ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jamaal Charles is best K.C. back ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279156)

ToxSocks 12-04-2013 04:52 PM

JC = GOAT.

Anyone who says otherwise is just getting all nostalgic on us.

Dayze 12-04-2013 04:54 PM

nothing sweeter than watching Priest's patience on a sweep play then busting it inside for mega yardage.

htismaqe 12-04-2013 04:58 PM

Charles' YPC mark is not just GOAT for the Chiefs, it's GOAT PERIOD.

Pretty easy discussion, IMO.

Dayze 12-04-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10248447)
Charles' YPC mark is not just GOAT for the Chiefs, it's GOAT PERIOD.

Pretty easy discussion, IMO.

He's no Terrell Davis.

Rain Man 12-04-2013 05:02 PM

I see a lot of talk about offensive lines, but I have a question for people.

Priest was great and he had a great offensive line. But in part I view that as a perfect marriage. Priest was great at patiently awaiting blocks and working with blockers. He wasn't a speed merchant, but he was great at maneuvering in traffic. That worked great with his line, because they were going to win all of their battles and they were good at maneuvering in space.

If we look at Larry Johnson, he was a different kind of runner. He had speed if he got in the open field, but he didn't necessarily work with his blockers. He just blasted. His ideal offensive line was big guys who could get a push, more so than guys working in space. That's why, for example, Tony Richardson wasn't a good fit as his fullback. Priest would wait for Tony to clear the zone, whereas Larry wouldn't (and didn't need to so much).

Jamaal is good at working with blockers, but I think his real strength is identifying a hole, getting to it quickly, and then accelerating to Mach 1. In a weird way, he's actually closer to Larry Johnson's style than to Priest's, though he's a bit of a hybrid of the two. I'm not so sure that our amazing 2003ish offensive line would have boosted Jamaal that much, because I don't see him picking around behind the line waiting for them to take out their man.

I think he would have gotten a bigger boost than Larry did, though, and I'm not saying there wouldn't be a boost. Jamaal running that left sweep behind Roaf would have been a work of art. I just think that that line isn't necessarily what suits him best, whereas they were a perfect fit for Priest's running style.

ThaVirus 12-04-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10246285)
:clap: ROFL
I was driving back to Houston from KC after the Texans game and heard the "escalades" comment on KCFX. Spit my coffee out all over the dash.

Does anyone have a sound byte of that? I'd love to hear it.

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10248463)
I see a lot of talk about offensive lines, but I have a question for people.

Priest was great and he had a great offensive line. But in part I view that as a perfect marriage. Priest was great at patiently awaiting blocks and working with blockers. He wasn't a speed merchant, but he was great at maneuvering in traffic. That worked great with his line, because they were going to win all of their battles and they were good at maneuvering in space.

If we look at Larry Johnson, he was a different kind of runner. He had speed if he got in the open field, but he didn't necessarily work with his blockers. He just blasted. His ideal offensive line was big guys who could get a push, more so than guys working in space. That's why, for example, Tony Richardson wasn't a good fit as his fullback. Priest would wait for Tony to clear the zone, whereas Larry wouldn't (and didn't need to so much).

Jamaal is good at working with blockers, but I think his real strength is identifying a hole, getting to it quickly, and then accelerating to Mach 1. In a weird way, he's actually closer to Larry Johnson's style than to Priest's, though he's a bit of a hybrid of the two. I'm not so sure that our amazing 2003ish offensive line would have boosted Jamaal that much, because I don't see him picking around behind the line waiting for them to take out their man.

I think he would have gotten a bigger boost than Larry did, though, and I'm not saying there wouldn't be a boost. Jamaal running that left sweep behind Roaf would have been a work of art. I just think that that line isn't necessarily what suits him best, whereas they were a perfect fit for Priest's running style.

Willie Roaf made that WHOLE line work. The day he retired our line went to shit, our Offense went to shit and Trent Green got a concussion running for his life. If he was blocking for Jamaal, we'd be looking at history being made.

WhiteWhale 12-05-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10248437)
nothing sweeter than watching Priest's patience on a sweep play then busting it inside for mega yardage.

Is that what you thought was sweet?

I loved watching it, but it was because it was consistently the most flawlessly blocked sweep I've ever seen. Two guys, (plus T-rich) would spill out and get a hat on everyone. Priest usually had 2-3 lanes to pick. ALL of our guys could block in space. They could pull any of the 5 down linemen and they could all do it.

That OL was just ridiculous.

loochy 12-05-2013 12:03 PM

RASHAAN SHEEHEE

Pasta Little Brioni 12-05-2013 12:05 PM

We were told here that he was just another Tatum Bell ROFL

hometeam 12-15-2013 07:48 PM

Well well well.

Anyone still doubting?

tredadda 12-15-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10281972)
Well well well.

Anyone still doubting?

I like how he is being utilized for sure, but is he better than Priest? Not sure on that, but he is at least top 2.

dmahurin 12-15-2013 08:21 PM

At this point I would say they are 1a and 1b and you could put either one at 1a and have a solid argument for why. Charles definitely has the ability and still has at least a few more years to solidify himself as the top guy without the letter attachment.

Prison Bitch 12-15-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 10282073)
I like how he is being utilized for sure, but is he better than Priest? Not sure on that, but he is at least top 2.

Awful.

MeatRock 12-15-2013 08:27 PM

Charles is the best back KC has had ever. Yes even better than Holmes.