ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

Direckshun 07-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775787)
The whole Talia plotline is a complete waste of time.

I mean, at the end of the movie she's fighting HARD so she can die in a nuclear explosion.

What?

She's fighting hard to preserve her father's vision, for what it's worth.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775790)
Eh. I don't know. When he was pisspounding Bane, I thought it was a pretty good boss beatdown. The only reason Catwoman had to come back was because after he had annihilated Bane is because Talia stuffed a shiv in his ribs. He had beaten Bane.

I forget which member said it in this thread, but both were saved by the women in their lives.

Bat's side got the one-up on Bane's in this particular instance because Bane's helper ran off seeing to the city's annihilation.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775790)
Eh. I don't know. When he was pisspounding Bane, I thought it was a pretty good boss beatdown.

He got his ass kicked by Bane earlier.

Now he gets his back broken, does a few pushups and pullups in a hole, and he can come back and beat Bane?

It's sloppy as shit and not very satisfying, RAR BATROCKY BEAT HIM moment or not.

tk13 07-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775787)
The whole Talia plotline is a complete waste of time.

I mean, at the end of the movie she's fighting HARD so she can die in a nuclear explosion.

What?

No terrorist would ever do that.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775796)

Now he gets his back broken, does a few pushups and pullups in a hole, and he can come back and beat Bane?

It's sloppy as shit and not very satisfying, RAR BATROCKY BEAT HIM moment or not.

His back was screwed up. Not broken. But after they got it lined out, he'd get back into shape if all he did for 6 months if all he had to do was work out. And it is more about mentally beating Bane than physically.

I guess I'm not expecting as much as you are.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775804)
His back was screwed up. Not broken. But after they got it lined out, he'd get back into shape if all he did for 6 months if all he had to do was work out. And it is more about mentally beating Bane than physically.

That's how I interpreted it.

The back breaking was clearly alluded to, but his back was not broken.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

I guess I'm not expecting as much as you are.

Batman was pretty much reduced to Rocky.

He's deeper than that.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8775806)
That's how I interpreted it.

The back breaking was clearly alluded to, but his back was not broken.

Well, they said that the vertebrae was sticking out and they had to put it back in. That's when they tied him up and beat on him some then told him to stay until he can stand.

tk13 07-29-2012 11:32 AM

I do have to say I am amazed at how much people are dissecting this movie. I think some people are trying too hard to be smart here.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

And it is more about mentally beating Bane than physically.

He physically beat Bane with brute strength.

A few months after he couldn't even touch him.

Did they have Super P90X in that prison?

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775809)
Batman was pretty much reduced to Rocky.

He's deeper than that.

Disagree.

There isn't really much different than him making Azreal take his armor off. He went after Bane's mask and exposed him to tremendous pain. Same shit in my mind.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8775811)
I do have to say I am amazed at how much people are dissecting this movie. I think some people are trying too hard to be smart here.

I liked the movie, but reading criticisms punches a few holes in it.

I don't buy the way Batman beat Bane after reflecting on it at.

It's lazy, sloppy screenwriting.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775810)
Well, they said that the vertebrae was sticking out and they had to put it back in. That's when they tied him up and beat on him some then told him to stay until he can stand.

bulging disk <> broken back

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775814)
Disagree.

There isn't really much different than him making Azreal take his armor off. He went after Bane's mask and exposed him to tremendous pain. Same shit in my mind.

So Batman was too dumb to figure that out the first time?

No one ever tried to attack Bane's weak spot before?

Come on.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775812)

It was a mental thing. It was alluded to in the movie that the first time, he went in there to die. He came back fearing death so he fought smarter instead of just brawling. And before he had done nothing for 8 years. So doing anything would be compared to P90X.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8775811)

I'm not overanalyzing. I'm in the camp that it was super entertaining and all these criticisms are off base IMO.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775818)
So Batman was too dumb to figure that out the first time?

No one ever tried to attack Bane's weak spot before?

Come on.

Apparently. He didn't go after it. He tried to just beat him like he beat everyone else.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8775824)
Apparently. He didn't go after it.

LMAO

Batman's pretty dumb for a guy who's supposed to be a genius level IQ.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775812)

I'm pretty sure he was pisspounding Batman the second time as well until Batman landed a shot to the Goatse mask.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775828)
LMAO

Batman's pretty dumb for a guy who's supposed to be a genius level IQ.

Meh. I'm not worried about it. Like I said, he locked himself in his house for 8 years. Then he trained for 6 months specifically to fight Bane. Not all that unreasonable.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 11:47 AM

After Batman beat Bane he yelled "YO ADRIAN"

tk13 07-29-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775816)
I liked the movie, but reading criticisms punches a few holes in it.

I don't buy the way Batman beat Bane after reflecting on it at.

It's lazy, sloppy screenwriting.

You're still trying too hard. I agree it was a bit Rocky, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was lazy screenwriting. You're trying too hard to be pretentious. There are literally thousands of movies that are told as redemption stories.

Although I think there's a bit more to it than that. Bruce went into that first fight almost expecting to die. He even asked Bane that after he beat him down. Bruce had become a recluse and had become a selfish, distrusting person.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 12:10 PM

I didn't even come up with that, I'm hardly trying to be critical. But it hits home pretty hard.

What Batman did didn't feel like a Batman solution. It felt like generic action hero bullshit.

Lazy, sloppy, unsatisfying.

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8775730)
So, indeed, the child is mentioned first, the implication/assumption is put forth that it's Bane, and then they mention the plague/mask, and then go right back to the child story. So, clearly, unless Bane somehow grew up outside the hole, then accidentally tripped and fell back in, it's impossible for him to get beaten up and need the mask.

---------

First scene of Batman in the prison (after the one where Bane tells him his plan and says, "When Gotham is in ashes, then you have my permission to die."

Warden: "They pay me more than that to keep you alive."

(prisoners tying rope around one man)

W: "He will try to climb."

Batman: "Has anyone ever made it?"

W: "Of course not."

(man fails)

(blind old man in other cell mumbles in foreign language)

W: "He says there is one who did. A child. A child born in this hell."

B: "Bane?"

W: "An old legend. Nothing more."

Next scene in the prison, after Bane sets off all the bombs and gives his speech in the football stadium and then frees everyone in the prison.

(Batman falls out of bed onto floor, tries to get up.)

(Old blind man muttering.)

W: "He says you must first fix your back."

B: "How does he know?"

W: "He was the prison doctor, (and) a morphine addict... (inaudible dialogue, something about "he took care of the prisoners here" I think)... including your master, Bane. Many years ago, it was a time of plague. Some of the other prsoners attacked Bane. In the doctor's fumbling attempts to repair the damage, it left him in perpetual agony. The mask holds the pain at bay."

B: "Bane, is the child you spoke of, he was born here?"

(story of the warlord's daughter)

W: "This is Bane's prison now, he wouldn't want this story told."

Ok, that's how I remember it. It's never said that the child is Bane, but it's never said that it isn't. Just that the prison is his. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story of Bane protecting the child doesn't come up until the end of the move with Talia....is that right?

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8775796)

Did you expect them to spend an hour showing his full recovery? No, you didn't. They do that in movies all the time. Show a person weak....then show them "working through it"....then show them back to full strength. Why?....because nobody wants to see an hour of them doing exercises.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 01:37 PM

It should be mentioned that the greater physical feat here was not having his disk bulged by Bane and then recovering from it, but not dying from getting stabbed in the ribs.

Sassy Squatch 07-29-2012 01:45 PM

Bane implys that Batman is weak from not training for 8 years during the first fight. Saying something like peace has made you weak, victory has defeated you.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8776033)
Did you expect them to spend an hour showing his full recovery? No, you didn't. They do that in movies all the time. Show a person weak....then show them "working through it"....then show them back to full strength. Why?....because nobody wants to see an hour of them doing exercises.

I don't need to see that.

I need to see a more believable scenario than "Batman beats on Bane's mask, a weakness Bane had no idea could render him helpless."

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776180)
I don't need to see that.

I need to see a more believable scenario than "Batman beats on Bane's mask, a weakness Bane had no idea could render him helpless."

It plays into the whole "fear of death" deal. He lost he first time because he didn't fear death. The second fight he was afraid of death, therefore making him fight harder because he didn't want to die.

At least that's my take on it.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 02:39 PM

He fought harder! Batman is Rocky!

Weak.

Bruce Wayne is a ****ing genius. He should have done something clever instead of RARGH IT'S BAT POWER TIME. It cheapens the character.

JD10367 07-29-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8776024)
Ok, that's how I remember it. It's never said that the child is Bane, but it's never said that it isn't. Just that the prison is his. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story of Bane protecting the child doesn't come up until the end of the move with Talia....is that right?

It's mentioned in that whole scene at the end of my post which I summed up as "story of the warlord's daughter" (although I obviously mistyped and meant to say "story of the warlord's g/f"). Batman's warden talks about how the warlord was supposed to go in the hole, his pregnant g/f went in instead, the child was raised in the hole, one day the doctor forgot to lock the gate, the prisoners came for the woman, the child tries to attack them, the child's protector grabs the child, they show the protector crouching down behind a wall with the child and we assume the mother is raped/killed, and through all of that we are working on the erroneous assumption that the child is Bane and the protector is unknown, when in reality the child is Tania and the protector is Bane. Point being, if we're supposed to be working under the assumption, as Bruce Wayne is, that the child is Bane, then the fact that Bane is attacked by the inmates and thus needs the mask makes no sense at all. (In fact, in this whole scene, they show the child climbing to freedom while the protector is pulled down by the prisoners, so if we'd simply stopped and thought about it...)

ThaVirus 07-29-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Bruce Wayne is a ****ing genius. He should have done something clever instead of RARGH IT'S BAT POWER TIME. It cheapens the character.
Something clever like what?

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8776198)
Something clever like what?

Beats me. I'm not a genius gazillionaire, or a highly-acclaimed director writing one.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 03:20 PM

Here's a real easy solution:

Bruce figures out Talia was the kid Bane got ****ed up protecting.

Bruce attacks her/captures her instead of attacking Bane, in order to get him at a disadvantage/take advantage of his emotional attachment.

That is pretty shallow and still would have been a lot better than RARGH BATMAN PUNCH HARD.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 03:22 PM

Also, Catwoman saving Batman's ass at the last second was really stupid.

We didn't even hear the batpod making noise busting in? Come on.

ThaVirus 07-29-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776256)

Bruce attacks her/captures her instead of attacking Bane, in order to get him at a disadvantage/take advantage of his emotional attachment.

That is pretty shallow and still would have been a lot better than RARGH BATMAN PUNCH HARD.

That sounds even less characteristic of Batman than a straight up brawl.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776262)

Aren't you a fan of the Lord of the Rings?

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8776196)
It's mentioned in that whole scene at the end of my post which I summed up as "story of the warlord's daughter" (although I obviously mistyped and meant to say "story of the warlord's g/f"). Batman's warden talks about how the warlord was supposed to go in the hole, his pregnant g/f went in instead, the child was raised in the hole, one day the doctor forgot to lock the gate, the prisoners came for the woman, the child tries to attack them, the child's protector grabs the child, they show the protector crouching down behind a wall with the child and we assume the mother is raped/killed, and through all of that we are working on the erroneous assumption that the child is Bane and the protector is unknown, when in reality the child is Tania and the protector is Bane. Point being, if we're supposed to be working under the assumption, as Bruce Wayne is, that the child is Bane, then the fact that Bane is attacked by the inmates and thus needs the mask makes no sense at all. (In fact, in this whole scene, they show the child climbing to freedom while the protector is pulled down by the prisoners, so if we'd simply stopped and thought about it...)

you're right....I knew you'd know with your access to the movie. I just couldn't remember the whole scene.

JD10367 07-29-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776262)

Batman had kicked Bane through the door. It wasn't there.

Jerm 07-29-2012 04:52 PM

The greatest cinematic experience I've had since..........The Dark Knight. It was even better for me than watching The Avengers in the theater, and I loved The Avengers.

An absolute epic masterpiece, just not enough words and superlatives for me to rave about...love it, seeing it again ASAP.

Nolan's vision of Batman, the characters, and his world are paralleled by NO OTHER incarnation of Batman...he is the ruler. The way he was able to make three distinct films that were all incredible while tying in ALL of them into one tight story was just remarkable IMO.

LOTR is my favorite movie trilogy but Nolan's Batman is like 1/4 of a step behind it.

MIND...BLOWN...

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8776370)
That sounds even less characteristic of Batman than a straight up brawl.

Bruce Wayne is a cunning genius. He'd think up something even more ingenious to defeat Bane if it came down to it.

To reduce him to Rocky in black kevlar is cheap, shitty writing.

How do you think he got out of this?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...pg06_super.jpg

luv 07-29-2012 05:10 PM

Is GoChiefs going against the norm again? How unusual.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 05:36 PM

*shrug*

It's a pretty valid complaint.

I liked the movie, but that scene felt off.

Batman wouldn't just go charging in against a guy who swatted him like a fly the first time.

Reaper16 07-29-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776534)

Batman wouldn't just go charging in against a guy who swatted him like a fly the first time.

No, see, he would charge Bane because he became scared to die!

Err, um, wut.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776256)

I disagree. That's not a better ending. IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8776553)
No, see, he would charge Bane because he became scared to die!

Err, um, wut.

He was merely trying to save Gotham. He sacrificed himself in the end anyway. Plus he needed the trigger, which everybody believed Bane had. How was he going to get it?

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 06:05 PM

Batman is a lot smarter than CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE.

In fact you can argue him charging into that giant fight like a deus ex machina was about the dumbest course of action he could possibly take if he wanted to survive and save Gotham.

Given the complicated machinations foisted upon us by Nolan at other times during the movie, it sure was a WTF sequence. I mean, how about taking out the dumb Talia subplot and putting a little more thought into the main character?

Probably took the movie down about 2 points for me.

lcarus 07-29-2012 06:25 PM

I was hoping for a Talia vs Catwoman fight at the end. Would have been cool.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8776634)
I was hoping for a Talia vs Catwoman fight at the end. Would have been cool.

Sounds like a waste of time. Catwoman's only function in the movie was to help Batman. Her character arc was very shallow.

Movie needed more Batman and more JGL. They should have had JGL do a lot of Catwoman's shit.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776585)
Batman is a lot smarter than CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE.

In fact you can argue him charging into that giant fight like a deus ex machina was about the dumbest course of action he could possibly take if he wanted to survive and save Gotham.

Given the complicated machinations foisted upon us by Nolan at other times during the movie, it sure was a WTF sequence. I mean, how about taking out the dumb Talia subplot and putting a little more thought into the main character?

Probably took the movie down about 2 points for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776665)
Sounds like a waste of time. Catwoman's only function in the movie was to help Batman. Her character arc was very shallow.

Movie needed more Batman and more JGL. They should have had JGL do a lot of Catwoman's shit.

I can kind of agree with both of those in theory, but IMO the twist was good and Nolan made it work. It could have maybe been a little better without those things but the movie was so damn good (IMO of course) why change it.

The one thing Catwoman was good for was adding to the horror of batman getting shitkicked. I thought her contribution to that scene was tremendous.

luv 07-29-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Did you say you liked this movie? Doesn't sound like it.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 07:42 PM

I love it like fat chicks love cake.

I enjoyed the steak dinner Nolan served up last time, more, though.

Sure-Oz 07-29-2012 08:18 PM

Saw it again and loved it the same. The 2nd fight I agree could've been better. But didn't batman not know that mask was a 'weakness' until after the prison? That said he did in a way get higher ground and not going all out charging the 2nd time. Bane was beaten until Talia snuck in.

I'll likely see it one more time.

lcarus 07-29-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

I agree that Catwoman's role in the story was pretty shallow in a way, and a Talia/Catwoman "cat fight" would have been pretty shallow as well, but I would have liked to see it just because I'm a dork like that.

Sure-Oz 07-29-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776750)
I love it like fat chicks love cake.

I enjoyed the steak dinner Nolan served up last time, more, though.

I'd say Batman was smarter in the dark knight but he had gone through alot after that movie. he definitely was older, more broken. This was the end of Batman's time obviously regardless...alot of personal emotion and anger was involved in his decisions unlike the first 2 flicks.

Just my 2 cents.

lcarus 07-29-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8776782)
Saw it again and loved it the same. The 2nd fight I agree could've been better. But didn't batman not know that mask was a 'weakness' until after the prison? That said he did in a way get higher ground and not going all out charging the 2nd time. Bane was beaten until Talia snuck in.

I'll likely see it one more time.

I saw it for a second time this weekend as well, and I still liked it too. One thing I still don't get after 2 viewings - probably because I'm stupid - but how did Bruce Wayne all of a sudden lose every penny he had? I didn't understand that part of the movie, with him losing everything, losing his spot on the board, and trusting "Talia" with whatever he trusted her with. Could someone explain? If he lost everything and was no longer a part of the company, how did he have any right to give Talia whatever power he gave her? Like I said, I may be just reeruned for not getting it. It does seem kinda far fetched that all of a sudden a billionaire could be broke overnight like that, but I at least would like to know how it happened in the movie.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 08:38 PM

Because Nolan concocted a bullshit scene in the stock market that wouldn't have resulted in a billionaire going broke in reality.

lcarus 07-29-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776819)
Because Nolan concocted a bullshit scene in the stock market that wouldn't have resulted in a billionaire going broke in reality.

Yeah but what exactly did they do.

luv 07-29-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

What did you like about the movie?

unothadeal 07-29-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8776831)
Yeah but what exactly did they do.

He bought futures contracts in Wayne's name using the fingerprints Selina Kyle stole. I saw the movie last week so I don't remember too well but my guess is he used Bruce's money to bet on securities that would tank (especially after the attack on the stock exchange)

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8776838)
What did you like about the movie?

It provoked emotional reactions in me over characters I cared about. And it was cool as ****.

It wasn't as tight as the first two films, though.

luv 07-29-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unothadeal (Post 8776843)
He bought futures contracts in Wayne's name using the fingerprints Selina Kyle stole. I saw the movie last week so I don't remember too well but my guess is he used Bruce's money to bet on securities that would tank (especially after the attack on the stock exchange)

And they knew which stocks would tank.

listopencil 07-29-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Wasn't there a mention in the movie that this would be straightened out but it would take time? During the board meeting the bad guy temporarily took control on a technicality, and because the board members mistrusted the playboy Bruce Wayne image as I recall. It was a bit complicated and there was other stuff going on but I thought that's what happened. Not that it was a long term goal to destroy the company but to paint Wayne as irresponsible to pave the way for a coup.

Hammock Parties 07-29-2012 09:34 PM

He lost all his money during an attack on the stock exchange. It would have been ID'd as fraud pretty quickly in RL

Buehler445 07-29-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8776795)
I saw it for a second time this weekend as well, and I still liked it too. One thing I still don't get after 2 viewings - probably because I'm stupid - but how did Bruce Wayne all of a sudden lose every penny he had? I didn't understand that part of the movie, with him losing everything, losing his spot on the board, and trusting "Talia" with whatever he trusted her with. Could someone explain? If he lost everything and was no longer a part of the company, how did he have any right to give Talia whatever power he gave her? Like I said, I may be just reeruned for not getting it. It does seem kinda far fetched that all of a sudden a billionaire could be broke overnight like that, but I at least would like to know how it happened in the movie.

Basically he bought and/or sold contracts on the futures market. And then they went the other way, meaning his position lost money. He had to lose everything to make the margin call.

Think of it as you buying a contract of corn (5,000 bu) at $6. Then the price goes down to $5.00. You now owe $1,000 to the brokerage. That's what Bane did.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8776924)
He lost all his money during an attack on the stock exchange. It would have been ID'd as fraud pretty quickly in RL

Give it a rest dude. There was all sorts of financial shit that wouldn't be allowed IRL. Suspend belief and let it go.

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 09:49 PM

I can't imagine how some of you enjoy going to the movies.

luv 07-29-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8776965)

No shit. I don't go to the movies to see real life. I get enough of that every day.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

That's what I said. I think if I looked at it hard enough, I could find all this nitpicky shit in any movie. Plot points are one thing, "it would be figured out IRL" crap would kill any movie.

Mr. Plow 07-29-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8776971)
That's what I said. I think if I looked at it hard enough, I could find all this nitpicky shit in any movie. Plot points are one thing, "it would be figured out IRL" crap would kill any movie.

Exactly.

SAUTO 07-29-2012 09:52 PM

It's a movie and not real life for a reason.

I hate it when people cry that a movie isn't realistic enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367 07-29-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

If you'd unwad your "I WANNA DRESS LIKE ROBIN AND GO DOWN BATMAN'S BATPOLE" panties, you'd remember that Wayne Enterprises was already almost broke. This was well-established in many scenes--the fact that he was a recluse, his conversation with Morgan Freeman about how he mothballed the nuclear project he'd been funneling money into, the fact that he'd lost touch with reality and wasn't paying attention to his company any more and didn't even know they weren't funding the Boys' Home, etc.,. While still wealthy, Wayne was nowhere near the bazillionaire he was before, and the stock market move pushed his dwindling fortune over the edge.

Direckshun 07-29-2012 09:59 PM

Can somebody describe the Bane/Talia plot to take over Wayne Enterprises?

The motivation, the strategy?

Buehler445 07-29-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8776981)
Can somebody describe the Bane/Talia plot to take over Wayne Enterprises?

The motivation, the strategy?

They wanted to get control of the fusion reactor.

Bruce Wayne lost all of his money and had to dump his shares of Wayne Enterprises. In order to not let the dude that Bane offed get the company, they elected Talia the CEO.

Silock 07-29-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

I see that, but it just kinda sucks that they couldn't find something that was a *tad* more realistic and logical. Even if they said at the end of the movie that he got all his money back because they figured out it was fraud, I would have been satisfied.

I still love the movie. My fave of the 3, by far.

Buehler445 07-29-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8777037)
I see that, but it just kinda sucks that they couldn't find something that was a *tad* more realistic and logical. Even if they said at the end of the movie that he got all his money back because they figured out it was fraud, I would have been satisfied.

I still love the movie. My fave of the 3, by far.

I don't necessarily think it is as egrigous as you think. There was a broker for Chase that ****ed up and hit the wrong number and lost like 4 Billion dollars. I'm not sure if it ever got worked out, but especially if the exchange was in disarray for awhile.

It is certainly easy enough to suspend belief for a movie.

Silock 07-29-2012 10:52 PM

A ****up is different than outright fraud, though.

It's more difficult to suspend that part than it is for something like the Avengers and Thor being a Norse god. In TDKR, it's supposed to be fairly "realistic," whereas the Avengers is just straight up comic book fantasy and fun. There's no real expectation of a sense of reality there, but there very much IS for TDKR.

Reaper16 07-29-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8776970)
No shit. I don't go to the movies to see real life. I get enough of that every day.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8776972)
Exactly.

God damn, watch better movies please.

Chiefspants 07-29-2012 11:20 PM

Similar to Nolan's previous works, this movie was an incredible inspiration to me in terms plot development/rising actions/plot twists. Some may feel that Nolan's affinity for plot twists may be a creative weakness, but, his plot twists are such a breath of fresh air compared to the "standard" movies I've seen as of late.

There were a few occasions where I had to leave reality at the door throughout the movie, but, I didn't have to this any more than I had to for the previous works in the trilogy. It's a necessity to suspend reality for many forms of visual entertainment, and when examining TDKR, I do not believe I had to put aside reality any more than I had to for a movie like "Drive," which was my favorite movie of 2011.

All in all, it was an "A" movie for me, and probably my second favorite of the trilogy. (But I'll need to see it again before I can say that with certainty.)

SnakeXJones 07-29-2012 11:25 PM

This movie will be the first ever I will see a second time in theaters

Gravedigger 07-29-2012 11:35 PM

Don't complain about realism in this movie when in the first movie he called bats by pressing a button on a remote on the bottom of his boot. It's a comic book superhero, grow up and understand that you have to suspend reality in movies.