ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers WWDC 2010 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=229194)

007 06-07-2010 03:38 PM

Cool, 4.0 software will be free for the Touch according to the Apple website.

AustinChief 06-07-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 6804870)
FWIW, commentators, including the guy from Gizmondo on NPR this morning, expect the other carriers to follow AT&T's example of axing unlimited bandwidth. His point was the other networks aren't quite as strained as AT&T but will catch up soon.

I doubt Sprint goes that route anytime soon.. possibly so with verizon and t-mobile... We will see.. but as of right now... ATT is easily the worst deal and the worst data network.

AustinChief 06-07-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6804880)
Jason needs to shut his ignorant pie hole and do his research first...

EVO has qik which is preloaded but only works with other qik users.. just like facetime and fring which you have to download BUT blows qik and facetime OUT OF THE WATER since it uses multiple networks (Skype®, MSN® Messenger, Google Talk™, ICQ, SIP, Twitter, Yahoo!™, AIM®) and allows for FREE voip calls and video chatting with damn near anyone.

AND works on 3g (crappy) 4g(I have heard works great) and wifi... I just hate that people go crazy and act like facetime is revolutionary when it's a few steps behind something that has been out for android for months.

On a side not... the new display is getting rave reviews... did the screen size itself change or is the basic form factor the same?

Skyy God 06-07-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6804788)
Love the iPhone 4.

Will not be buying. **** AT&T and their capped data plans. That's some bullshit. I won't be able to use the network for what I want, which is streaming my movies from my home computer to my phone. **** that noise.

Looks like I'll be buying an Android device.

a) I'm sure there will be a jailbroken app for that, and

b) the new Netflix app will, presumably, stream video.

Skyy God 06-07-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6804893)
AND works on 3g (crappy) 4g(I have heard works great) and wifi... I just hate that people go crazy and act like facetime is revolutionary when it's a few steps behind something that has been out for android for months.

On a side not... the new display is getting rave reviews... did the screen size itself change or is the basic form factor the same?

Same, but 33% thinner (only 9.3mm).

AustinChief 06-07-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 6804914)

um, you can't jailbreak a network. I think he is complaining that with capped data plans... streaming video becomes impossible due to the amount of transfer involved.

AustinChief 06-07-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 6804921)
Same, but 33% thinner (only 9.3mm).

yeah, I like the extra screen size on the EVO... but does look kinda big... may have to break out the parachute pants to carry it!

Silock 06-07-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 6804914)

I don't need a jail broken app. There's already one on the app store called Air Video. But with a 2gb cap, that's like 1-2 movies streamed from home per month and no room for other data transfer.

Skyy God 06-07-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6804929)
um, you can't jailbreak a network. I think he is complaining that with capped data plans... streaming video becomes impossible due to the amount of transfer involved.

Oh yeah, people will be royally f'd. The same Gizmodo guy said that 98% of current iPhone users use less than 2 gigs/month. Throw in the "HD" screen, video capabilities, netflix, etc and that's undoubtedly going to increase.

Silock 06-07-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6804850)
Come to the dark side with me! I'm upgrading my Pre to an EVO in the next few days...

iPhone4 did a GREAT job on hardware upgrades but other than the screen (which looks to blow EVERYTHING away)... they still didn't catch up to the specs on the EVO .. except possibly the processor... will need to see benchmarks on that.. I'd bet they are neck and neck.

Either way... a great job of upgrading... but with the EVO having 4g and great specs .. I'm going that route. And you are right, ATT is gonna piss alot of people off over the next few years... as Sprint and Verizon master the 4g airwaves... ATT and Tmobile are gonna look like 2nd class citizens if they don't get their asses in gear.

I might. Just depends on how much money switching to a new sprint plan will cost.

AustinChief 06-07-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6804947)
I might. Just depends on how much money switching to a new sprint plan will cost.

You on ATT now?

Silock 06-07-2010 04:08 PM

No, I'm on Sprint, but I have an old school plan employee referral offer plan. Unlimited data, text, 500 anytime, unlimited everything else for $35/mo. If I switch to a new phone, I'll have to get a new plan because they won't let me keep this one.

NewChief 06-07-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 6804945)
Oh yeah, people will be royally f'd. The same Gizmondo guy said that 98% of current iPhone users use less than 2 gigs/month. Throw in the "HD" screen, video capabilities, netflix, etc and that's undoubtedly going to increase.

Yeah, the whole... you can edit sweet movies on your iphone using imovie now isn't so sweet when you start trying to share those sweet movies and running into your data cap and costing yourself $10 extra a month.

Silock 06-07-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6805046)
$10 extra a month.

Per GB.

AustinChief 06-07-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6804982)
No, I'm on Sprint, but I have an old school plan employee referral offer plan. Unlimited data, text, 500 anytime, unlimited everything else for $35/mo. If I switch to a new phone, I'll have to get a new plan because they won't let me keep this one.

Oh yeah, to get simliar service AND 4g.. it'll cost ya $80 .. 450 minutes (free after 7pm and free to ANY other mobile) and the rest is unlimited text and data.

But yeah, more than doubles your bill.. ouch.