ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Retirement Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352954)

Mosbonian 05-10-2024 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 17514898)
I'm not gonna lie, I had those types of thoughts last month. But, I'm prepared for retirement and decided that me and my family deserve the best that I have left. The job just kept getting more and more in the way of that goal. Bottom line - I've never heard anyone on their death bed say " I wish I had worked more". That statement alone made my decision for me.

Excellent mentality....what time I do have left here on earth family deserves the best I have left.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-10-2024 06:12 PM

Since retirement, I’ve taken over most of the cooking. Been trying new recipes. Some I like, some not so much. But, that’s part of the process.

Made Shepherd’s Pie tonight. Pretty good, but I can see some alterations I’m going to make the next time.

Lord knows I’m never going to be a threat to Gordon Ramsey or Bobby Flay, but maybe I’ll make the cooking these proud one of these days.:thumb:

BigRedChief 05-10-2024 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 17515271)
Excellent mentality....what time I do have left here on earth family deserves the best I have left.

yeah, I’m adopting this mindset and put it in my signature.

So, I retired earlier than planned. I still can have a great retirement. I also gained a couple of years of not working. When you are 65, time is worth more than money.

Mosbonian 05-10-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (Post 17516009)
Since retirement, I’ve taken over most of the cooking. Been trying new recipes. Some I like, some not so much. But, that’s part of the process.

Made Shepherd’s Pie tonight. Pretty good, but I can see some alterations I’m going to make the next time.

Lord knows I’m never going to be a threat to Gordon Ramsey or Bobby Flay, but maybe I’ll make the cooking these proud one of these days.:thumb:

Been doing that myself as much as possible...mostly the normal things...meatloaf, tacos, spaghetti and meatballs, baked chicken, etc. I am nowhere near as good as my wife but in the last month no one has had to go to the hospital.

Made a couple of cakes...both peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies....

But the hard stuff my wife is having to teach me.

andoman 05-10-2024 08:02 PM

Not a frequent poster here, but retired a few weeks ago. I got a ton of info on YouTube, starting with this guy (https://www.youtube.com/@joekuhnlovesretirement), although he can be a bit repetitive. Once you start watching retirement videos, the YouTube algorithm will recommend more, some good, some folks just like to blather on. But overall, still a good resource.

BigRedChief 05-10-2024 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoman (Post 17516146)
Not a frequent poster here, but retired a few weeks ago. I got a ton of info on YouTube, starting with this guy (https://www.youtube.com/@joekuhnlovesretirement), although he can be a bit repetitive. Once you start watching retirement videos, the YouTube algorithm will recommend more, some good, some folks just like to blather on. But overall, still a good resource.

Looks good. Been watching a lot of you tube videos like these to get my education level where it needs to be to make educated decisions about all this retirement stuff.

Katie 05-11-2024 12:36 AM

I want to go back to work, it was a lot less work.

Rain Man 05-28-2024 04:25 PM

Yielding to peer pressure from you other oldies, I have announced my retirement, though it's a retirement with an encore.

I'm going work-free in September of 2024, but in the summer of 2025 I'll come back for three months to work on a specific annual contract that I've been working on for several years. Then in September of 2025 I'll go fishing or whatever for good.

TrebMaxx 05-28-2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17533190)
Yielding to peer pressure from you other oldies, I have announced my retirement, though it's a retirement with an encore.

I'm going work-free in September of 2024, but in the summer of 2025 I'll come back for three months to work on a specific annual contract that I've been working on for several years. Then in September of 2025 I'll go fishing or whatever for good.

Congrats!

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-28-2024 05:15 PM

Quote:

Good for you, time to enjoy life.:toast:

ChiTown 05-28-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Cheers!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-28-2024 05:57 PM

This should be an interesting week of cooking for me.

Tonight was Voodoo Pasta, which is blackened chicken with pasta, Alfredo sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, and hot sauce on the side. I've thought about adding some peppers into the mix, but the family seems to like it as is, so don't screw up a good thing. Add in some salad and garlic bread, and that's a quick and filing meal.

Tomorrow night will be Tuscan Chicken over Orzo and then Thursday night is my first real adventure- Beef Tenderloin with a creamy mushroom sauce and garlic Parmesan asparagus. That's going to have a lot of moving parts, so I'm hoping everything turns out well.

There's little worry I'm going to show up on Iron Chef anytime soon, but I enjoying tracking down new recipes and giving it a shot. So far, no major disasters and a few dishes I've cranked out recently have been requested multiple times.

Considering the fact 90% of my cooking before retirement was either centered around ground meat or BBQ'ing something, I'm getting quite adventurous in my old age. *grin*

Mosbonian 05-29-2024 04:15 AM

Quote:

And you thought peer pressure was the territory of the high school agers....

Congratulations on the announcement of your retirement....September will come quickly and all of a sudden you are one of us.

Prepare to enjoy making your lawn look like the greens at Augusta and yelling at every kid that dares to walk on your lawn.

Also...the fun thing to do is find all the places you get free coffee and a discount on your dinner. 😁

KC Dan 05-29-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Congrats! I'm still trying to find my groove but will once my hand surgery heals. Enjoy!!! You've earned retirement

BigOlChiefsfan 05-29-2024 01:56 PM

Quote:

Good of you to come back for that annual contract contribution. Buy some 'celebration quality' whiskey with a paycheck is my advice. While we've got #15 playing here - you never know what we might need to celebrate.