ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple overhauling its 30 pin connector (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365)

Pitt Gorilla 08-15-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8819803)
yeah, too lazy to find it....but seem to like to argue about it

Here it is:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464

DaneMcCloud 08-15-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8818429)
Have you tried calibrating the battery with the Battery Doctor app?

No, I haven't. Is that an installed feature or a download? Thanks for the response! :)

AustinChief 08-15-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8819740)
I'm all for standards, but Apple doesn't want to standardize. It benefits by keeping it's iPod/iPhone/iPad products distinct. It won't do anything to hurt it's brand.

If the argument is that Apple should have kept it's old connector vs. the new one, that's nonsense. It's not unreasonable to expect companies to update their technology once a decade.

If the argument is that Apple should have adopted USB, I can buy that. But won't happen.

Also, yes - **** Sony. 100x.

Yep, this is all I'm saying.. and yet again.. **** Sony.

AustinChief 08-15-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8819712)
The bolded is not true bud. You're just trying to be difficult.

And regarding the iPad market share, it's still a very long way from 15%. It will be more than a little ironic that the Android tablet you buy me when I win our bet won't have a new version of Flash available.

I actually can't find EXACT figures but the white-box segment of JUST ANDROID tablets is set to outsell iPads this year... the problem is... then you have to add in all OTHER tablet sales and the only place I know of to get that info charges like $1000 for the reports. My best guess is that it will be close to 20-25% because Microsoft was too slow to get in the game.. they are going to be almost a full year behind what I thought.

Oh and I think the cutoff was 17% but yeah at this pace it should be close but it looks like you may win. If you're lucky, the timing might work out where Google has their next Nexus out by then!

Silock 08-15-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8820033)
No, I haven't. Is that an installed feature or a download? Thanks for the response! :)

It's a download, but totally worth it, IMO.

patteeu 08-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8817458)
I assume it would be too traumatized to talk to me after getting cussed out 50 times a day.

You can have Siri refer to you as "Appliance Killer" if you want. That will probably keep her appropriately respectful.

AustinChief 09-10-2012 12:15 AM

and here we have pics of Apple's new NINE pin connector .. yes, that's right two pins less than microUSB3. So even though KCFish's "mo pins equals mo better!" argument was complete bullshit from the get go... it now falls completely apart.

Assuming the pics are accurate and the rumors are correct as well.. the new connector is the same size as microusb and the only advantage is that it appears to be reversible. Of course on the negative side is the issue that NO OTHER COMPANY IN THE ****ING WORLD uses it.

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content...phone-5-41.jpg

On an semi-related note... it appears that Apple will FINALLY get 4G with the iPhone 5. I have read a number of articles this week that basically are fawning over Apple for this move and how awesome they are. um, I have had 4g phones for THREE YEARS now. It's beyond amazing that anyone would give them credit for finally catching up.

The media fascination with Apple is annoying as hell. They are down to a 16% share of the market and if Microsoft doesn't screw up that will probably fall to the 10-15% range in the next few years. Android has FOUR times the market share and receives LESS media attention. That is just insane.

Great Expectations 09-10-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8896978)

The media fascination with Apple is annoying as hell. They are down to a 16% share of the market and if Microsoft doesn't screw up that will probably fall to the 10-15% range in the next few years. Android has FOUR times the market share and receives LESS media attention. That is just insane.

I plan on switching from an iphone to android.

Once there is a single phone out there that has a comparable market share of the iPhone it will probably get similar attention.

AustinChief 09-12-2012 11:44 AM

bump for discussion of the now official new connector.

L.A. Chieffan 09-12-2012 11:45 AM

Its called Lightning. Another 100 Billion for Apple

What else is there to discuss?

AustinChief 09-12-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8904178)
Its called Lightning. Another 100 Billion for Apple

What else is there to discuss?

I want to hear the excuses made by fanbois for why they didn't just use micro usb3... like everyone else.

Pitt Gorilla 09-12-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8904298)
I want to hear the excuses made by fanbois for why they didn't just use micro usb3... like everyone else.

They don't want/have to.

AustinChief 09-12-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8904971)
They don't want/have to.

Well, they were earlier in this thread...

It's a piece of shit move by Apple that is simply proprietary nonsense and hope it backfires. Unfortunately the fanbois will gargle down any hot load that Apple shoots their way and nary a grumble will be heard.

Pitt Gorilla 09-12-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8904980)
Well, they were earlier in this thread...

It's a piece of shit move by Apple that is simply proprietary nonsense and hope it backfires. Unfortunately the fanbois will gargle down any hot load that Apple shoots their way and nary a grumble will be heard.

I think you may have misunderstood; Apple doesn't want/have to use another standard.

I'm trying to figure out why it gets your panties in such a bunch. If you don't like it, fine. If others do, fine. Like you said, the market will sort it out, as it always has.

AustinChief 09-12-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8904987)
I think you may have misunderstood; Apple doesn't want/have to use another standard.

I'm trying to figure out why it gets your panties in such a bunch. If you don't like it, fine. If others do, fine. Like you said, the market will sort it out, as it always has.

pet peeve. I bitch about Sony for the same crap just as much. I'm a huge standards guy.

But yes, you are being realistic about why Apple is doing. Others have made bogus claims that it was a necessary advancement that was superior to any standard out there.