ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Making Jerky / Everything BBQ Tips Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276693)

MTG#10 09-27-2013 04:35 PM

Just curious, why do you use thermometers with ribs? Its easy to visually tell when they're done.

Bwana 09-27-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10025260)
Just curious, why do you use thermometers with ribs? Its easy to visually tell when they're done.

Because when it comes to ribs I need to have them perfect. I figure if I have that many hours into something, I want them right. Ask rockymtnchief how my ribs turn out. A hamburger, pork chops and a lot of other things I could give a rip about, but ribs are another story.

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10025475)
Because when it comes to ribs I need to have them perfect. I figure if I have that many hours into something, I want them right. Ask rockymtnchief how my ribs turn out. A hamburger, pork chops and a lot of other things I could give a rip about, but ribs are another story.

:thumb:

Thermometers are the bomb

Dante84 09-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty ****ing serious about my ribs too. Glad there's another one of us on here.

I've starting using a standing rib rack this past year, and it has made all the difference in creating a consistent smoke. I don't know how you have six racks all on the surface, unless its a vertical smoker?? If its offset, you'd have to be rotating racks every 20 minutes!

This rack holder I got from target holds 5 at a time. I position it to where all five are facing the fire, and then rotate on the hour to hit the other side. Rinse and repeat 2 more times for a 4 hour smoke.

You can't tell the difference between rack 1 and rack 5.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10025479)
:thumb:

Thermometers are the bomb

About the only other thing I cook where I use one and am that anal about the product is prime rib. I overcooked a prime ONCE and that was it. If you drop over a C-note on a piece of meat and it ends up overcooked, that sinks in real fast.

Fire Me Boy! 09-27-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10025490)
About the only other thing I cook where I use one and am that anal about the product is prime rib. I overcooked a prime ONCE and that was it. If you drop over a C-note on a piece of meat and it ends up overcooked, that sinks in real fast.

Definitely. I've never done a rib roast without a thermometer.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10025482)
I'm pretty ****ing serious about my ribs too. Glad there's another one of us on here.

I've starting using a standing rib rack this past year, and it has made all the difference in creating a consistent smoke. I don't know how you have six racks all on the surface, unless its a vertical smoker?? If its offset, you'd have to be rotating racks every 20 minutes!

This rack holder I got from target holds 5 at a time. I position it to where all five are facing the fire, and then rotate on the hour to hit the other side. Rinse and repeat 2 more times for a 4 hour smoke.

You can't tell the difference between rack 1 and rack 5.

My smoker is a Yoder YS640 with two racks. I have had several smokers in my day from the walmart special on up and this one is the best by a mile.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10025490)

I totally get it. In a related thread, I mentioned that a good piece of meat will cost me $20 a pop. I know my grill rather well but I'm not going to risk ruining dinner and a fine piece of steak.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10025501)
I totally get it. In a related thread, I mentioned that a good piece of meat will cost me $20 a pop. I know my grill rather well but I'm not going to risk ruining dinner and a fine piece of steak.

Indeed, if I want jerky, I'll make jerky but I avoid turning a good steak or roast into jerky at all costs.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10025494)
Definitely. I've never done a rib roast without a thermometer.

On a side note, I have been thinking about an earlier post you made in this thread. I'm still debating on what temp to roll with on this jerky tomorrow. I may cut the temp down from the 165 and take it a little slower. It's going on the smoker at 6 am, so I have all the time in the world.

Fire Me Boy! 09-27-2013 07:38 PM

Just my 2 cents... I'd smoke it for a couple hours, then move it into a very low temp dehydrator (cooler than room temp, if at all possible). You know your meat, so you know it's possible to oversmoke... I just wouldn't smoke it the entire time.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10025542)
Just my 2 cents... I'd smoke it for a couple hours, then move it into a very low temp dehydrator (cooler than room temp, if at all possible). You know your meat, so you know it's possible to oversmoke... I just wouldn't smoke it the entire time.

With my smoker, I can take care of that by removing any pellets after the initial smoking.

MTG#10 09-27-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

My ribs are amazing, better than any Ive ever had and everyone else that's had them raves about them too. Never used a thermometer though. I use one for any kind of roast/brisket but I can tell when my ribs are perfect by looking at them. Different strokes.

Bwana 09-27-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10025556)
My ribs are amazing, better than any Ive ever had and everyone else that's had them raves about them too. Never used a thermometer though. I use one for any kind of roast/brisket but I can tell when my ribs are perfect by looking at them. Different strokes.

I agree on the different stokes and the end product reviews. I can't order ribs when I'm in a restaurant around here because I know damn well I'll be disappointed. You know darn well some slop monger in the back room isn't putting in the time to do it right and there's a 99% chance they don't have a clue about what they are doing.

MTG#10 09-27-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10025574)
I agree on the different stokes and the end product reviews. I can't order ribs when I'm in a restaurant around here because I know damn well I'll be disappointed. You know darn well some slop monger in the back room isn't putting in the time to do it right and there's a 99% chance they don't have a clue about what they are doing.

Agreed. Ive NEVER had good ribs from a restaurant, not even in Memphis...at least nothing anywhere close to mine. Pretty disappointing really because I often crave ribs but dont feel like doing all the work.