ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   greatest ATHLETE of all time... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120734)

ROYC75 08-03-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
But how can you be the GREATEST athlete of ALL TIME when you are objectively slower and weaker than other athletes?

I'm 1/2 Cherokee, and Thorpe's profile as a Native American icon is a source of pride, but I don't get saying someone is the greatest at something that has objective measurements that others surpass him in.
It's like saying Weissmueller was the greatest swimmer of all time, when HS girls beat his times nowadays.

Well you know Johnny was, I've seen all of those movies ! :)

I understand what you are saying, I think it is only fair to keep athletes in their own era. Tiger Woods is a dominate force, better than Jack Nicklaus due to physical ability and technology of the clubs, but someday he will be surpassed by a younger person. Tiger has not passed Jack in terms of wins, but in time he will.

Somebody will come along and break records and people will proclaim them the greatest.........

From Ali to Tyson as with any sport, it's all passed along the lines in time.

Now if you want to debate records...... There are many records that will probally never be broken again......... 7 straight Tour DeFrance will probally never be reached again.

milkman 08-03-2005 11:20 AM

I think it's relative to one's era.

Yes, Thorpe's numbers are surpassed by today's athlete's, and players are faster and bigger and stronger today.

But no one has excelled in as many athletic endeavors as Thorpe did in his era, before or since.

Baby Lee 08-03-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder

Then I nominate Goliath, who probably turns out to be a fat dude of about 6'2".

Brock 08-03-2005 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75
Bo freaking Jackson

Yeah, probably.

Baby Lee 08-03-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder

Yes, Thorpe's numbers are surpassed by today's athlete's, and players are faster and bigger and stronger today.

But no one has excelled in as many athletic endeavors as Thorpe did in his era, before or since.

I just can't wrap my mind around it. Thorpe is the greatest athlete of all time, even though he was NOT the fastest, biggest, or strongest, BUT because his competition was vastly inferior overall?
Maybe if we'd had the foresight to relegate Bo Jackson to the Special Olympics, he'd be a demi-god by now.

BIG_DADDY 08-03-2005 11:40 AM

A friggen BB player is not the greatest athlete of all time give me a break.

milkman 08-03-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
I just can't wrap my mind around it. Thorpe is the greatest athlete of all time, even though he was NOT the fastest, biggest, or strongest, BUT because his competition was vastly inferior overall?
Maybe if we'd had the foresight to relegate Bo Jackson to the Special Olympics, he'd be a demi-god by now.

Yeah, I can see your point.
Based on this idea, the greatest athlete of all time would have to be whoever is the all time record holder in the pentathlon?

Is there another event that has more competitions?

I really can get behind this idea.

I can't get behind the idea of an athlete who has excelled in only a single sport.

teedubya 08-03-2005 12:32 PM

Mildred 'Babe' Didrikson Zaharias was voted the outstanding woman athlete of the century in a 1950 Associated Press poll. Though she gained her greatest professional fame as a golfer, she rivalled Jim Thorpe in her remarkable ability to excel at nearly any sport. She began as a basketball All-American, then won two track and field golds at the 1932 Olympics. Next she turned professional and began touring the country, exhibiting her prowess in track, swimming, tennis, baseball, and even billiards. In 1935 Zaharias took up golf and excelled at that, too, winning 82 tournaments in a 20-year career. She was only 42 when she died of cancer in 1956.

papasmurf 08-03-2005 01:28 PM

other should be running away with this.

Infidel Goat 08-03-2005 02:32 PM

Ali has 6 votes to Wilt's 4?

I think not . . .

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/ali-wilt.jpg

--Infidel Goat

papasmurf 08-03-2005 07:34 PM

bump: I am still pulling for other.

luv 08-03-2005 07:37 PM

Tonya Harding

Logical 08-03-2005 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
It's gotta be Jordan. BB players expend more energy than just about any other sport on a nightly basis have to be in tremendous shape. That plus the level he played at for the length of time he played makes him the obvious choice to me.

Even I know that for pure energy expenditure Soccer players trump basketball players and the people that do the Iron Man Triathlon top them all. Jordan may be the greatest BB player ever but even that is in question as convincing cases could be made for Chamberlain and Russell as well.

old_geezer 08-03-2005 08:37 PM

Jesse Owens...............he even made Hitler look silly.

chefsos 08-03-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2rite
Tonya Harding

Is hubcap flinging a sport?