ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 7 to be released October 22nd (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208497)

J Diddy 06-26-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 5866747)
Couldn't do that with vista.

If worse comes to worse, couldn't you just create a partion load vista on it (or a restore to a new drive) and then upgrade from there. You shouldn't even have to activate before you upgraded.

007 06-26-2009 09:53 PM

Looks like I will have to reinstall Vista to then upgrade to 7. Heh, what a pain in the ass.

Basileus777 06-26-2009 10:31 PM

I've been running the Windows 7 RC for about a week, and I like it. Other than a few minor driver issues everything has been smooth.

Basileus777 06-26-2009 10:57 PM

So if I buy an upgrade version, will I have to install XP and all that just to get 7 up and running or will my CD key be enough?

I'm running the RC on a new computer, but I figure if using my the XP version from old laptop will get me a cheaper version of Windows 7, I'll do that, especially since the upgrade is selling for only $50 right now.

J Diddy 06-26-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5866883)
So if I buy an upgrade version, will I have to install XP and all that just to get 7 up and running or will my CD key be enough?

I'm running the RC on a new computer, but I figure if using my the XP version from old laptop will get me a cheaper version of Windows 7, I'll do that, especially since the upgrade is selling for only $50 right now.

In previous versions of windows you could do an upgrade just by presenting the disk during a clean install. I was just informed you couldn't do that with vista (which I didn't know, my laptop came with it preinstalled) so I doubt windows 7 will allow you to install an upgrade without xp or vista being installed on the disk.

007 06-27-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 5866893)
In previous versions of windows you could do an upgrade just by presenting the disk during a clean install. I was just informed you couldn't do that with vista (which I didn't know, my laptop came with it preinstalled) so I doubt windows 7 will allow you to install an upgrade without xp or vista being installed on the disk.

Vista actually had a workaround for this if you have the patience for it.

Install Vista and leave the product key blank. It will install a 30 day trial on your machine. After Vista is installed you could then insert the upgrade disk again, start the upgrade process right from windows and bingo, you have the new clean install of Vista without having to own any previous versions of Windows. Of course, Microsoft will probably have closed the loophole for Windows 7.

KC Jones 06-28-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5866852)
I've been running the Windows 7 RC for about a week, and I like it. Other than a few minor driver issues everything has been smooth.

I've been running it for over a month now and have been loving it. I have a bias against MS, but I have been very happy with this OS.

KCFalcon59 06-28-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5866908)
Vista actually had a workaround for this if you have the patience for it.

Install Vista and leave the product key blank. It will install a 30 day trial on your machine. After Vista is installed you could then insert the upgrade disk again, start the upgrade process right from windows and bingo, you have the new clean install of Vista without having to own any previous versions of Windows. Of course, Microsoft will probably have closed the loophole for Windows 7.

You can do a clean install. Right from Microsoft website.

:thumb:

007 06-29-2009 11:34 AM

I just hope I don't have to reinstall the entire XP and Vista OS on my 3 computers to get the clean install option. right now I am running the RC1 on all three.

Saulbadguy 07-03-2009 12:59 PM

Family pack? Paging Guru....

http://www.techspot.com/news/35321-m...mily-pack.html

007 07-03-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 5879212)

I got my family pack for only $150. But thanks. heh