ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs In big win, Chiefs find a leader in Romeo Crennel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253947)

lcarus 12-19-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8218592)
IM very weary of Romeo. I like the guy, but hes old and dude basically did nothing in Cleveland. Even Bellichek had 1 decent season with a playoff win in Cleveland. IM fearful that all this is is a Post Haley hangover bump.......

He had a decent season in Cleveland. They went 10-6 but missed the playoffs.

DTLB58 12-19-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8218460)
They absolutely did not. Lamar Hunt met in secret with 8 players at Nick Lowery's house. Gansz was given the job just in time for the strike of 1987 and was saddled with most of Mackovic's assistants who were disloyal and downright underhanded. He also had an awful front office led by GM Jim Schaaf, a baseball man who somehow managed to work his way up through the ranks of the Chiefs organization in the 70's. Injuries, bad personnel decisions, the strike, and being thrown under the bus by a former assistant ruined Gansz's 2-year campaign as a Skipper. After a 4-win 1988, Carl Peterson sent him packing as his first power move after being handed the reins by Lamar.

Even if you construe that to be "openly lobbying", it doesn't have a single thing to do with Crennel. Gansz was an amazing coach and there really aren't many people who would say otherwise. You can't look at his W/L record under Schaaf and the many other circumstances which permeated his time in KC and say "look how that turned out" as though he were a Herm Edwards, Paul Wiggin, or Todd Haley.

Gansz was an amazing ST's coach. There is nothing else to proof otherwise nor more.

Hammock Parties 12-19-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8221034)
B) The guy has experience and knows our system therefore not putting us back into a "rebuilding..just wait 5 years" mode for the 3rd time in a row

This is a decent argument for keeping Romeo, especially because we're nearing the point of no return on some of our better players.

But if Romeo doesn't find a QB we're going to waste his golden years, anyway.

I can probably grudgingly accept Romeo as head coach if he makes an attempt to go get a QB.

If not, he's an old fart wasting our time.

lcarus 12-19-2011 09:02 PM

We could always sign Romeo as HC and just shit can him if we suck? There will always be another coach to go out and get if things don't work out.

DTLB58 12-19-2011 09:03 PM

McClain said of the past week. “More meeting time. More football time. Learning your opponent better, understanding your opponent. I know I watched more film this week than I watched all year.

Wasn't that by his own choosing?

petegz28 12-19-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8218592)
IM very weary of Romeo. I like the guy, but hes old and dude basically did nothing in Cleveland. Even Bellichek had 1 decent season with a playoff win in Cleveland. IM fearful that all this is is a Post Haley hangover bump.......

Did nothing? Did you see the talent he was given in Cleveland? Tell me, who has done anything in Cleveland since Marty? BB was fired from there. Romeo took them to their last winning season with dick for talent.

I am not saying we sign Romeo tomorrow but to be weary is rather obserd.

petegz28 12-19-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega (Post 8221048)
This is a decent argument for keeping Romeo, especially because we're nearing the point of no return on some of our better players.

But if Romeo doesn't find a QB we're going to waste his golden years, anyway.

I can probably grudgingly accept Romeo as head coach if he makes an attempt to go get a QB.

If not, he's an old fart wasting our time.

The attempt at a QB is not necessarily up to the HC. You do have the GM who unfortunately carries a lot of weight in that decision. Having said that Romeo made the best and though obvious decision, he made it by starting Orton and using Stanzi as the backup and not even activating Palko. That's a step in the right direction regardless.

KCrockaholic 12-19-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 8221053)
McClain said of the past week. “More meeting time. More football time. Learning your opponent better, understanding your opponent. I know I watched more film this week than I watched all year.

Wasn't that by his own choosing?

He was probably forced to watch extra film because he had more snaps in this game than any other all season long.

WhiteWhale 12-19-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8221054)
Did nothing? Did you see the talent he was given in Cleveland? Tell me, who has done anything in Cleveland since Marty? BB was fired from there. Romeo took them to their last winning season with dick for talent.

I am not saying we sign Romeo tomorrow but to be weary is rather obserd.

I'm not sure you can compare the 'pre-expansion' Browns to the current expansion team.

Remember the team Marty coached plays in Baltimore now.

This Browns franchise has sucked since their inception.

KCrockaholic 12-19-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8221064)
The attempt at a QB is not necessarily up to the HC. You do have the GM who unfortunately carries a lot of weight in that decision. Having said that Romeo made the best and though obvious decision, he made it by starting Orton and using Stanzi as the backup and not even activating Palko. That's a step in the right direction regardless.

I agree with that. The way Romeo is making statements right now is refreshing. He didn't wait until last second to name a starter. He named his starter Wednesday. He doesn't **** around. He gets to the point.

petegz28 12-19-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 8221066)
I'm not sure you can compare the 'pre-expansion' Browns to the current expansion team.

Remember the team Marty coached plays in Baltimore now.

This Browns franchise has sucked since their inception.

That sort of makes my point. Romeo was dealt shitty players and somehow squeeked out a winning season. And if I remember right didn't he damn near beat the high flying Chiefs until his player took his helmet off and Green somehow avoided a sack and got the ball handed to Tait who ran us into FG range?

WhiteWhale 12-19-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8221077)
That sort of makes my point. Romeo was dealt shitty players and somehow squeeked out a winning season. And if I remember right didn't he damn near beat the high flying Chiefs until his player took his helmet off and Green somehow avoided a sack and got the ball handed to Tait who ran us into FG range?

No. Romeo was in New England in 2002 during the helmet game. He didn't become coach of Cleveland until 2005.

KCrockaholic 12-19-2011 09:12 PM

lol Pete has his years all jacked up.

petegz28 12-19-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 8221074)
I agree with that. The way Romeo is making statements right now is refreshing. He didn't wait until last second to name a starter. He named his starter Wednesday. He doesn't **** around. He gets to the point.

That is what an effective coach does. This guy has been around to know what it takes to when. Yes, he has made mistakes, we all do. He is smart enough to have learned from them and adjusted to see where he went wrong. I'd take him over Fisher in a heartbeat. Fisher has never won anything and never been on a team (that I am aware of) that has won anything. Fisher is a Marty wanna-be and Marty kicked his ass all over the field. Haley wiped the Titans all over the field last year with Matt ****ing Cassel.

Romeo has been on winning teams. SB winning teams. He has learned under some very successful people and programs. Maybe his 1st run at HC wasn't much to write home about but how many of us ever do good our 1st time at things? I think he has shown enough and has enough experience that giving him another shot at HC with some talented players is not a bad decision and could very well be a good decision.

And another intangible...he gets along with Pioli and Pioli repsects Romeo. Romeo didn't have to come here. He came here more or less as a favor to Pioli. He wants to coach, he wants to coach this team and a HC and GM that get along is something you MUST have.

I think Romeo is the kind of person he could tell Pioli "no" and Pioli says OK, you're the coach.

Marcellus 12-19-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 8221093)
lol Pete has his years all jacked up.

When has CP ever let fact trump opinion?