ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Engineers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282416)

Grim 03-20-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10504128)
Structural Engineers have to have it for any design that is put out.

I could see that.

Trivers 03-20-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10504126)
I think that is why he said it depends on the discipline.

In structural engineering, you pretty much have to have your PE. (That does not mean that you are a good engineer though, like you said.)

However, for some of my friends that are mechanical engineers, they had no need or desire to even take the EIT, much less the PE.

I stopped after the EIT. Nightmares still. :)

The PE test looked hard!!!

Frosty 03-20-2014 11:39 AM

As an electrical engineer, I would have only really needed a PE if I was designing power systems. I definitely don't need one for what I do (low power control systems).

epitome1170 03-20-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10504146)
I stopped after the EIT. Nightmares still. :)

The PE test looked hard!!!

I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Took the PE, the SE and thinking about taking the California PE as well.

T-Town 03-20-2014 11:53 AM

I did the EIT before I got my job. Shit that was a rough test.

Chief_For_Life58 03-20-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Town (Post 10504217)
I did the EIT before I got my job. Shit that was a rough test.

what is the EIT test like? just a long overview of everything you learned in college?

KC_Lee 03-20-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10503048)
Any enginerds on this board? any field.

Does this count?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SNgNBsCI4EA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger 03-20-2014 12:48 PM

My Dad's a mechanical engineer. I told him the engineer golfing joke a while back. He didn't laugh, but said, "Seems reasonable."

Sigh.

T-Town 03-20-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10504283)
what is the EIT test like? just a long overview of everything you learned in college?

Pretty much. 6 hr test split up into engineering related courses like math, dynamics, ethics, I think chemistry etc. Then a section specific to your discipline of engineering.

Xanathol 03-20-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10504107)
Being a PE does not automatically make you a good engineer. I know numerous PEs that I would not trust a high value project

Preach it brother! A few in our class that none of us could do the math on how they graduated managed to pass the PE with ease. Pay the money for one of those 3 day 'prep' classes and you'd have to misspell your name to not pass it.

srvy 03-20-2014 01:46 PM

Not a Engineer but I work with plenty as a Land Surveyor. Some are pretty smart others a sack of rocks for brains. I mean that in common sense perspective.

Example we just opened a new office where an old warehouse had been renovated. Two weeks after opening me and my crew showed up for work Saturday morning 6 am to find water pouring out of every door the place. I looked in the windows to see more than a foot of water had flooded the building. We call NKC water department the called the office manager to let her know. She is a Electrical Engineer. Well upon her arrival as we sat out in our field trucks we watch her open the trunk her car . Well to our surprise she pulls out a corn broom and dust pan. We look each other in amazement. Then she enters the building wades around inside looking over the place. Well I said there is your Electrical engineer guys standing in a foot of water amongst all kinds of electrical stuff that the power is still on at. When the water was finally turned off by the City it turned out that the fire protection line had ruptured underneath the building of all places. They estimated over 250000 gallons of water flooded the place.

Old joke my Chief of Surveys used to tell the Engineers.

You know the difference between a Land Surveyor and a Engineer?

A land surveyor has the shit on the outside his boots.

The engineer on the inside!

They all seemed to laugh this.

srvy 03-20-2014 01:59 PM

I remember when I sat for my Missouri Professional Land Surveyor National and State exam in Jeff City. The Engineering students take there test the same time. We would watch them pile the books on wheelie carts stacked high.

Me and my Buddy looked at each other and said" We dont have enough books."

Now you can take this for what it is worth as ive never taken the PE test. But many PE's at the office have sat for the 2 day Land Surveyors License and reported it was the biggest bear of them all. Several did not pass the first time and took a few times till they were licensed. Some said F that and never tried again.

Rain Man 03-20-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503433)
Yeah, we just moved across the street last November. We're at Lincoln and 17th.

I think I can see you from my office. Wave at the window. I'm a block away.

Rain Man 03-20-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10503614)
To me and I could be wrong, but you aren't truly an engineer until you have a degree from an acredited school AND have a PE. (depends on discipline)

My job title has engineer in it, but I am not truly am engineer.

I haven't worked in an engineering field for 20 years, but I still identify with it. I got the degree and rightly or wrongly, I think an engineering degree has a good reputation. However, I don't know if my clients think that it's proof that I'm smart or if they think it means that I don't understand people.

Coyote 03-20-2014 02:21 PM

Concur with the rep piece, as it is rigorous. Somewhat timely article citing my buddy (another non-engineer that manages engineers) here on the state of some projects that I used to be involved with:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nic-with-long/
Though the math is wrong as noted in the comments. Kind of bugs me as a guy with a physics degree while my quoted buddy’s undergrad was math….