ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs So what exactly has Pioli done? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200220)

DeezNutz 09-28-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 6120126)
That's fair. I think Pioli can handle the criticism. He'd just better deliver in the long run or his "legacy" with the Pats will be irreparably diminished.

Absolutely.

If he sucks in KC, history will say that the NE dynasty was 100% Hoodie, which doesn't seem too far off when you consider the Parcell's factor.

DJ's left nut 09-28-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6120120)
I say Baltimore is the better organization at knowing talent, they just never had the QB play or the coach like Pittsburgh did earlier when they didnt have Big Ben.

I give Savage most of the credit for Baltimore, though he didn't have a hand in Flacco. That's why Savage was on my list of guys I really liked along with Polian and Whaley.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...39&postcount=9

I just don't understand this rush to follow the Patriot model when it's pretty damn clear that the Patriot model requires Bill Belichick and we don't exactly have one of those on hand.

DJ's left nut 09-28-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6120130)
Absolutely.

If he sucks in KC, history will say that the NE dynasty was 100% Hoodie, which doesn't seem too far off when you consider the Parcell's factor.

And Weiss. And Crennel. And Mangini. And possibly McDaniels (though I'd rather have him than Psycho T).

CaliforniaChief 09-28-2009 02:10 PM

At least in the short term, I'm convinced he erred in evaluating the quality of our offensive line. There's no other plausible explanation for this. There was no evidence to suggest that any of our current linemen (including the ones released) could adequately protect the QB and open any kind of lanes for the RB. Now we don't know what efforts he's made since then to acquire other people, but it's hard to believe with the cap room, money, and waiver position we have that we couldn't have done better.

Other than that, I'm pleased with his work. He fired Herm Edwards. He upgraded the QB position with a guy that has shown me a decent improvisational ability and good accuracy when not throwing under constant assault. He hired a guy that I think will be a very good head coach in the league, and is confronting years of raw sewage for talent.

Obviously the jury's still out...but man it's been 3 games.

ChiefsCountry 09-28-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6120132)
I just don't understand this rush to follow the Patriot model when it's pretty damn clear that the Patriot model requires Bill Belichick and we don't exactly have one of those on hand.

And Tom Brady.

HC_Chief 09-28-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6120150)
And Tom Brady.

This.

Tom effing Brady is the reason the "Patriot Model" works/worked.

kcfanXIII 09-28-2009 02:19 PM

if the chiefs were a house, they'd be old, run down, fixed with cheap fixes like duct tape, and super glue. the quality ac unit was really too much for such a beat up old house with so many places for a draft to come through, so you sell it on craigslist for whatever you can get. even if you take payments on it. when you get the house, the first thing to do, is gut the house and start rebuilding it. maybe take the plastic off the windows, and board them up to keep the weather out, until you can get those triple pain energy efficient jobbies. point is, it takes a while to clean out the crap the previous owners did to get by. i'm willing to give both the coach and gm 3 years, rather than just 3 games.

DJ's left nut 09-28-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 6120140)
Other than that, I'm pleased with his work. He fired Herm Edwards. He upgraded the QB position with a guy that has shown me a decent improvisational ability and good accuracy when not throwing under constant assault. He hired a guy that I think will be a very good head coach in the league, and is confronting years of raw sewage for talent.

Obviously the jury's still out...but man it's been 3 games.

That's where we have to disagree.

I don't believe for a minute that Haley will be a good coach, ever. People keep comparing him to Parcells but did you ever see Parcells go nuts like that? Can you ever imagine Parcells pulling these BS High School football tricks? Parcells treated his players like men and demanded they hold themselves to that standard. Haley treats his players like children and he will lose them, if he hasn't already. Sure, it's only been 3 games, but we've seen what Haley is. That kind of personality isn't going to be able to change. It'll be phoney and players will see right through it.

In any event, I don't think you can have an 'explosive' head coach with an offensive background anyway. Offense is cerebral and he tries to coach from emotion. That emotion won't carry as well when it's coming from an offensively oriented HC. A defensive HC can get away with it (though not to the level of batshit crazy that Haley is taking it); an offensive one can't. I think Haley is doomed to failure, in all honesty. Blah blah, give him a chance, blah...but I don't see what more time will do here. He is who he is, he is who he's always been. I have no idea why we think time will change him.

Beyond the coaching hire, Pioli used a 2nd rounder on a QB that has the ceiling of Kyle Orton. I really see very little distinction between the two. Both of those guys can throw a fairly accurate ball when not under pressure. Both of those guys can operate an offense if things are going well. I've yet to see anything from Cassel to suggest he can carry a team. You don't turn your franchise over to a game manager without trying to get an elite QB first.

We had the chance to at least roll the dice with Sanchez and instead we took a MFing 3-4 DE with the #3 overall pick. That will never EVER be defensible and that sits directly on Pioli. Even if you don't think we should've taken Sanchez, the NFL is a playmakers league and a 5 technique will never be a position you build a club around. Yet we took one at #3 and paid him franchise player money. That's like drafting a TE at #3 and giving him QB pay. It was just astronomically stupid.

Sorry, but outside of firing Herm, he's !@#$ed up every decision he's made as the GM of the KC Chiefs and firing Herm didn't exactly take Football Jesus.

Brock 09-28-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

People keep comparing him to Parcells but did you ever see Parcells go nuts like that? Can you ever imagine Parcells pulling these BS High School football tricks? Parcells treated his players like men and demanded they hold themselves to that standard.
Yeah, check out Parcells first year for the Giants. He benched Phil Simms and went 3-12. They were thinking about replacing him with Howard Schnellenberger.

DJ's left nut 09-28-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6120201)
Yeah, check out Parcells first year for the Giants. He benched Phil Simms and went 3-12. They were thinking about replacing him with Howard Schnellenberger.

I mean in terms of his outward handling of players.

I was young, maybe I just missed it. But I can never remember Parcells being this over the top in my more formative years. He had particular players he'd lay into (I think he called Galloway "she" didn't he?), but he'd never spend entire weeks laying into anyone and everyone that came near him.

I've never been more disgusted to be a Chiefs fan than I was when I saw his conduct on the sidelines during the Oakland game. Even after the Elliot game and the 0 punts game or any of the other times we just came up short, I was disappointed but never ashamed.

I was embarassed 2 Sundays ago.

Chiefnj2 09-28-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6120189)
Beyond the coaching hire, Pioli used a 2nd rounder on a QB that has the ceiling of Kyle Orton. I really see very little distinction between the two. Both of those guys can throw a fairly accurate ball when not under pressure. Both of those guys can operate an offense if things are going well. I've yet to see anything from Cassel to suggest he can carry a team. You don't turn your franchise over to a game manager without trying to get an elite QB first.

To be fair, McDaniels thought the world of Cassel as well.

easymobee 09-28-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 5386138)
On his own, that didn't involve Bill Belichik having influence and final authority?

Just remember a lot of fans from Notre Dame, NY, and Cleveland were going ape shit wild over Weiss, Mangina, and Crennel and without Belichik all 3 were basically flops. Josh McDaniels and Pioli could very easily be added to that list as well.

I'll remain skeptical until he proves himself.

Don't lump McDaniels with your POS.

Denver is 3-0

easymobee 09-28-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6120228)
I mean in terms of his outward handling of players.

I was young, maybe I just missed it. But I can never remember Parcells being this over the top in my more formative years. He had particular players he'd lay into (I think he called Galloway "she" didn't he?), but he'd never spend entire weeks laying into anyone and everyone that came near him.

I've never been more disgusted to be a Chiefs fan than I was when I saw his conduct on the sidelines during the Oakland game. Even after the Elliot game and the 0 punts game or any of the other times we just came up short, I was disappointed but never ashamed.

I was embarassed 2 Sundays ago.

Terry Glenn.

When Parcellls was coach of the Patsies.

DJ's left nut 09-28-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 6120294)
To be fair, McDaniels thought the world of Cassel as well.

That's a good thing?

Remember, McDaniels evidently insisted on Orton being included in the Cutler talks.

So the guy that coached the QBs in NE seems to see many of the same things in Orton he saw in Cassel or at least has an affinity for both QBs.

I'd say all that really suggests is that McDaniels also saw a whole lot of Cassel in Orton (and Orton could've been had for peanuts).

Rooster 09-28-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6120309)
That's a good thing?

Remember, McDaniels evidently insisted on Orton being included in the Cutler talks.

So the guy that coached the QBs in NE seems to see many of the same things in Orton he saw in Cassel or at least has an affinity for both QBs.

I'd say all that really suggests is that McDaniels also saw a whole lot of Cassel in Orton (and Orton could've been had for peanuts).

That's one way to look at it I suppose.:spock: