ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Coffee, yes or no? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284556)

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710551)
Geezaz! I travel with some connoisseurs but not like that.

So, lemme ask, if you don't use paper filters (including the unbleached) what do they use? How to they know if their temp is 200 degrees.

I would never roast green beans. Too much work. I would like to try a French Press though. I hear they make a really good tasting coffee.

I've got a couple friends that roast their own. They've become quite adept at it, started by using a specific style of hot air popcorn poppers.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10710549)
Yes.
Both hot and cold.
Hourglass and medium strength.
Cream and sweetener.
Most days, and a pot.
Starbucks coffee too strong for my liking.
McDonald's LOL, like their burgers.
Dunkin is great at 2:00am.
I was in the Navy, "very early in life".
Yes, yes I do. From Baileys to rum...
Only on days with "day" in them!!!
Decaf... No, no way.. Like non-alcoholic beer..

Ymmm, Bailey's Irish Cream in coffee. Or are you referring to another Bailey's?

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:23 PM

Oh I started drinking it at age 13 or 14.

Drink it daily. A cup or two in the mornings 95% of the time only.

Have not tried MD's premiums. I do like Starbucks but not every blend of theirs.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10710552)
I never add liquor to coffee, just doesn't seem right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yumm, Grand Marnier.:thumb:

BeeHo 06-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10710317)
Any of you buy the drinks for the person behind you at Starbucks?

some guy did for that me a year ago. rather nice

Baby Lee 06-23-2014 03:26 PM

Do you like it?

Very Much

Hot or cold?

Generally hot, not averse to a fru-fru candy ice coffee drink every once in a while, likewise coffee ice cream [Haagen Daaz 5] is my favorite flavor

What brands and strengths do you like?

Starbucks and Trader Joe's, also Taste of the Hill, which is coffee roasted at restaurants on St. Louis' Hill, a revered Italian neighborhood with lots of local restaurants.

Prefer the bolder or darker roasts, just feels more robust. Usually a Sumatra of some stripe, though I'm always on the lookout for a good Peaberry. No flavored coffees generally, though TJ's Wintry Blend [which has ground up black and red pepper, clove and cinnamon mixed into coffee grounds] is an exception of sorts.

Do you take cream or sugar?

Not usually, but not averse, if there's 1/2&1/2 around, I'll often indulge.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person?

Pot a Day, insulated carafe is a blessing.

How do you feel about Starbuck's?

Too expensive in store, always on a lookout for sales or clearances for their beans/grinds, though. Will enjoy a cup bought for me thoroughly.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?

Just their iced 'candy' coffee, caramel mochiatto IIRC. OK, tough to differentiate with all the bells and whistles. I mean how do you differentiate qualities of sugar, cream and whipped cream?

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee?

Just beans at home, decent, unassuming. Could drink it for months without complaint, yet not notice when another roast was substituted.

When did you start drinking coffee?

In earnest? About 20yo.

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee?

Never, adult beverages are generally a 'prepare for sleep' thing for me. Caffeine runs counter to that. Not a lot of interest in being buzzed and wide awake for hours.

Do you only drink it on weekends?

No

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee?

Que? What is this, . . . de- . . . caffeinated? De, what?

GloryDayz 06-23-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710557)
Ymmm, Bailey's Irish Cream in coffee. Or are you referring to another Bailey's?

Bailey's Irish Cream... (with a shot of coffee in it)!

srvy 06-23-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710551)
Geezaz! I travel with some connoisseurs but not like that.

So, lemme ask, if they don't use paper filters (including the unbleached) what do they use? How do they know if their temp is 200 degrees.

I would never roast green beans. Too much work. I would like to try a French Press though. I hear they make a really good tasting coffee.

The french press you just add the grounds like the old percolator days. I believe they have filters for them, but you eliminate the oils in the coffee been.

Thermometer I suppose. I also believer the good electric water kettles have temp settings. I know my Bunn coffee maker does not brew untill water temp reaches 200.

RunKC 06-23-2014 03:36 PM

I really like panera's coffee. It's good quality and it's half the price. A regular sized coffee there is 2 bucks compared to about 4 at Starbucks.

Plus their bakery is infinitely better than Starbucks.

srvy 06-23-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710555)
I've got a couple friends that roast their own. They've become quite adept at it, started by using a specific style of hot air popcorn poppers.

Yes Ive have herd that works. I read that its become popular on US Military remote outposts in Afghanistan. Kinda a hobby to pass time and drink something better than the swill furnished by uncle sam. Those guy have come up with some very unique ways to roast. Think I saw this late night on Nightline.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710013)
yes
hot
8 o'clock but can do Max house
Black
so much it would scare ya
Drank once wasn't impressed in taste or price
its ok
don't but there coffee and DD isn't near me
16 or 17 steady
sometimes but rarely
7days a week day or night. Do not I repeat do not come down from a caffeine high
try not to Doc says look into it.

I hated it at first too. It grows on you tho'-- then it's hard to go back. At least it was for me. I used to like DD but it's too weak for me now.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10710588)
Bailey's Irish Cream... (with a shot of coffee in it)!

Ah! I do it in reverse.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10710604)
I really like panera's coffee. It's good quality and it's half the price. A regular sized coffee there is 2 bucks compared to about 4 at Starbucks.

Plus their bakery is infinitely better than Starbucks.

I forgot about Panera. I like theirs too.

I don't know how someone pays $4 for coffee at Starbucks. I pay $1.70 but then I only order the Tall size and not one of those fancy coffee drinks. The exception is the occasional Latte, which I treat as a treat. Like buying ice cream.

Dave Lane 06-23-2014 03:43 PM

This is the machine I have. It's a commercial unit had it 10 years and yes I'm a serious espresso drinker and yes Starbucks is way too high this saved me a fortune.

http://www.1stincoffee.com/media/cat...urover-red.jpg

cdcox 06-23-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710110)
For those of you who are pot a day drinkers, do you get really bad caffeine withdrawal if forced to skip a day?

I don't understand the question. I can't think of a circumstance where I could not sneak in a couple of cups of coffee.