ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Your final 53 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339559)

Chief Roundup 08-28-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15805128)
They'll expose the RBs, why? Cause every team has 5 RBs they like, it's a dime a dozen position.

Ok...Not sure what your point is here. We would not be exposing Bell unless he wanted to go somewhere else. Since he has said publicly that he is glad that he was given the opportunity to come back here and we all know this is the best place to have an opportunity at another SB. It is just one less player we have to expose to the Waiver wire that they may not want to expose while we get a player to IR with a designation of return or to the PUP.
I am simply pointing out that is a great thing and wondering if we have any other players that we can do that with.

PurpleJesus28 08-28-2021 07:03 PM

I'm wondering about the wr Powell,surely they'll keep him and give him some time to develop,won't they ?

saphojunkie 08-28-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15804809)
Not happening. He has a $4.75 M cap hit. We've already paid him the prorated $2 M signing bonus, so we're still paying him $2.75M this year. He'd be the starter this year except Smith has exceeded all expectations. TBH, I doubt he'll come back next year, he'll retire and play doctor in Montreal.

It’s 2.75 million you’re paying no matter what. The real question is if you would rather have a different OL as a backup who can swing. It might be more valuable to pay LDT not to play but keep a guy you can use vs losing someone just because you don’t want dead cap.

ThyKingdomCome15 08-28-2021 07:14 PM

Everything I'm reading points to Derick Gore going to the practice squad. I'm fine with that as long as he clears waivers. That's a tough one.

ThyKingdomCome15 08-28-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28 (Post 15805143)
I'm wondering about the wr Powell,surely they'll keep him and give him some time to develop,won't they ?

Powell has been outplayed by Kemp and Fountain. Plus Kemp is a special teams staple. I'd be a little surprised if he makes it. I'd be even more surprised he makes it through waivers.

oldman 08-28-2021 07:18 PM

CR just explained the differnce well. Once that vested vet is cut, he hs the say in where he signs after the 24 hour period. A non-vested player can be claimed and has to sign with the team that claimed him. In other words Bell could just wait for the Chiefs to call, Fortson would have to sign with the team that claimed him.
Once that 4 PM (E) time has passed, you can take a player you kept and put him on IR Designated for Return and sign a vested vet to take his place. The waived player (non-vested) can't sign until after the 24 hour period and is not claimed.
Saying you'll just put Player X on the PS is fine if you can get him back after the 24 hour period but the Chiefs have a few young players that have made a splash during preseason that may be gone. Fountain, T. Ward, and PTW are good examples. No one is going to beat you to Dieter.

R Clark 08-28-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15805111)
Do you have reading comprehension problems? I said that it is just a move to allow us to not expose someone that we cannot just resign the next day to the roster to the same contract and all that.

I get it , just trying to make a joke about his TD catch . I’d be surprised if it goes down for him as you explained but we shall see

PurpleJesus28 08-28-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15805153)
Powell has been outplayed by Kemp and Fountain. Plus Kemp is a special teams staple. I'd be a little surprised if he makes it. I'd be even more surprised he makes it through waivers.

Yeah i get that, i guess.I know he wasnt a super high draft pick,but definitely had hopes of him playing better.

ThyKingdomCome15 08-28-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28 (Post 15805159)
Yeah i get that, i guess.I know he wasnt a super high draft pick,but definitely had hopes of him playing better.

To be honest I don't think he got a ton of chances. The QB's seemed to have more trust in other guys. Fortson, Fountain, and Kemp do a great job high pointing the ball. They're very aggressive when the ball is in the air.

Powell tracks the ball well but doesn't fight for it in the same manner. I don't think he's far behind them. He showed some good things. It's a deep roster from top to bottom.

It'll be very interesting to see if they give him the nod for being a drafted player. I'm not sure what kind of message that would send to the team. Either way whoever wins that spot could be inactive on game days.

BlackOp 08-28-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

He would have to be on a teams active 53 if he is picked up...there is going to be a lot of available WRs in a few days.

I'd be surprised if he is claimed...

Why Not? 08-28-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

That’s the current culture of the franchise. The depth is so good and the team is so talented, that cutting drafts picks who didn’t even necessarily look bad (just nothing super special), is now a realistic possibility. Hell, I wouldn’t be jaw hit the floor shocked (not predicting just wouldn’t be totally shocked) if Gray didn’t make it. Again, he will make it, but it would give you pause if you had to bet your farm on it. That’s where the Chiefs are at this time in history. You ain’t good enough? GTFO, I don’t care where we found you.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-28-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15805152)
Everything I'm reading points to Derick Gore going to the practice squad. I'm fine with that as long as he clears waivers. That's a tough one.

Kinda depends on if teams make it thru the weekend without a RB injury. Gore showed during preseason but if a team signs him he'll have to be on their 53.

dlphg9 08-28-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 15805297)
That’s the current culture of the franchise. The depth is so good and the team is so talented, that cutting drafts picks who didn’t even necessarily look bad (just nothing super special), is now a realistic possibility. Hell, I wouldn’t be jaw hit the floor shocked (not predicting just wouldn’t be totally shocked) if Gray didn’t make it. Again, he will make it, but it would give you pause if you had to bet your farm on it. That’s where the Chiefs are at this time in history. You ain’t good enough? GTFO, I don’t care where we found you.

I'd be extremely extremely surprised if they cut Gray a 5th round pick. I think the front office has its mind made up for the most part before TC begins on most of the 53 players they're keeping. There are going to be multiple guys that had good preseasons and camps that won't make the team and people are gonna bitch. There will be guys that didn't have great camps and preseason that make it over those other guys who looked good. It happens every year.

Halfcan 08-28-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15805306)
Kinda depends on if teams make it thru the weekend without a RB injury. Gore showed during preseason but if a team signs him he'll have to be on their 53.

Ravens need one bad now.

ThyKingdomCome15 08-29-2021 11:28 AM

They say RB is the easiest position to fill. Even if you sign one off the street and need him to play in three days. You can learn a hand full of plays, if not more, and be good to go. With that said, I have NO confidence in Gore making it through waivers.

It would be plain stupid to put him out there after the Preseason he's had. I very much hope I'm wrong. With the injury history to CEH and Jet it's not wise to cut him.

Give him O'Daniel's ST's spot and call it a day. Gore isn't your run of the mill dudes off the street. This kid wore an Alabama jersey for a reason. He's showed us why.