ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell considering doing away with kickoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267426)

okoye35chiefs 12-06-2012 02:40 PM

i could see him just spotting the ball at the 20 instead of kickoffs..

don't like it but I see that as a more likely scenario vs that garbage of 4th and 15..

Contrarian 12-06-2012 02:41 PM

They should change the kickoff back to the way it was and have the kick off team start further back from where the ball is kicked from!

If they want to make drastic changes then they should implement under 5 minutes after each play the clock stops whether they are in bounds or not. I am sick of seeing games that are finished in the last 5 minutes because the other team can run out clock and in some instances take a penalty to waste time for an advantage.

Chiefnj2 12-06-2012 02:49 PM

They always talk about injuries on kickoffs, but I don't seem to notice it. Seems like a lot more violent hits (and fines) on 3rd and 4th and long when WRs are left out to dry.

CoMoChief 12-06-2012 02:52 PM

Hey lets do away w/ tackling too!!!

Chiefnj2 12-06-2012 02:58 PM

The league wants to focus on the dangers of kick returns yet the HOF refuses to vote in special teamers since they aren't "real" players.

whoman69 12-06-2012 03:00 PM

Goodell doesn't have a stranglehold on the rules. Any rules changes have to be approved by the rules committee. That said, knowing the commissioner is behind a rule change adds weight to the argument. They're still able to tell him no as they have with the 18 game schedule and a team in London.

CoMoChief 12-06-2012 03:28 PM

They're doing all of this because the NFL is gonna get bitch slapped with a huge concussion class-action lawsuit, and they're doing as much damage control as they can now to make it look like they're promoting as much safety as possible.

listopencil 12-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9185492)
Could you throw it across the infield to the other side? Or would it be like hockey icing where you can't throw it further than one end zone?

If you have the "sidelines" in the middle then I think you have to rule out throws across the middle. Too much potential for interference. How about we make the area in the middle circular with a cirumference of 110 yards? The field itself could be 53.5 yards wide.This gives the middle spot a diameter of 35 yards. Eliminate the "sidelines" concept and rent ad space there instead. Allow signage below thirty inches in height. I like your "icing" rule. Say a pass can not circumvent an end zone at any time or it is an illegal "forward pass."

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-06-2012 04:56 PM

This commissioner is truly a pile of garbage.

007 12-06-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."
Uh no. With the current BS they have done to kickoffs, I would be fine with them just giving the opposing team the ball on the 20 after scores though.

Bob Dole 12-06-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9185592)
I got it, still have the draft, still have workouts, not practice someone could get hurt, then each week have something the equivalent of a rookie combine. Based on the results of this combine they basically make odds as to which team should win the game. Now based on that percentage, they do something the equivalent of flipping a coin, but have it weighted based on the results of the combine for that week. We no longer waste 3 hours of everyone's time watching the game, and no one should get seriously injured; however, you keep the players skills, the gm, the coaches, and all of that still involved in the outcome of the game.

(And if your sarcasm meter is broken **** off and move on)

Just have a combine that involves all the players from each team every year (after the draft combine and draft), then plug all the results in a proprietary Madden-like video game and run 100 simulations each week. BAM!

Watch parties, fantasy teams, sim casts, Vegas lines. All the same shit.

Bump 12-06-2012 06:24 PM

GRRRR

KurtCobain 12-06-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9186165)
Uh no. With the current BS they have done to kickoffs, I would be fine with them just giving the opposing team the ball on the 20 after scores though.

Then there's no chance to get the ball back like an onside kick. There would be no comebacks.

007 12-06-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9186216)
Then there's no chance to get the ball back like an onside kick. There would be no comebacks.

I want them to move the ball back to the 30 again. I'm just saying they neutered the kickoff this year.

notorious 12-06-2012 06:43 PM

The 4th and 15 idea is horrific.

I can't imagine how many times we would see Brady/Manning get a defensive holding call or PI call to allow them a chance to win the game.