ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Finally upgraded to a new gas grill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274690)

Consistent1 07-22-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9826701)
Dafuq?!?!?

Look, I think Gas Grills are the debil and think anyone that has to resort to one is less of a man for having to do so.

That all being said - you should go kill yourself...immediately.

Matchlight? Are you ****ing kidding me? Lighter fluid in general is awful and that matchlight shit is the most god-awful, meat ruining substance to ever grace God's green earth. I believe it was invented when Hitler was in charge of research and development for Kingsford.

As others have said - WTF is so difficult about a chimney starter? Start your coals and wait 10 minutes. It's ridiculously easy and involves zero lighter fluid (seriously...I can't believe someone just suggested matchlight on filets. Has that person killed himself yet?). Get your steaks out of the fridge and let them come down a bit while you're waiting for the coals to burn and you're in good shape.

There's nothing that can be done on a grill that doesn't take 10 minutes unless you're talking about hot dogs. Making hamburgers? It's going to take you 5-10 minutes to season and form. Chicken? Seasoning and patting. Steaks? Season, pat and rest. Everything on a grill takes 10 minutes or so of prep.

So why someone believes you can't just use that ten minutes while waiting for the coals to glow is just beyond me.

Nice meltdown. The matchlight shit was obvious sarcasm.

DJ's left nut 07-22-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9826788)
I've never cooked with charcoal. How do you gauge and control the heat?

Fuel and air.

If you're using something like briquettes, it's damn near a science. The really good grillers are almost able to count coals and tell you exactly what their temperature will be. The classic rookie mistake is to use way too much charcoal and then not know how to kill it without filling the chamber up with soot.

Second thing to remember with the fuel is the placement of same. Indirect heat will save many a leg quarter/pork steak. Don't just cover the bottom with briquettes and expect good results for most things.

Finally - use your vents to cool the fire, but don't choke it off. Then you start making a starved fire that throws impurities about. It's not terribly noticable, but it can be if you're not careful. I've adopted the same approach I took in smoking and I never close my top vent. I want anything in that kettle that's floating to be able to escape. You can control your heat exclusively through your lower vents.

Fuel and air; it's really not difficult. I don't understand the folks that can't seem to get a handle on it. A charcoal grill isn't any harder to run than a gas grill. Slow-cooking over indirect heat is actually easier on a kettle than a gas grill, IMO.

DJ's left nut 07-22-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consistent1 (Post 9826807)
Nice meltdown. The matchlight shit was obvious sarcasm.

So you're saying you haven't killed yourself yet...

We don't joke about matchlight, sir.

Great Expectations 07-22-2013 09:46 AM

What temp does the plug and grill get to?

I usually wait the 15-20 minutes for my BGE (the knockoffs are better than a gas, but don't work as well) to get to 650-700 degrees for steaks and burgers.

aturnis 07-22-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9825994)
http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-...met-t-22d.html

The steaks came out great for a change.:thumb:

Nice to have a grill that makes me feel like I can cook again.

TAKE IT BACK! The thing sucks. The air folks clog with fear quickly. Basically, you have to disassemble your grill and clean them each and every time you cook. Otherwise the build-up burns, smokes, and messes with the flavor of your food.

TAKE IT BACK À

R8RFAN 07-22-2013 09:52 AM

Make your own hardwood charcoal

Omaha 07-22-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9826138)
Why not just get a big green egg?

It gets much hotter than the gas grill in the op in just a few minutes and smokes better than the Weber bullet.

You also don't ever have to replace it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9826163)
That thing is over priced and overrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9826206)
$700 for a charcoal cooker shaped like an egg? No ****ing way would I pay that.

I've never met anyone who has regretted buying one. Everyone I've met who has one loves the thing.

How do they stand up to weather? It's ceramic so what happens if it rains while it's hot?

tooge 07-22-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9826788)
I've never cooked with charcoal. How do you gauge and control the heat?

Yeah, air vents are one way, but they control the amount of air the coals get, and thus the burn time too. I prefer to vary the heat by the amount of coals I use. If I'm doing a Sirloin (not chewy at all if med rare, rested, and cut right), I might use about half a chimney. If I'm doing ribeyes, I like to sear the shit out of all that fat, so I'll use more. Then play with the vents.

Ming the Merciless 07-22-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9826605)
14-18 minutes total cook time and they are med rare?

He likes his top sirloin chewy bro

Omaha 07-22-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9826500)
you got destroyed for saying you could taste the gas

ROFL

Eleazar 07-22-2013 10:23 AM

I think electric grills are great. I want to taste the meat, not the gas or chemicals resulting from the fuel burning below it. People like charcoal because they are accustomed to it but you would think a flavor purist would not want to taste carbon monoxide, all the chemicals added to charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid, etc. Empty heat is more natural isnt it?

Fire Me Boy! 07-22-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 9826907)
I think electric grills are great. I want to taste the meat, not the gas or chemicals resulting from the fuel burning below it. People like charcoal because they are accustomed to it but you would think a flavor purist would not want to taste carbon monoxide, all the chemicals added to charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid, etc. Empty heat is more natural isnt it?

Natural? No. Natural fire burning from wood flavors whatever it's cooking. Pure beef (or chicken or pork or whatever) flavor, sure. But the smokiness that comes from grilling is a natural accompaniment to meat.

That said, I don't know many serious grillers that use briquettes. Most use natural lump charcoal. That doesn't have fillers, and you get a better, natural flavor.

In58men 07-22-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9826861)
He likes his top sirloin chewy bro

A top sirloin is a more chewy than a New York and a Filet, that's why I prefer a sirloin.

morphius 07-22-2013 10:44 AM

Saw this earlier this month:

Quote:

True fact: Cooking on a gas grill is more convenient than cooking with charcoal.
It’s also a lot less special. And, scientifically speaking, it creates less flavorful food.
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07...tter-than-gas/

(Personally I use charcoal, but I really don't care what anyone uses)

Consistent1 07-22-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9826956)
A top sirloin is a more chewy than a New York and a Filet, that's why I prefer a sirloin.

I like high quality thick sirloins rare. Very good stuff. I'll get blasted for this, but the Texas Roadhouse here seems to hit a homer every time. Nice meat quality, great salad and the environment isn't that bad. They have $7.99 specials from 4-6 on weekdays here, and you can't beat that restaurant wise.