ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Expectations and Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271413)

splatbass 03-23-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9524057)
We're hoping for mediocrity from a 29-year-old QB, as if these shouldn't be the prime years of his career. He's not ascending. At best, his talent will plateau until around 33.

No, we're hoping for better than mediocrity (the most overused word on this forum, by the way. Maybe some of you should get a thesaurus).

FringeNC 03-23-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9524093)
Why will Alex Smith be better in KC than he's ever been in his career? I'm ready for a convincing argument in response to this question.

And I don't want to read, "Because of Andy Reid."

This isn't baseball and sabermetrics. There is far more year to year variance in QB rating than OPS, for a whole host of reasons.

jd1020 03-23-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524098)
No, we're hoping for better than mediocrity (the most overused word on this forum, by the way. Maybe some of you should get a thesaurus).

Mediocrity wouldn't be so overused if it didn't perfectly define Alex Smith and the Chiefs.

Dave Lane 03-23-2013 05:07 PM

I think we have a better chance at 5-11 that the other way around.

I suspect we will be better and I actually think there is a better chance of going 11-5 if Smith does get hurt. Stanzi or Daniels might pull something out of their rectums. We know the verdict on Smith.

Dave Lane 03-23-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9524099)
This isn't baseball and sabermetrics. There is far more year to year variance in QB rating than OPS, for a whole host of reasons.

So you are saying its just as likely that Alex goes 1,900 yards 17 TDs and 22 INTs at 54%?

Spott 03-23-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9524104)

I suspect we will be better and I actually think there is a better chance of going 11-5 if Smith does get hurt. Stanzi or Daniels might pull something out of their rectums. We know the verdict on Smith.

I never noticed your signature with those stats until now. That pretty much says it all.

keg in kc 03-23-2013 05:11 PM

If we're no no longer allowed to use mediocre, then I hereby nominate "fairish", "humdrum", "middling", "no great shakes", "pedestrian", "second-rate" and "unexceptional" for average mediocre replacement and "crappy", "junky", "ratty", "raunchy", "rinky-dink", "rubbishy", "shoddy", "small-time", "tatty", "tawdry", "trashy" and "two-bit" for inferior mediocre replacement.

splatbass 03-23-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9524104)

I think we will win 7 or 8 no matter who the QB is. I think there is a chance we will win 10 or 11 games with Alex Smith (only because I don't think we were as bad as the 2-14 record indicates, competent coaching last year and we would have had a better record).

But the truth is that none of us know what will happen. Declaring Alex Smith a failure at this point is ridiculous.

splatbass 03-23-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9524113)
If we're no no longer allowed to use mediocre, then I hereby nominate "fairish", "humdrum", "middling", "no great shakes", "pedestrian", "second-rate" and "unexceptional" for average mediocre replacement and "crappy", "junky", "ratty", "raunchy", "rinky-dink", "rubbishy", "shoddy", "small-time", "tatty", "tawdry", "trashy" and "two-bit" for inferior mediocre replacement.

I didn't say you aren't allowed to, just that is would be nice. It seems that a lot of people here just parrot each other so every post from the people with low expectations starts looking exactly the same.

DeezNutz 03-23-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9524098)

First, you're on a Chiefs forum, so the usage is natural. Second, I could have just said "A True Fan's wet dream," but this makes vaginas sensitive.

DTLB58 03-23-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9523840)
In other news his wife is smoking hot.

Okay....How many just googled Alex Smith's wife (images)? :thumb:

Chiefshrink 03-23-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9524093)
Why will Alex Smith be better in KC than he's ever been in his career? I'm ready for a convincing argument in response to this question.

And I don't want to read, "Because of Andy Reid."

Well Clark definitely thinks Andy is the sh** otherwise Reid probably doesn't take the job as keg said.

Dave Lane 03-23-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9524113)

You forgot ho-hum

FringeNC 03-23-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9524108)
So you are saying its just as likely that Alex goes 1,900 yards 17 TDs and 22 INTs at 54%?

No, I am saying Andy Reid believes he can make Alex Smith more productive than he has been previously, and Reid has SOME history in doing that with players. That's all I am saying. The chance of Alex Smith throwing for 4000+ yards with limited interceptions is possible, and Reid thinks he can get that. Main argument is that Reid thinks he can get that.

DTLB58 03-23-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9523836)
He is going to get hurt.

Chances are the majority of the NFL QB's will also in the said given 2-5 years.