ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Killer aps for the iPhone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190700)

007 12-17-2010 05:02 PM

Battlefield Bad Company 2 just came out and is .99 cents for a limited time. It is very fun.

also, EA is having a HUGE app sale. Most apps .99 cents.

CHENZ A! 12-17-2010 09:12 PM

I'll finally be getting on the Iphone bandwagon next month when my contract expires. I'm sure you guys have covered this, but does it make for a good GPS? what is the best app for that? $ is not really an issue, just want one that works well so I don't have to go buy a Garmin.

Miles 12-17-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7266137)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 just came out and is .99 cents for a limited time. It is very fun.

also, EA is having a HUGE app sale. Most apps .99 cents.

Sounds like I should buy a few of those from EA during the sale. Prob get Tiger but not sure what else. Any other suggestions?

007 12-17-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 7266556)
Sounds like I should buy a few of those from EA during the sale. Prob get Tiger but not sure what else. Any other suggestions?

Pretty much any of their board games. I think Yahtzee and Clue are on them as well. I also have the GAme of Life that I play with my kids.

tiger is by far the best of the sports titles though.

Oh, Metal Gear Solid Touch and Resident Evil 4 also dropped to .99 cents.

Miles 12-17-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7266650)
Pretty much any of their board games. I think Yahtzee and Clue are on them as well. I also have the GAme of Life that I play with my kids.

tiger is by far the best of the sports titles though.

Oh, Metal Gear Solid Touch and Resident Evil 4 also dropped to .99 cents.

Nice. Wondered whether risk was good.

Just bought:
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Shift
Tiger
NBA Elite 11
Battlefield 2

Probably will pick up RE4 as well off your tip. Thanks.

007 12-18-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 7266720)
Nice. Wondered whether risk was good.

Just bought:
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Shift
Tiger
NBA Elite 11
Battlefield 2

Probably will pick up RE4 as well off your tip. Thanks.

I didn't even think of the need for speeds. Do yourself a favor and get NFS Undercover. It is the best of them.

Don't know about Risk though.

Stryker 12-18-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7266528)
I'll finally be getting on the Iphone bandwagon next month when my contract expires. I'm sure you guys have covered this, but does it make for a good GPS? what is the best app for that? $ is not really an issue, just want one that works well so I don't have to go buy a Garmin.

I use Navigon and it works awesome - love it!

Stryker 12-18-2010 09:24 AM

Infinity Blade
Homerun Battle 3D
iBomber II
Fragger
Crush the Castle needs to come out with more levels

Stryker 12-18-2010 09:26 AM

Forgot - Samurai Vengeance II and Rage are awesome

kcxiv 12-18-2010 12:55 PM

my ipod screen shattered. :( it works, but its all messed up. Oh well, off to order me the 4 gen ipod touch! i get a camera now, yay (sarcasm)

splatbass 12-18-2010 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7267350)
my ipod screen shattered. :( it works, but its all messed up. Oh well, off to order me the 4 gen ipod touch! i get a camera now, yay (sarcasm)

Why the sarcasm? I don't know if the Touch has the same camera as the iPhone 4, but if it does it is a surprisingly good camera. Better than my Olympus point and shoot. I've taken some really great pictures with it. Like this one (this is after reducing the size/resolution a lot to make it small enough for the internet. The original is way better). I don't even take a camera when I travel anymore, because my iPhone 4 is just as good and much more convenient.

007 12-18-2010 03:46 PM

The Touch does not get as good a camera as teh iphone. Not even close. The touch is something like .74 megapixels while the iphone is 5MP

splatbass 12-18-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7267870)
The Touch does not get as good a camera as teh iphone. Not even close. The touch is something like .74 megapixels while the iphone is 5MP

You're right, I just looked it up. Too bad. The Iphone 4 has a great camera.

007 12-18-2010 06:15 PM

I hate how apple dumbs down the touch like that. Some of us have no interest in $100 per month phone contracts.

-King- 12-18-2010 09:48 PM

Welp, just sold my iPhone. Getting the G2 delivered Monday or Tuesday.

kcxiv 12-18-2010 10:38 PM

i didnt really want to spend 220 bucks on another ipod, but i dont have a choice. I really need a ipod though for what i do. My ipod is like me wearing my socks, its just something i need now. haha

As long as the phone it is is ok. I was planning on getting an iphone 4, but i guess i dont have too now. I am on my sisters cell phone plan and i wish she wasnt on AT and T. Its cheaper when we all pitch in at the end of the month, but i have a good friend and she' has the HTC Evo and that thing is ****ing sexy, ya, the phone too! haha

kcxiv 12-18-2010 10:46 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4167765_n.jpg
:( sad times!

-King- 12-19-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7268739)
i didnt really want to spend 220 bucks on another ipod, but i dont have a choice. I really need a ipod though for what i do. My ipod is like me wearing my socks, its just something i need now. haha

As long as the phone it is is ok. I was planning on getting an iphone 4, but i guess i dont have too now. I am on my sisters cell phone plan and i wish she wasnt on AT and T. Its cheaper when we all pitch in at the end of the month, but i have a good friend and she' has the HTC Evo and that thing is ****ing sexy, ya, the phone too! haha

Wait...why are you spending 220 on an ipod?

kcxiv 12-19-2010 01:45 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-touch-Ge...2744689&sr=8-2

Because thats what they cost brand new and i got a 25 dollar gift card from amazon. Well 210.

Los Pollos Hermanos 12-19-2010 09:46 AM

You can get your screen replaced on your iphone for about $60.

dtebbe 12-19-2010 11:02 AM

Sorry if re-post, but if you have DirecTv the DVR scheduler app is awesome. They have it for iPhone, droid, palm, and blackberry. I run it on my palm and never schedule anything on the DVR anymore. WAY faster to use the phone.

DT

007 12-19-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7269544)
You can get your screen replaced on your iphone for about $60.

I found them for 7 bucks.

kcxiv 12-20-2010 03:10 AM

ill try it later if i succeed with it, i will give my old ipod to my nephew. I wanted a new one anyways. The plug input is a little screwy with my cracked one anyways

007 12-20-2010 08:33 AM

I really want to upgrade to the 4th gen but the lack of a 16gb and the change in the cord would require me to buy a new AC charger and a new transmitter in my van. Not to mention the battery problems inherent since iOS 4.1.

Why Apple has to change the power cord on the damn thing every other generation baffles me. people do spend money on the accessories.

kcxiv 12-20-2010 01:58 PM

well, 4.2 is out now. I already got my ipod in the mail, i ordered it Saturday night and it was on my doorstep Monday morning. Now thats fast ****ing service. So far, i am absolutely loving it. Just downloading all my aaps, need my mad chad and angry birds game. lol

BigRedChief 12-21-2010 10:12 PM

Upgraded to IPhone 4 today.

NewChief 12-27-2010 09:55 AM

Solomon's Keep is a fun Gauntlet-style dungeon crawl RPG that's available for free. It's sucked up my time for the last few days.

NewChief 05-26-2011 01:06 PM

Easybib just released an iPhone app that allows you to scan a book's ISBN code, then it creates a works cited entry for it in APA, MLA, and Chicago. You can then email the citation to yourself. Pretty rocking for students and academics. It's free.

I think there's something similar for android.

DMAC 05-26-2011 01:11 PM

Inception- The App

http://inceptiontheapp.com/

*Experience your life as a dream

OnTheWarpath15 05-26-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7664461)
Easybib just released an iPhone app that allows you to scan a book's ISBN code, then it creates a works cited entry for it in APA, MLA, and Chicago. You can then email the citation to yourself. Pretty rocking for students and academics. It's free.

I think there's something similar for android.

Sweet. Thanks for posting.

Sure-Oz 08-19-2011 12:05 AM

I don't have an iphone but was playing Army of Darkness Defense on my friends, addicting as hell

Great Expectations 10-26-2011 09:05 PM

When will the untethered jailbreak for the new update be out?

Fish 10-26-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8051724)
When will the untethered jailbreak for the new update be out?

Impossible question. It will be out when they finish it.

Buehler445 10-30-2011 12:52 AM

This thread died. Any new apps people are liking?

Great Expectations 10-31-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8051940)
Impossible question. It will be out when they finish it.

There was a statement on iphonehacks that it was almost complete 8 days ago. Just wondering when it would happen. When it does Siri will be available to iPhone 4 users.

Fish 10-31-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8062284)
There was a statement on iphonehacks that it was almost complete 8 days ago. Just wondering when it would happen. When it does Siri will be available to iPhone 4 users.

Don't get your hopes up too much for Siri right away. While Siri has been ported to iPhone4 and iPod 4th gen in one instance, it's a long way from being readily available to the public. And it will require a lot more than just the iOS5 untethered jailbreak. Siri requires a significant change in the file structure, and depends on signed code from Apple. That last requirement makes it very very difficult to make "public", as that's easy grounds for getting sued by Apple. On top of that, Siri requires that the voice commands are sent to Apple, and Apple's servers do the crunching, and sends the results back to the phone.

So to get it running on an older phone like the iPhone 4, you'd have to make changes to the file structure to match the iPhone 4S and hope that doesn't break other functions, fake the data sent to Apple to spoof Apple into thinking the device is an iPhone 4S instead of just an iPhone 4, or use a "middleman" server setup that would edit the data sent to Apple, then edit the results sent back from Apple. That's a lot of dependence. Not to mention presenting a security nightmare. The guys that have made this work on the older models have specifically said they have no intentions of releasing a tool or installer for it, so you'd have to compile it yourself.

It will likely be a while before a solution for this is released, regardless of the iOS5 untethered jailbreak...

NewChief 10-31-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8062467)
On top of that, Siri requires that the voice commands are sent to Apple, and Apple's servers do the crunching, and sends the results back to the phone.

Oh wow. I wasn't aware of that. Crazy.

DaveNull 11-02-2011 11:43 AM

You can really notice the differences in Siri server load at times. It's not slow, per se, but it's definitely not as snappy when the West Coast is on lunch/driving home.

I think Apple was smart to ease this thing out. Once they know they can handle the load for all the 4S users they may make it available to the 4/iPad 2.

The accuracy of the dictation is staggering.

NewChief 11-02-2011 11:51 AM

I was just playing with one. I told is, "I need dog food," and it found pet stores nearby. I told it "I am hungry for Thai." and it found nearby Thai restaurants. It's pretty badass. Also lots of easter eggs and such in it when you cuss at it.

I couldn't confirm, but someone said they told it that they crapped their pants, and it told them where the closest clothing store was.

DaveNull 11-02-2011 12:08 PM

My favorite part so far is to use it while cooking. You can start a timer for a certain amount of time and then ask periodically how much time is left.

It will only do one timer at a time, but to get the same effect you just say "set an alarm for X minutes" instead.

Fish 11-23-2011 12:09 PM

FYI.... lots of sweet iOS apps on sale this weekend....

http://appmodo.com/37127/black-frida...ouch-and-ipad/

DaFace 11-23-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8135568)
FYI.... lots of sweet iOS apps on sale this weekend....

http://appmodo.com/37127/black-frida...ouch-and-ipad/

Is it more common to pay for apps on iOS than on Android? (Honest question.) I haven't purchased a single app for my phone, but I see people talking about app sales for iOS from time to time, which makes me wonder.

Los Pollos Hermanos 11-24-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8137712)
Is it more common to pay for apps on iOS than on Android? (Honest question.) I haven't purchased a single app for my phone, but I see people talking about app sales for iOS from time to time, which makes me wonder.

I think so. My son has an Android phone and has never paid for an app. My wife and I buy apps for our iPhones all the time.

Buehler445 11-25-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

I paid for Omni Focus and a Password Keeper. That's all.

Fish 11-25-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

I don't really think so. Most everything I've purchased from the app store also costs money in the Android market. I can't think of any paid apps on iPhone that are free on Android. I'd be surprised if there were any.

I've mostly bought games and learning apps for my daughter. Most of what I use is free. And theres generally a "Light" version of most paid apps that are free but lacking in some functionality. Android market is the same in that regard too.

DaveNull 11-28-2011 07:38 PM

I think there are more paid apps on the iOS App Store because it's easier for developers to actually sell them. For paid apps, it's also important that the devs can actually support everyone they're selling to and the fragmentation of Android makes this really tough.

vailpass 11-29-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8139999)
I don't really think so. Most everything I've purchased from the app store also costs money in the Android market. I can't think of any paid apps on iPhone that are free on Android. I'd be surprised if there were any.

I've mostly bought games and learning apps for my daughter. Most of what I use is free. And theres generally a "Light" version of most paid apps that are free but lacking in some functionality. Android market is the same in that regard too.

Phan

DBOSHO 11-29-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8073672)
I was just playing with one. I told is, "I need dog food," and it found pet stores nearby. I told it "I am hungry for Thai." and it found nearby Thai restaurants. It's pretty badass. Also lots of easter eggs and such in it when you cuss at it.

I couldn't confirm, but someone said they told it that they crapped their pants, and it told them where the closest clothing store was.

Lol just tried it. It found me 11 clothing stores

Fish 11-29-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8154033)
Phan

I'm not sure what you mean...

KCFalcon59 12-22-2011 01:24 PM

LogMeIn is free on iPhone. The only one available used to be the ignition app that was 29.99. Pretty sweet.

vailpass 12-22-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8073672)

Siri is sweet. I just asked it to show me a large concentration of unemployed douche bags who bought iphones with their dad's money and it found me 14 OWS locations.

Johnny Vegas 12-27-2011 02:42 PM

not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just downloaded Vlingo for free and its just like Siri. Great app for free.

DMAC 09-27-2012 02:17 PM

Wasn't there a "killer apps for jailbroken iphones" thread?

vailpass 09-27-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8954829)
Wasn't there a "killer apps for jailbroken iphones" thread?

Interesting, didn't see that thread. I'll start here:

SetCPU
Titanium Backup PRO
Busybox