ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Grading the Royals at the Halfway Mark (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274519)

petegz28 07-15-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9813044)
Hos and Gordon have adequate speed on the bags. Put your best OBP guy number one and your best hitter number two. Gordon/Hos does that.

Lough hasn't been a slouch for getting on base.

Nightfyre 07-15-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9813298)
Lough hasn't been a slouch for getting on base.

So you are going to totally marginalize your best hitter by stacking three lefties in a row at the top of the order? :hmmm:

petegz28 07-15-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9813844)
So you are going to totally marginalize your best hitter by stacking three lefties in a row at the top of the order? :hmmm:

WTF do I care about lefties? Seriously. WTF? No one is getting marginalized. I am putting the best 3 hitters at the top that have the best chance of getting on base. Right now, Gordon, Lough, Hosmer is my 1-3 with Perez, Butler, Cain 4-6, Moose, Gia, Escobar 7-9.

duncan_idaho 07-15-2013 03:24 PM

I have no problem with Hosmer in the 2 hole and would far prefer that to ever seeing Alcides Escobar there again.

A lot of teams have moved to that approach, putting a premium hitter in the 2-spot. It has worked quite well for Minnesota with Joe Mauer.

I think freaking out about Hosmer at 2 vs. Hosmer at 3 is just moving deck chairs.

DeezNutz 07-15-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9813844)

Don't set a lineup worrying about innings 7-9. Cross that bridge when you get there.

petegz28 07-15-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9813859)
I have no problem with Hosmer in the 2 hole and would far prefer that to ever seeing Alcides Escobar there again.

A lot of teams have moved to that approach, putting a premium hitter in the 2-spot. It has worked quite well for Minnesota with Joe Mauer.

I think freaking out about Hosmer at 2 vs. Hosmer at 3 is just moving deck chairs.

It's not freaking out. It's pointing out that it is being done at the expense of a better option, imo. Right now I think Lough is the man at #2. Good contact hitter, good speed, helps set the table for Hosmer's power. Mauer is also not a HR hitter where Hosmer is or can be and that's a big difference. I would rather my power guy be hitting with 1 or 2 guys on more than empty bases.

Nightfyre 07-15-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9813860)
Don't set a lineup worrying about innings 7-9. Cross that bridge when you get there.

So you're going to ignore a third+ of a players at-bats, and arguably the most important at-bats since you have now knocked out the starter. There is no way to cross that bridge if you have no one you can effectively sub in for Gordon/Lough/Hos.

DeezNutz 07-15-2013 03:29 PM

Hosmer has 9 HRs on the season, so let's not crown him a "power guy" just yet. And if you're OK with him hitting with 1 or 2 guys on, you should be cool with him hitting in the 2 hole, since Gordon's OBP is strong.

Lough's OBP is too driven by batting average, so we're going to see this go down during the second half.

DeezNutz 07-15-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9813869)
So you're going to ignore a third+ of a players at-bats, and arguably the most important at-bats since you have now knocked out the starter. There is no way to cross that bridge if you have no one you can effectively sub in for Gordon/Lough/Hos.

I'm not batting Lough second, but if he were indeed one of our best hitters, I would not hesitate to set this lineup.

Get your best batters the most ABs. Period.

petegz28 07-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9813870)
Hosmer has 9 HRs on the season, so let's not crown him a "power guy" just yet. And if you're OK with him hitting with 1 or 2 guys on, you should be cool with him hitting in the 2 hole, since Gordon's OBP is strong.

Lough's OBP is too driven by batting average, so we're going to see this go down during the second half.

I am saying Hosmer should be more of a power hitter than Mauer. That being said, Lough is all of .003 behind Hosmer in OPS so why not stick him in the #2 and let the more powerful guy hit behind him?

Nightfyre 07-15-2013 03:31 PM

Pitching splits are real, Deez. Lineup construction does matter as a result of this fact. I have no idea how either one of us is going to convince the other that one philosophy is correct, but damn!

petegz28 07-15-2013 03:33 PM

Comping for a difference in AB's, the best Slugging on our team sits with Butler, Gordon, Hosmer, Lough and Perez. There is your 1-5 in some order and I would stick Lough at #2. That's just me.

petegz28 07-15-2013 03:35 PM

So as it stands right now, anyway, Lough is among the 4 best on the team in OBP, SLG and OPS....so why is it bad to put him at #2 between Gordon and Hosmer?

Plus the intangible is Lough can stretch hits into a double where Hosmer can't thus making Hosmer even more valuable hitting behind him.

DeezNutz 07-15-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9813879)
Pitching splits are real, Deez. Lineup construction does matter as a result of this fact. I have no idea how either one of us is going to convince the other that one philosophy is correct, but damn!

Splits are very real, so this is why I support your theory of going L-R-L-R as much as possible, Ned. o:-)

Get your best hitters the most ABs. I stand by this philosophy above everything else.

Nightfyre 07-15-2013 03:38 PM

Gordon: Bats Left
Lough: Bats Left
Hosmer: Bats Left

A LOOGY can come in and wipe out the top (ie best run producing portion) of your order with the effectiveness of a closer.