ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Mark Cuban: 'Horrible' state of college basketball hurting NBA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291795)

blaise 04-10-2015 09:26 AM

NBA talent kids in college probably have developed bad habits, too, just because they've always been better than other kids on the floor. You see it in youth sports. A kid that's just an exceptional athlete can just outrun, jump, etc. And so they don't need to work on skills until they move up.
I imagine that goes on. Some college players know they can beat college kids off the dribble or just shoot over them, so they do. Once they get to the NBA all the players are skilled and practiced and can defend and shoot. So they have to work on their actual game.
I don't know how much a college coach can do about it. He can try, but kids will do what they do. Some people are only so receptive to coaching.

Pitt Gorilla 04-10-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11428533)
Mandatory minor leagues for the NBA(ala baseball) would pretty much solve the entire issue.

If players know they are going to have to spend several years in a minor league system for the NBA they are much less likely to come out early. The NBA could promote players through the system faster for the truly special athlete or the ones who are better prepared.

baseball doesn't have "mandatory" minor leagues. Where did you get that?

Reerun_KC 04-10-2015 09:39 AM

LOL at Cuban, NBA is a god awful product don't blame the NCAA on your trash league full of thugs

Mr. Laz 04-10-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11428674)
baseball doesn't have "mandatory" minor leagues. Where did you get that?

whatever, i believe there has only been like 20+ players who skipped the minors completely.

The key is that CBB players will know that getting drafted is only the first step and will work harder on basics and some will even stay longer.

blaise 04-10-2015 09:44 AM

I've been to D League games. I don't know what the coaches were asking the players to do, but to me it looked like most guys were just trying to get their shots.

dirk digler 04-10-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 11428687)
LOL at Cuban, NBA is a god awful product don't blame the NCAA on your trash league full of thugs

The NBA is far superior to college basketball it is not even funny. Try watching it sometime and get out of your KU bubble.

Saul Good 04-10-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Ha

Buehler445 04-10-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 11428631)
Brandon Jennings did it and Emmanuel Mudiay did it this year. Jennings ended up being drafted 10th overall and is having a nice career. Mudiay will likely go top-5 in this year's draft.

Brandon Jennings is the one I'm thinking of. I wonder if this will kind of take care of the one and done problem in college. I think I'd view it as a paid internship vs an unpaid one.

Pitt Gorilla 04-10-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11428694)
whatever, i believe there has only been like 20+ players who skipped the minors completely.

The key is that CBB players will know that getting drafted is only the first step and will work harder on basics and some will even stay longer.

The D league already exists if you're not good enough. Baseball is completely different from basketball.

Eleazar 04-10-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11428694)

That's because it's based on whether they are ready for the show or not.

Pitt Gorilla 04-10-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

The NBA is as good as it has been in some time and is a far better product than college basketball. Better skill, better athletes.

Mr. Kotter 04-10-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

When's the last time you watched a good NBA game? 1998???

Mr. Laz 04-10-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11428786)
The D league already exists if you're not good enough. Baseball is completely different from basketball.

Maybe if the NBA handled the prospecta a little more like baseball they wouldn't have an issue.

Instead they draft guys who aren't ready,play guys who aren't ready and then blame college for not getting them ready.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 11428723)
The NBA is far superior to college basketball it is not even funny. Try watching it sometime and get out of your KU bubble.

This. College hoops is an absolute joke.

tk13 04-11-2015 12:29 AM

The skill level is only going to get wider. I enjoy CBB, but it consists mostly of one and dones, and guys who aren't good enough to get drafted. You're never going to get guys staying through their junior or senior years who are top 15 NBA guys. The culture has changed. I'm sure they could increase scoring but changing some rules, but the talent gap isn't going to get closer.

I'm amazed no one has posted the Kendrick Perkins 9 step travel in here yet. Or maybe they have and I missed it.