ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music KISSTORY (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282813)

htismaqe 04-09-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550391)
I was more into classic rock during high school (Led Zeppelin, The Who) and then got into NWOBHM after I graduated.

I was into Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Hendrix when I was young because my dad listened to it. I got my first guitar when I was 11. In junior high and high school, I got into neoclassical stuff (Yngwie Malmsteen mainly), Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, and Judas Priest.

I actually got into NWOBHM through the backdoor - I discovered thrash and speed metal in the mid-80's and every time I read or heard an interview, they mentioned Diamond Head or Motorhead or Maiden. So I had to check them out and I ended up liking NWOBHM more than I ever liked thrash.

Frosty 04-09-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10550402)
I was into Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Hendrix when I was young because my dad listened to it. I got my first guitar when I was 11. In junior high and high school, I got into neoclassical stuff (Yngwie Malmsteen mainly), Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, and Judas Priest.

I actually got into NWOBHM through the backdoor - I discovered thrash and speed metal in the mid-80's and every time I read or heard an interview, they mentioned Diamond Head or Motorhead or Maiden. So I had to check them out and I ended up liking NWOBHM more than I ever liked thrash.

I'm thinking you must be in your early 40's?

The year I graduated, I was working in a grocery store and became friends with a guy that was really into metal and hard rock. He introduced me to a lot of music that I hadn't heard before.

We started going up to Portland to a big record store there and would check out their import section. With no internet or magazine coverage, we knew next to nothing about these bands and would frequently buy stuff based on the album cover. The first two albums I bought were Holocaust "The Nightcomers" and Tank "Filth Hounds of Hades" and I was blown away.

I spent a ton of money there. My favorites from that time were Holocaust, Tank, Angel Witch, Saxon, Twisted Sister (hey - "Under the Blade" was an awesome song and album), Krokus, Ozzy, Black Sabbath and a bunch of others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

frankotank 04-09-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10541760)
:thumb: Criss' solo album was the first thing I ever bought with my own money, Hard Luck Woman you say? DAMN good song, one that not a lot of people think of when they think KISS...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N5zzTzGCtQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't heard it in a long long time but I'd still know every single word....the Frehley solo album....I love that damn thing! every song on it is good. Back In The New York Groove, to my knowledge, was the only hit off of the 4 solos.

Nzoner 04-09-2014 09:27 AM

I was a KISS fan as a teenager in the 70's but can also say the draw was the stage show much more than the music.Had the opportunity to see the original line-up in '79 and it was in a word,wow.

Now,as an adult I have a few of their songs,probably most listen to Shock Me from Alive II.Again,I'll say what I said earlier,I look at them as I do a great popcorn movie,just turn off your brain and enjoy the "rocket ride."

Halfcan 04-09-2014 09:30 AM

Kiss had about 7 good years-after that they have been milking it. Playing the same songs for 30 years. I have read Peter and Ace's books-pretty good stuff. I guess Paul's book is out this week-what a Dbag-prob won't read it. Gene is one disgusting human being-that is for sure.

Hope this will be their retirement tour- but they will keep going until they are pimping kiss wheelchairs and adult diapers.

htismaqe 04-09-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550437)
I'm thinking you must be in your early 40's?

Exactly 40.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550437)
Twisted Sister (hey - "Under the Blade" was an awesome song and album)

I'm listening to "Under the Blade" right now! ROFL

htismaqe 04-09-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10550476)
Shock Me

The song Buckcherry ripped off...

Nzoner 04-09-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10550524)
The song Buckcherry ripped off...

Haven't heard that version

htismaqe 04-09-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10550529)
Haven't heard that version

I posted it a while back. Just a second.

htismaqe 04-09-2014 09:51 AM

Found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQJO1klSB9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauaDVVPGW8

Nzoner 04-09-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10550551)
Found it.

Definitely a rip off,didn't much like the song either.

Deberg_1990 04-09-2014 10:11 AM

Who could forget this? A classic!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zmy5WhWdQCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 04-09-2014 06:41 PM

Maybe my favorite effort from Ace...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M2DIqdm3kTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha 04-10-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550341)
I'm 50 and didn't really care for KISS when I was a kid and don't really care for them now. I just listened to the videos that Scott Free posted and they did nothing to change my mind (and holy shit - "Hard Luck Woman" does sound like early Rod Stewart).

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10550522)
Exactly 40.

This is crazy to me. Frosty, I always pictured you to be in your late 20s based on your posts. htismage, I had you pegged for late 40s mostly based on your favorite bands.

htismaqe 04-10-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10553100)
This is crazy to me. Frosty, I always pictured you to be in your late 20s based on your posts. htismage, I had you pegged for late 40s mostly based on your favorite bands.

I was exposed to music at a very early age. My dad was a hippie. So when I became musically "aware" I was still listening to many of the things he listened to. In some ways, I was always a few years behind the "in" thing because I spent those first few years discovering music older than me rather than new stuff...