ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Nuclear emergency declared at quake-damaged reactor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242615)

Just Passin' By 03-16-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7495542)
Honestly, I don't get how we got here from the guy talking about how chickenshit these pilots are for not wanting to, or not being allowed to, hover over this mess.

Because 18 coal miners died in the U.S. in 2009, or something like that.

alnorth 03-16-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7495534)
That's an incredibly long justification for something unrelated to the topic of "how dangerous are doses of radiation?"

I'll give you that. But, how often do we get stories about how coal is dangerous, thus giving people like you a platform to talk about coal? Those stories are rarely written.

That aside, people also seem to be inherently biased to close their eyes to how dangerous coal is, and inherently biased to fear the voodoo magic of nuclear, so if you just take each story on its face as they come, it'll just inevitable lead to more coal. Which is fine by me.

alnorth 03-16-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7495542)
Honestly, I don't get how we got here from the guy talking about how chickenshit these pilots are for not wanting to, or not being allowed to, hover over this mess.

Yeah, lets just completely ignore science. There's radiation down there, we don't understand it, we fear what we don't understand, so obviously it has to be indiana jones-style "this is the cup of kings" face-melting danger.

Brock 03-16-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7495562)
Yeah, lets just completely ignore science. There's radiation down there, we don't understand it, we fear what we don't understand, so obviously it has to be indiana jones-style "this is the cup of kings" face-melting danger.

For somebody accusing everybody else of ignorance, you really haven't brought any substantial facts to the table, and you also don't know the situation over there. I know this because nobody here knows what the situation really is over there. You're coming across like we're cavemen afraid of fire, when you don't know any more about it than anyone else does.

alnorth 03-16-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7495567)
For somebody accusing everybody else of ignorance, you really haven't brought any substantial facts to the table

bullcrap. I posted this three times already, maybe you didn't notice it, so here's number 4.

Quote:

Quick reality check, after some quick research. I'm not a nuclear expert, but this info is readily available through reliable sources.

First, radiation is usually measured in Sieverts (Sv) 1 full Sv = 1,000 mSv = 1 million microSv. Radiation exposure is also often measured in Sieverts per hour, or Sv/h, mSv/h, microSv/h

There are generally two hazards to radiation exposure. 1) Dying quickly due to acute radiation exposure 2) Dying within 5-30 years due to cancer caused by radiation.

Fatal acute radiation exposure (resulting in death within days or weeks) = roughly 1 full Sv/h for 5 hours, or more than 6 Sv/day. (Apparently the threshold for having any immediate symptoms at all is about 0.25 Sv/day. If you get less than 0.25 Sv/day, you wont even feel nausea, but might have some increased cancer risk)

Estimated cancer risk from radiation = about an extra 5% per full Sv per year, but if you pick up less than 100 mSv in a year, the research seems to indicate that doesn't increase your chances. (So, at 100 mSv in a year, you have about a half percent chance of getting cancer from that radiation exposure)

Exposure examples

Eating a banana = 0.1 microSv
chest CT scan = 6-18 mSv
background radiation most people experience just walking around = 3 mSv/year
Total exposure by the average American = about 6 mSv/year = 6,000 microSv/year

Total additional exposure that could be expected by people on the west coast if the reactors in Japan all dramatically explode in a firey ball of death (which is extremely unlikely): maybe another 1 or 2 microSv

Exposure faced by the workers currently risking their lives in the Japanese facility: well, the absolute peak was briefly about 400 mSv/h, but it seems to mostly be about 8 or 9 mSv/hr. Of course, if it melts down and if the concrete container also fails, those workers could get a fatal acute dose within minutes depending on where they are.

Current exposure at the gate to the facility at the Japanese reactors = 0.6 mSv/hr

Exposure in Tokyo = seems to be about 2 microSv/hr

Total exposure if you lived within the 30 km evacuation radius of Chernobyl when it blew up and didn't leave for a few weeks = varies depending on where in that radius you mostly lived, but the accumulated dose for people who were near but weren't at the disaster usually seemed to max out at about 150 mSv.
There's context for radiation exposure. As far as the danger of coal goes, just google it. Over the last 40 years, hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of coal miners dead around the world, and who knows how many dead from emissions.

If you live next to a coal plant or mine, you are exposed to more radiation than from a nuclear plant, lots of papers and evidence that nuclear is safer than coal, etc.

But, coal is cheaper than nuclear. I don't buy into global warming and I'm fine with the loss of life and environmental damage, so lower my electric bills. Coal all the way, and shut every nuclear reactor down.

But, I say that for economic reasons, not because of safety. If you think coal is safer than nuclear, you are very wrong.

Reaper16 03-16-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7495562)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...r16/madreb.gif

Pioli Zombie 03-17-2011 05:12 AM

Serves them right for what they did to the Jews during world war 2

SAUTO 03-17-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7495567)
For somebody accusing everybody else of ignorance, you really haven't brought any substantial facts to the table, and you also don't know the situation over there. I know this because nobody here knows what the situation really is over there. You're coming across like we're cavemen afraid of fire, when you don't know any more about it than anyone else does.

can we please use this post about the labor negotiations also?

Donger 03-17-2011 08:35 AM

Temperature of Spent Fuel Pools at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

Spent fuel that has been removed from a nuclear reactor generates intense heat and is typically stored in a water-filled spent fuel pool to cool it and provide protection from its radioactivity. Water in a spent fuel pool is continuously cooled to remove heat produced by spent fuel assemblies. According to IAEA experts, a typical spent fuel pool temperature is kept below 25 ˚C under normal operating conditions. The temperature of a spent fuel pool is maintained by constant cooling, which requires a constant power source.

Given the intense heat and radiation that spent fuel assemblies can generate, spent fuel pools must be constantly checked for water level and temperature. If fuel is no longer covered by water or temperatures reach a boiling point, fuel can become exposed and create a risk of radioactive release. The concern about the spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi is that sources of power to cool the pools may have been compromised.

The IAEA can confirm the following information regarding the temperatures of the spent nuclear fuel pools at Units 4, 5 and 6 at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant:

Unit 4

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 84 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 84 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: no data

Unit 5

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 59.7 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 60.4 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 62.7 ˚C

Unit 6

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 58.0 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 58.5 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 60.0 ˚C

The IAEA is continuing to seek further information about the water levels, temperature and condition of all spent fuel pool facilities at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

BigMeatballDave 03-17-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 7495843)

:spock:

loochy 03-17-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7496070)
Temperature of Spent Fuel Pools at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

Spent fuel that has been removed from a nuclear reactor generates intense heat and is typically stored in a water-filled spent fuel pool to cool it and provide protection from its radioactivity. Water in a spent fuel pool is continuously cooled to remove heat produced by spent fuel assemblies. According to IAEA experts, a typical spent fuel pool temperature is kept below 25 ˚C under normal operating conditions. The temperature of a spent fuel pool is maintained by constant cooling, which requires a constant power source.

Given the intense heat and radiation that spent fuel assemblies can generate, spent fuel pools must be constantly checked for water level and temperature. If fuel is no longer covered by water or temperatures reach a boiling point, fuel can become exposed and create a risk of radioactive release. The concern about the spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi is that sources of power to cool the pools may have been compromised.

The IAEA can confirm the following information regarding the temperatures of the spent nuclear fuel pools at Units 4, 5 and 6 at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant:

Unit 4

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 84 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 84 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: no data

Unit 5

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 59.7 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 60.4 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 62.7 ˚C

Unit 6

14 March, 10:08 UTC: 58.0 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 58.5 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 60.0 ˚C

The IAEA is continuing to seek further information about the water levels, temperature and condition of all spent fuel pool facilities at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Well, Unit 4 looks to be getting close to boiling, but at the rate that the temperatures seem to be increasing, it looks like we have a few days before that boils off. Hopefully those U.S. pumps will work at getting some fresh water circulated in.

Amnorix 03-17-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7495512)
3) I said it earlier, there is no safe dose of radiation. It does not exist. Instead, the question was always, "what is an acceptable risk?"

Well, yes, but just by walking, talking, breathing and eating you're exposed to background radiation.

Chiefspants 03-17-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 7495843)

Dumbass, you're thinking of Italy.

Amnorix 03-17-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7495284)
This is also why the rate of thyroid cancer went up 30 fold in Belarus in four years among children, three times the rate of birth defects in children in the Ukraine, and heart disease so common that the quadrupling of cases led to the term "Chernobyl" heart.

I don't want to get in the middle of your debate with Alnorth, but on the thyroid cancer in children thing -- a Vanderbilt doctor with expertise in this area said that the thyroid cancer in children was caused by children drinking the milk of cows who had eaten grass in contaminated fields and that (1) the Russian government was particularly stupid or whatever to let this happen, and (2) even those deaths could largely have been prevented by iodine tablets.

Again, this is specific to the thyroid cancer in the children in the wake of Chernobyl.

Amnorix 03-17-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7495548)
Because 18 coal miners died in the U.S. in 2009, or something like that.

For the record, as far as I know, that is 18 more people than ever died in teh US for working in the nuclear power plant industry.