ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

WoodDraw 04-01-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7531834)
So that's why I can't see it in the Market. Sam Lu's aCCleaner is there. Would that enable me to move apps to the SD card or does it just clean the cache?

It's a limitation of Android 2.1 itself. There's no way for you to move apps to your SD card. HTC has no plans to further support the phone, so if you need this functionality, you'll have to move away from the stock ROM to a froyo based ROM.

vailpass 04-01-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7531842)
It's a limitation of Android 2.1 itself. There's no way for you to move apps to your SD card. HTC has no plans to further support the phone, so if you need this functionality, you'll have to move away from the stock ROM to a froyo based ROM.

Thank you. How reeruned to build a phone with an SD card that doesn't allow you to store to the SD card.Sounds like I need a new phone.

WoodDraw 04-01-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7531845)
Thank you. How reeruned to build a phone with an SD card that doesn't allow you to store to the SD card.Sounds like I need a new phone.

TBH, that phone dates back to when Android had some serious design problems (unlike now..;p), and they encouraged all the phone makers to skin on top of it. HTC heavily skinned and modified the OS, which I'm sure makes rolling out updates a complete pain in the ass.

If some time you just want to mess around with it, you could load on an AOSP build like Cyanogen and turn it into a fairly updated phone, for as old as it is. There's nothing physically preventing the phone from running apps off an SD card, or anything else Froyo can do, other than OS support.

That would obviously require rooting, reformatting, flashing new software, and the risk of bricking the phone though.

vailpass 04-01-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7531866)
TBH, that phone dates back to when Android had some serious design problems (unlike now..;p), and they encouraged all the phone makers to skin on top of it. HTC heavily skinned and modified the OS, which I'm sure makes rolling out updates a complete pain in the ass.

If some time you just want to mess around with it, you could load on an AOSP build like Cyanogen and turn it into a fairly updated phone, for as old as it is. There's nothing physically preventing the phone from running apps off an SD card, or anything else Froyo can do, other than OS support.

That would obviously require rooting, reformatting, flashing new software, and the risk of bricking the phone though.

Thaks for taking the time to explain it to me. I recall Slag (another cell guru here) saying root or die, not sure I have the chops for that. Think I'll call Sprint customer care and see about getting an Evo first.

Sure-Oz 04-01-2011 06:24 PM

I got shazaam for free from teh amazon app store, it was $5 regulary

SLAG 04-01-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7531876)
Thaks for taking the time to explain it to me. I recall Slag (another cell guru here) saying root or die, not sure I have the chops for that. Think I'll call Sprint customer care and see about getting an Evo first.

the evo is great but if you wait another month or two I predict we will see it drop in price - to make way for the evo 3d...

Rooting the HERO is super easy.... and if you're getting an evo anyway why not try your skill at rooting the hero

a little http://www.unrevoked.com/ is all you need

WoodDraw 04-01-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7531876)

Eh, I think it depends. I took my phone back to complete stock a couple weeks ago, and I still haven't rooted it again because I haven't had a need to. But it can be useful, especially if your manufacturer abandons support or your carrier (I'm looking at you ATT) disables certain functionality.

Once you get a new phone, mess around with the Hero a bit. You can make it into a nice backup and experiment along the way.

vailpass 04-02-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 7532074)
the evo is great but if you wait another month or two I predict we will see it drop in price - to make way for the evo 3d...

Rooting the HERO is super easy.... and if you're getting an evo anyway why not try your skill at rooting the hero

a little http://www.unrevoked.com/ is all you need

Wow. I'll have to study that. Honestly I don't know what happens to a phone once you root it.

007 04-02-2011 06:53 PM

flight control is the free app of the day on amazon right now.

|Zach| 04-09-2011 02:01 AM

I have the EVO and love it.

I used the unrevoked method to root my phone to get a little work around to an amazon cloud problem I was having. Everything got fixed and things *seem* ok but I ran into a problem ever since I had the phone rooted.

I can't download things from the marketplace. Every time I do no matter what the app it says that the download is unsuccessful. Any ideas?

Also now that my phone is rooted what other fun stuff do you recommend? I already have the wireless tethering app that works really nicely but have not done anything else that is special. Thanks in advance.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-09-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7548911)

I used the unrevoked method to root my phone to get a little work around to an amazon cloud problem I was having. Everything got fixed and things *seem* ok but I ran into a problem ever since I had the phone rooted.

I can't download things from the marketplace. Every time I do no matter what the app it says that the download is unsuccessful. Any ideas?

Also now that my phone is rooted what other fun stuff do you recommend? I already have the wireless tethering app that works really nicely but have not done anything else that is special. Thanks in advance.

titanium backup root is good

mikeyis4dcats. 04-09-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7533743)
flight control is the free app of the day on amazon right now.

addictive. I played it until 3AM last night.

SLAG 04-09-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7548911)

Try finding and installing rom manager on the net.. the APK should be floating around somewhere on the web
Once installed do fix permissions and see if that helps

Sent from my GalaxyTab

The Bad Guy 04-09-2011 10:25 PM

Slag, will that website work for the evo? I have a long road trip coming up and the wife will need wifi in the car on the way down to get some work done. Getting this thing working as a mobile hotspot is my #1 priority this week.

SLAG 04-09-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7550293)
Slag, will that website work for the evo? I have a long road trip coming up and the wife will need wifi in the car on the way down to get some work done. Getting this thing working as a mobile hotspot is my #1 priority this week.

UnrEVOked? Yes it was actually originally developed for the evo...
Root via unrevoked then install wireless tether for root users from the market.. you should be good to go!

Sent from my GalaxyTab