ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Making Jerky / Everything BBQ Tips Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276693)

Bwana 09-27-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10025588)
Agreed. Ive NEVER had good ribs from a restaurant, not even in Memphis...at least nothing anywhere close to mine. Pretty disappointing really because I often crave ribs but dont feel like doing all the work.

Yep, life is too short for skank beer or bad ribs. :)

TimBone 09-27-2013 08:17 PM

I'm glad the conversation has turned to ribs. I've had a smoker for a little over a year now. Doing my best to learn how to smoke properly. One question I've always had(and this is probably a silly one), do you guys use mustard on the meat to help your rub stick to the meat? I've seen this method used, and have always wondered if it affects the taste of the overall product. I don't use it, because I've never really had a problem with the rub not sticking on its own. Thoughts?

Simply Red 09-27-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021908)
Summer sausage. Hell yes.

see I don't do bambi.

Simply Red 09-27-2013 08:21 PM

I want to pet a deer, hold and hug her/him.

TimBone 09-27-2013 08:23 PM

Rack I smoked a couple weeks ago. I don't think it's bad for a rookie.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/28/u5atynat.jpg

Simply Red 09-27-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McFly (Post 10025619)
Rack I smoked a couple weeks ago. I don't think it's bad for a rookie.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/28/u5atynat.jpg

looks good.

Simply Red 09-27-2013 08:27 PM

do you guys food processor your rubs? I'd recommend that.

Dante84 09-27-2013 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some random racks, as long as we're sharing!

MTG#10 09-27-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McFly (Post 10025606)
I'm glad the conversation has turned to ribs. I've had a smoker for a little over a year now. Doing my best to learn how to smoke properly. One question I've always had(and this is probably a silly one), do you guys use mustard on the meat to help your rub stick to the meat? I've seen this method used, and have always wondered if it affects the taste of the overall product. I don't use it, because I've never really had a problem with the rub not sticking on its own. Thoughts?

I dont on ribs but I do on a shoulder roast. And no you cant taste the mustard...at least I cant and Ive never met anyone that could.

TimBone 09-27-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10025622)
looks good.

Thanks, that one cooked a little hot....but like I said, I'm learning.

TimBone 09-27-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10025637)
I dont on ribs but I do on a shoulder roast. And no you cant taste the mustard...at least I cant and Ive never met anyone that could.

Thanks man. I've always considered mustard to have such a strong taste, I just figured it would alter the overall flavor.

Dante84 09-27-2013 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another

Buehler445 09-27-2013 08:50 PM

I love ribs. A lot. I've had some decent ones in restaurants but all of the have been good Q restaurants.

I made some last weekend and over cooked them some. I foiled them after 3 hours. And they were really soft and a little mushy. But my ****ing Christ they were moist and flat out amazing. I mean, technically I screwed them up but they were glorious.

Bwana 09-27-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah I changed my thread title to try to get the conversation going in a broader direction.

Dante84 09-27-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

I do. I wash the ribs, trim the fat and membrane, dry rub them down, wrap and fridge overnight, start the fire, and just before the ribs go on I rub them down with plain yellow mustard.

It's not for the taste, as it doesn't impact overall flavor in a mustard-y way.... It's more to seal the dry rub in and to create a tacky texture. It makes a great bark when it's all said and done.