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10273851)
Are you doing some work on this tonight Austin? Things have been kind of laggy.

:LOL:

Only for you! That's the first sign you've been placed on the 'miserable users' list! :D

007 12-13-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10273854)
:LOL:

Only for you! That's the first sign you've been placed on the 'miserable users' list! :D

Well, if that was truly the case, would love to know what I could have possibly done to get on that list.

CrazyPhuD 12-13-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10273855)
Well, if that was truly the case, would love to know what I could have possibly done to get on that list.

A drunk mod? :shrug:

Spoiler!

007 12-13-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10273859)
A drunk mod? :shrug:

Spoiler!

Yeah, I don't think its that either. I can get to each page fairly quick but the update to place me on the most recent post is taking over 2 minutes sometimes. I have to manually go find the new posts right now as it is quicker.

whoman69 12-13-2013 08:30 AM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/194j...f/original.gif

crossbow 12-13-2013 08:57 AM

What benefits do you hope to achieve with this new software?

I mean besides the obvious ones with aids trees, antifreeze and reputation.