ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Is Belichik's ego out of control? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240422)

Sorter 01-21-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9340206)
Hamas brings up a good point, though. I like that Bellichick is the only damn guy in the Parcells tree who seems to understand that the 2-gap 3-4 is outdated. So he moved to a 4-3, which was a good move. Putting Donta Hightower at OLB is a bit of a curious move. They essentially have 5 bigs, and Jerod Mayo isn't the fast kind of OLB they need to balance out that much big.

But they still 2-gap out of their 4-3.

Belichick is stubborn as hell.

O.city 01-21-2013 08:33 PM

They don't really do a good job pressuring the QB from that 2 gap either.

Sorter 01-21-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9340221)
They don't really do a good job pressuring the QB from that 2 gap either.

Ravens are the only team that 2-gap consistently from their base front and get pressure (the reason being that they utilize fire-zones off their base fronts).

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9340219)
But they still 2-gap out of their 4-3.

Belichick is stubborn as hell.

Here's a really, really interesting read on what Bellichick is doing. I had to look it up because I just don't know. But this makes perfect sense. They essentially rotate between a 2-gap, a 4-3 over, and a 4-3 under, often running multiple schemes at the same time.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...triots-defense

Interesting idea. And you wonder if the Pats made any actual commitment to adding talent to the defense, if it could actually work. I'm more and more fascinated by defenses with versatility. As offenses try harder and harder to move to a quick, no huddle snap, the ability to run multiple sets out of the same personnel is very interesting. One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of the Gus Bradley defense.

Sorter 01-21-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9340265)
Here's a really, really interesting read on what Bellichick is doing. I had to look it up because I just don't know. But this makes perfect sense. They essentially rotate between a 2-gap, a 4-3 over, and a 4-3 under, often running multiple schemes at the same time.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...triots-defense

Interesting idea. And you wonder if the Pats made any actual commitment to adding talent to the defense, if it could actually work. I'm more and more fascinated by defenses with versatility. As offenses try harder and harder to move to a quick, no huddle snap, the ability to run multiple sets out of the same personnel is very interesting. One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of the Gus Bradley defense.

They 2-gap the most out of the 3 on base fronts, especially in games they consider serious.

It's totally ****ing insane to me. For a HC who predicates scoring and aggressiveness on O as Belichick does, it is shocking to see how passive he is on D until very late, which teams pick up on.

B_Ambuehl 04-29-2013 01:23 PM

I guess Belicheat's new goal is to show that Rutgers has the best talent in all of college football.

Sorter 04-29-2013 01:53 PM

The Dobson, Boyce, Collins, and Buchannon picks were solid.

I really like the TJ Moe signing as well.

GoChargers 04-29-2013 01:58 PM

I thought Belicheat once again had a mediocre draft full of reaches. That team is ****ed when Brady retires.

And how much is Rutgers paying Belicheat to draft their whole roster?

WhiteWhale 04-29-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack (Post 7365998)
I've often wondered what coaches whom many call genius would produce without stellar athletes. Without Brady, what kind of team with the pats be; Elway somewhere else and the donks would still be perennial doormats.

No shit. This is a stupid thing to wonder, because coaches don't play. Players play. The smartest coach in the world NEEDS GOOD PLAYERS.

Quote:

Seems that so much greatness that is put onto coaches is misplaced.

Giving any one person too much credit is misplaced. Giving full credit to a guy who isn't playing is just stupid.

Quote:

Gruden comes to mind, Billick (?). I think those two had more football smarts, even though for short durations. But they got the best of what they had. Not saying their teams had overachieving scrubs.

So a coach (Gruden) who only goes after veteran journeyman QB's... and a coach that stuck with Kyle Boller for several years are the guys you point to? Really?

Quote:

Jets took Brady out of the game for the most part and it is obvious what the results were.

The patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel... and Cassel was throwing for 400+ yard games too. Think about that.

Besides that, what you're saying applies to every coach. Take away anyone's star QB and they're not going to be as good. Does that really make the coach some kind of fraud?

WhiteWhale 04-29-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9340272)
They 2-gap the most out of the 3 on base fronts, especially in games they consider serious.

It's totally ****ing insane to me. For a HC who predicates scoring and aggressiveness on O as Belichick does, it is shocking to see how passive he is on D until very late, which teams pick up on.

Pats have a shit pass rush, and have for a few years.

Again, players play. If you don't have a pass rush, your defense will struggle. Schemes are over-rated. Smart and athletic players who can execute the scheme, whatever it is, weighs far heavier than the scheme itself.

Amnorix 04-29-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9644087)
Besides that, what you're saying applies to every coach. Take away anyone's star QB and they're not going to be as good. Does that really make the coach some kind of fraud?

Not according to common CP wisdom. Around here:

Bill Walsh (coughMontanacough) = genius

Don Shula (coughUnitas/noSBwithMarino) = genius

Chuck Noll (coughridiculousroster/Bradshaw) = genius

Belichick = f'n moron whose overinflated reputation was solely made due to Tom Brady.

:shrug:

There's really only one coach in NFL history with multiple SB wins with average QBs, and that's Gibbs. But Gibbs won in an era when you could win with a great, great running game and a very good defense, which is what he built his teams on.

In fact, the Patriots SB teams were not Brady-driven passing attacks, but rather great defenses with very solid, mistake-free offenses. As Brady has become GREAT and the defenses have declined to average (or worse) the SBs have proven elusive.

Mecca 04-29-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9644157)
Not according to common CP wisdom. Around here:

Bill Walsh (coughMontanacough) = genius

Don Shula (coughUnitas/noSBwithMarino) = genius

Chuck Noll (coughridiculousroster/Bradshaw) = genius

Belichick = f'n moron whose overinflated reputation was solely made due to Tom Brady.

:shrug:

There's really only one coach in NFL history with multiple SB wins with average QBs, and that's Gibbs. But Gibbs won in an era when you could win with a great, great running game and a very good defense, which is what he built his teams on.

In fact, the Patriots SB teams were not Brady-driven passing attacks, but rather great defenses with very solid, mistake-free offenses. As Brady has become GREAT and the defenses have declined to average (or worse) the SBs have proven elusive.

I think he's taking more flack for drafting like shit in several positions for a long time more than just being called an idiot.

Amnorix 04-29-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9644173)
I think he's taking more flack for drafting like shit in several positions for a long time more than just being called an idiot.

The Patriots have drafted very poorly at the WR and secondary for a very long time now. There's no argument about that, and it has cost them dearly in the playoffs.

GordonGekko 04-29-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9644250)
The Patriots have drafted very poorly at the WR and secondary for a very long time now. There's no argument about that, and it has cost them dearly in the playoffs.

Add to that, it gets marginally tougher when you are forced per league mandate, to not record other teams' practice sessions. Really tough to win in the playoffs, hell it's almost fair one could say, when you don't know exactly what the other team is going to do the majority of plays, agree?