ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Grade the 1st quarter of the season for Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276782)

OnTheWarpath15 09-29-2013 09:56 PM

Solid B.

Not sure what happened during halftime, but apparently he flipped a switch.

I'll gladly take some INTs if we can keep that guy for the rest of the season. The first half, he was jittery, and passed over several WIDE open WRs downfield to either run or dump off. I'd have to watch the replay, but there were two plays in the first quarter where he missed an opportunity to McGrath on a post wide open that would have gone for 20+, and had McCluster running free behind the defense for an easy TD, but passed it by.

But the guy in the second half was willing to throw downfield. We need more of that.

His best play of the day was the TD to Bowe. Looked like a busted play, he slings it into tight coverage and Bowe does the dirty work. THAT'S why you have to get the ball to Bowe.

Hopefully the offense has turned the page on these early game struggles.

Dylan 09-29-2013 10:14 PM

Alex Smith is US debt number better than Colin Kaepernick is.

mcaj22 09-29-2013 10:19 PM

I'd give him an A

he hasnt taken the hits yet like he did in SF that got him hurt/injury prone

if he stays afloat and plays like this he will be very good, the knock on him is his injuries, but he's been very aware of when his crappy o-line has been breaking down and he's done a damn good job of escaping/getting the ball out. If he gets caught and whacked though will be the scary part.

he took some hard hits in those shitty years in SF, and even last year on the good team he got knocked out.

Sorter 09-29-2013 10:21 PM

Definitely a B.

Impressed, to say the least.

AussieChiefsFan 09-29-2013 10:26 PM

The second interception today was fairly unlucky on Smith's part. I feel that most of the INTs that Smith throws will be like that.

Anyway. I'm really glad with how he's played do far this year.

Id say B+

Eleazar 09-29-2013 11:28 PM

I was reading an old scouting report of Alex Smith from SI, when he was coming into the draft, and this all really does sound like him today:

Quote:

POSITIVES: Efficient and reliable passer that's done well in his college system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle and places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing on crossing patterns. Patient in the pocket, effectively reads the defense and does not make poor decisions. Goes through receiver progressions, waits for pass catchers to come free and throws to the safe underneath target if nothing's available downfield. Sets up with solid fundamentals and passes with an over-the-top delivery. Keeps his feet active and easily gets outside the pocket, making the throw on the move. Displays outstanding wherewithal and knows where receivers are on the field. Throws tight spiral with good zip. Stands strong and poised in the pocket as it collapses around him.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his corner patters in the end zone as passes tend to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

ANALYSIS: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense, Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

PROJECTION: Early First Round
That's exactly what we have seen from him in the past four games. He is very good at executing an offense. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's very effective in the short and medium passing game. Pretty much a prototypical quarterback for this system. His main downside is that he doesn't have elite arm strength, as we have seen, but for what Reid is trying to do, you can see why he liked Smith all these years.

Mav 09-29-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10034098)
I was reading an old scouting report of Alex Smith from SI, when he was coming into the draft, and this all really does sound like him today:

That's exactly what we have seen from him in the past four games. He is very good at executing an offense. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's very effective in the short and medium passing game. Pretty much a prototypical quarterback for this system. His main downside is that he doesn't have elite arm strength, as we have seen, but for what Reid is trying to do, you can see why he liked Smith all these years.

I haven't seen a single throw from him this year that suggests that arm strength is an issue at all.

matter of fact. I would say of the elite qbs, and no, im not calling Alex Smith elite, and im not saying you have an issue with this, just stating the obvious, that of Brees, Rodgers, Manning of the Peyton variety, and Brady, that the only one that has a plus arm is Rodgers, and Alex Smith has as good an arm as the other three.

Accuracy, and anticipation are the most important traits for a qb.

Anyway. Good post.

Eleazar 09-29-2013 11:49 PM

He's got enough arm strength, but probably just average among starters in the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10034130)
He's got enough arm strength, but probably just average among starters in the NFL.

I haven't seen him make any throws, in KC or SF, that have made me question his arm strength.

el borracho 09-30-2013 12:04 AM

Combined record of the first four opponents is 3-13.
Alex is on pace for a magical 27/7 season.
B-

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10034156)
B-

Dumb.

Just like every other stupid ****ing post you've made on this subject.

Mav 09-30-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10034156)
B-

Your bears lost today....

Are you sad?

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10034159)
Your bears lost today....

Are you sad?

He's a ****ing troll with an ugly dude in his avatar

Mav 09-30-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10034162)
He's a ****ing troll with an ugly dude in his avatar

ROFL

I know, he/she has been pissy moody pants since I have been here. Poking the bear (pun intended) when it comes into a thread to grade a guy who by all accounts is exceeding even the most ardent detractors of the Chiefs moves this offseason, is just too much for me to pass up.

And, I think I have been pretty mellow today all things considering. :D

suzzer99 09-30-2013 12:36 AM

B- until the 4th Q - where he's done everything we need and gets a solid A.