ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What the Hell is a "System QB" and why is it bad to be one? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181803)

milkman 03-20-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 4641160)
That defense was one of the most dominant of the decade and carried the '49ers that year. SF played a ball-control, dink&dunk offense with Clark catching a lot of short balls and Solomon going long every now and again. Montana played his role within the system very well.

Again, Montana was a fine QB for the offense he was in; however he was not the kind of QB (Favre, Elway) who could carry a team on his own.

Why is it so hard to see this? Why do you take it as some sort of insult?

Just so you don't misunderstand, and mistake me a Montana homer, I've argued before that it was a mistake, long term, for the Chiefs to make the trade that brought Montana to KC.

That being said, Montana was a different kind of QB than Elway and Favre, but I would argue that his time with the Chiefs actually stands as proof that he could carry a team on his own.

What he borught to the table was an understanding of what the players around him were capable of and raising the level of their play.

He was working with guys like Willie Davis and Keith Cash, and still manged to take that team to the AFC Championship game, and this in spite of the worst playoff coach in NFL history.

Mile High Mania 03-20-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4641948)
Just so you don't misunderstand, and mistake me a Montana homer, I've argued before that it was a mistake, long term, for the Chiefs to make the trade that brought Montana to KC.

That being said, Montana was a different kind of QB than Elway and Favre, but I would argue that his time with the Chiefs actually stands as proof that he could carry a team on his own.

What he borught to the table was an understanding of what the players around him were capable of and raising the level of their play.

He was working with guys like Willie Davis and Keith Cash, and still manged to take that team to the AFC Championship game, and this in spite of the worst playoff coach in NFL history.

The did make it to the AFC Title game, so that was improvement... but, he joined a team coming off two 10 win seasons... so, he didn't really carry the team. Know what I mean?

He wasn't taking over a 7 win team...

milkman 03-20-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 4641979)
The did make it to the AFC Title game, so that was improvement... but, he joined a team coming off two 10 win seasons... so, he didn't really carry the team. Know what I mean?

He wasn't taking over a 7 win team...

I get that.

But, how many playoff games did the Cheifs win without Montana?

the Talking Can 03-20-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Again, Montana was a fine QB for the offense he was in; however he was not the kind of QB (Favre, Elway) who could carry a team on his own.

because it is just so dumb....just so god damned stupid....

Mile High Mania 03-20-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4641988)
I get that.

But, how many playoff games did the Chiefs win without Montana?

Or since... (sorry)

milkman 03-20-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 4642002)
Or since... (sorry)

I'm used to it.

Chiefs_5627 03-21-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

That defense was one of the most dominant of the decade and carried the '49ers that year. SF played a ball-control, dink&dunk offense with Clark catching a lot of short balls and Solomon going long every now and again. Montana played his role within the system very well.

I just dont get how Montana's achievments could be written over so easily bcuz John was a great QB. You make it sound like anyone could have filled in for Joe and did what he did and to me thats foolish. Nobody knows, maybe neither wouldve turned into shit but acting like you have some divine knowledge of what wouldve happened is silly. Just my 2.

JohnnyV13 03-21-2008 05:56 PM

I would say a "system qb" is a guy that plays very well within a particular system, but will not thrive outside that system.

Montana is likely the best "system qb" ever. Though I am not sure he really fits the definition because I think Montana would have excelled in ANY short passing system, not just the West Coast Offense.

Elway is the perfect example of a "non-system" qb, because Elway played in an offense that featured his cannon arm early in his career, and then won two Super Bowls in a West Coast system.

Montana NEVER could have played in the Bronco offense that Elway used to take his team to two Super Bowls in the 80's. I do suspect, however, that Montana would have picked short options within that system and still been a good player. But, he never would have been a superstar had a coach tried to play him that way.