ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy blames himself, not Alex, for Chiefs' sputtering offense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277519)

NinerDoug 10-16-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092281)
This is apparently an "ok" offense: 25th in yards, 26th in yards per play, 27th in completion percentage, 21st in 1st downs, 27th in 3rd down percentage, 21st in penalties, 26th in passing yardage, 28th in yards per pass, 21st in first downs via the pass, 29th in passing 1st down percentage, 21st in qb rating. On the plus side they're 9th in rushing, 12th in rushing yards/game, 12th in rushing average, 10th in rushing first downs and 13th in rushing 1st down percentage.

I guess that's "ok" for some, but I don't see an offense that's good at anything. They're 'ok,' but not great, running the ball, and they're bottom third in every passing category aside from interceptions. This being a team that's pass-first....

The few statistical categories where they're close to or at the top of the league, scoring (9th), time of possession (7th) and turnovers (1st) are primarily attributable to the defense, who's leading the league in TD returns, sacks, passes defensed, 3rd down percentage and turnovers forced.

It's "ok" as long as you have a killer defense. Fact of life.

milkman 10-16-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10092109)
This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.

The Packers and Cowboys marched up and down the field in both your examples, yet still lost.

Why?

Because they don't have our defense.

If they did, they'd be favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Just like if we had their offense, WE would be favored to win the SB.

If THIS team could score "all the points in the world", they'd be damn near unbeatable.

If this offense could score 23 points a game and sustain more than 1 drive in the first 3 qrtrs, they'd be damn near unstoppable.

Anyong Bluth 10-16-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092281)
This is apparently an "ok" offense: 25th in yards, 26th in yards per play, 27th in completion percentage, 21st in 1st downs, 27th in 3rd down percentage, 21st in penalties, 26th in passing yardage, 28th in yards per pass, 21st in first downs via the pass, 29th in passing 1st down percentage, 21st in qb rating. On the plus side they're 9th in rushing, 12th in rushing yards/game, 12th in rushing average, 10th in rushing first downs and 13th in rushing 1st down percentage.

I guess that's "ok" for some, but I don't see an offense that's good at anything. They're 'ok,' but not great, running the ball, and they're bottom third in every passing category aside from interceptions. This being a team that's pass-first....

The few statistical categories where they're close to or at the top of the league, scoring (9th), time of possession (7th) and turnovers (1st) are primarily attributable to the defense, who's leading the league in TD returns, sacks, passes defensed, 3rd down percentage and turnovers forced.

So, it's the Defenses fault for being greedy and wanting to hog all the scores for themselves! ???

milkman 10-16-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 10092340)

Marty deciple?

DaneMcCloud 10-16-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10092349)
If this offense could score 23 points a game and sustain more than 1 drive in the first 3 qrtrs, they'd be damn near unstoppable.

You're basically talking about an additional field goal in each game, since they're averaging 19.5.

Had Avery not fumbled in the Red Zone, that number would be higher.

milkman 10-16-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10092367)
You're basically talking about an additional field goal in each game, since they're averaging 19.5.

Had Avery not fumbled in the Red Zone, that number would be higher.

I am also talking about sustaining drives consistently.

keg in kc 10-16-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 10092340)

You could say that the entire team is "ok" because the defense is "elite" enough to prevent the ineptitude, to date, on offense from costing the team games. But that doesn't change the fact that the offense - judged on its own merit - has been bad.

If or when the offense ascends to the level of a true ball-control unit with real game management in the passing game - which has not thus far happened - the team as a whole will be truly elite. They are not, for instance, the 9ers from 2011, because the offense isn't executing anywhere close to that level. So far.

The real issue here is that people are trying to characterize the Chiefs offense as something it's not: martyball. When the reality is that they're - so far - just a bad unit that can't execute their scheme.

Winning excuses a lot. But I find it beneficial to not wear blinders. Don't get too high when they win, don't get to low when they lose, try my best to see them for exactly what they are. And what I think they are is a championship-level defense and an underperforming offense that I believe may eventually be able to execute well enough to hold their own in january.

keg in kc 10-16-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10092371)

Which would itself lead to more points.

Everybody has this misguided idea that people asking for "better offense" means "more explosive offense". While some more explosive plays would be great, the thing that can take this team over the top will be more 6-8 minute drives, allowing them to control the game on both sides of the ball. Other teams are already having difficulty scoring, imagine if the Chiefs defense is given more opportunity to play with a lead, and the opposition has fewer possessions...

OnTheWarpath15 10-16-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092298)
Hell, if the offense could score 23 or 24 points a game, they'd be damn near unbeatable. Because the defensive scores would take that up around 30.

Similarly, if the offense could convert first downs and sustain drives, they'd be damn near unbeatable.

That's what people who think talking about this stuff is just us "bitching" don't get: what we're really saying is that we see the possibilities for what this team can actually be.

And they could or perhaps should be better than they are. Even sitting at 6-0 there's tons and tons of room for improvement. The sky could really be the limit, if the offense ever begins to click.

This.

SAUTO 10-16-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092298)
Hell, if the offense could score 23 or 24 points a game, they'd be damn near unbeatable. Because the defensive scores would take that up around 30.

Similarly, if the offense could convert first downs and sustain drives, they'd be damn near unbeatable.

That's what people who think talking about this stuff is just us "bitching" don't get: what we're really saying is that we see the possibilities for what this team can actually be.

And they could or perhaps should be better than they are. Even sitting at 6-0 there's tons and tons of room for improvement. The sky could really be the limit, if the offense ever begins to click.

This
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 10-16-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Absolutely. But I think that either Allen and Fisher need their respective "light bulb" to turn on, or they need to be replaced for this to happen.

I'm not a huge fan of Schwartz or Stephenson but it *appears* to me that neither is starting because they're effective swing players. From my POV, it's a mistake not to find a place on the line for them. I'd also like to see Rishaw Johnson, who held his own in the few plays he's been on the field.

Outside of that, Fasaso's return should help to extend drives, especially with he and McGrath on the field. And finally, I wish someone would step up and claim the slot.

Down4Chiefs 10-16-2013 06:57 PM

Long as our punter continues to be lights out like he is,our d shuts them down forcing them to punt deep from their territory giving us good field goal position. Our offense HAS to be able to move 30-40 yards when those oppurtunities present itsef. I think that's the dissapointing part,they've been decent early in the season,but it seems like they've had some really good field position at times set up by the d and haven't capatilized enough on that. Feels like we've left a lot of points on the field that we should've had.

Down4Chiefs 10-16-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092377)
Which would itself lead to more points.

Everybody has this misguided idea that people asking for "better offense" means "more explosive offense". While some more explosive plays would be great, the thing that can take this team over the top will be more 6-8 minute drives, allowing them to control the game on both sides of the ball. Other teams are already having difficulty scoring, imagine if the Chiefs defense is given more opportunity to play with a lead, and the opposition has fewer possessions...

Amen,the other team seems to have a lot of oppurtunitys to make a comeback lol. Luckily our defense is so great it hasn't mattered how many chances teams gets. As well. As our o has come through late in the game.

Marcellus 10-16-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Have we no led every game or almost every game in TOP?

Mr. Laz 10-16-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10092439)
Have we no led every game or almost every game in TOP?

sadly that's because of the defense, not because the offense is driving the ball.

we still have time to develop though

Our offensive line is young and not used to working with each other or in this system. They have also been rotating guys in and out with injuries all year. Better performance from the Oline will improve the offense across the board.

better running game
ability to run longer routes
more confidence for QB

*cross fingers*