ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV What "Classic" Movies Have You Never Seen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280635)

lcarus 01-16-2014 10:18 AM

I've never seen Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I haven't seen really ANY classic western movie. I need to change that soon.

Amnorix 01-16-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10371300)
I think you are hitting on exactly the reason why most don't watch or even try to.

In THAT era, movies like that were groundbreaking pieces of art. If you try to look at movies from that time you are looking at them through the eyes of this generation.

To me movies like The Grapes of Wrath, 12 Angry Men, Casblanca and It's A Wonderful Life are from a generation apart. You have to love old classic movies in B&W to really enjoy them and they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Fast forward this thread 10 years and you will have a generation of people saying how bad and cheesy movies are from this era.

I think you're right in some respects, but not always. Some movies/stories are just sort of timeless and so well-acted it doesn't much matter. I think Casablanca is awesome regardless of when it's made.

Conversely, being a Cary Grant fan, I watched Gunga Din. My god is it bad. The action scenes are comically awful.

But The Philadelphia Story, with Cary Grant, is quite good. As long as you can tolerate B&W movies (some people have a visceral hatred for them, like my wife, there are some really good movies out there to see. The acting was just better, on average, back then, and plot didn't suffer for special effects.

Amnorix 01-16-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10373043)
I've never seen Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I haven't seen really ANY classic western movie. I need to change that soon.

Whoa.

Skip Citizen Kane. Watch Casablanca.

My favorite classic Western is probably The Searchers, though there are many others you could go for, and the Searchers has less action than some.

blaise 01-16-2014 11:09 AM

As far as black and white classics, I like On the Waterfront the best. And I like Casablanca but I like the Maltese Falcon more.

Easy 6 01-16-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10369064)
Somebody should probably make a thread about Chick Flicks (love stories, relationship movies, blah blah blah, whatever) that are worth watching. I would put Eternal Sunshine on there. More if I gave it some thought.

That ones too easy for me... The Bridges of Madison County.

Powerful acting, powerful story, crushing love.

Amnorix 01-16-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10373111)
As far as black and white classics, I like On the Waterfront the best. And I like Casablanca but I like the Maltese Falcon more.

I'm also a huge fan of Maltese Falcon, so I won't fault you for that. :D

Amnorix 01-16-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10373248)
That ones too easy for me... The Bridges of Madison County.

Powerful acting, powerful story, crushing love.

The word hate doesn't begin to capture my feelings for that movie. It's a story about a three day weekend, as I recall, and it felt like the movie lasted at least ten. I remember watching and watching and watching and watching and watching and watching....and then the FIRST DAY ended, and I was like "OH MY GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Easy 6 01-16-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10373313)
The word hate doesn't begin to capture my feelings for that movie. It's a story about a three day weekend, as I recall, and it felt like the movie lasted at least ten. I remember watching and watching and watching and watching and watching and watching....and then the FIRST DAY ended, and I was like "OH MY GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry bout that, I watched my two favorite actors fall madly in love with one another and then got destroyed at the end of it... no Hollywood ending to be sure.

In58men 01-16-2014 10:39 PM

Sadly, here it goes:

All The Godfathers

Porky's

Sixteen Candles

Full Metal Jacket

Scarface (bits and pieces only)

Matrix

Mission Impossible

Kill Bills

KcMizzou 01-16-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10373313)

How do you feel about "Out of Africa"?

Nzoner 01-17-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10373111)
As far as black and white classics, I like On the Waterfront the best.

Great choice.

Another B&W I love is Whatever Happened To Baby Jane,she was one sick bitch...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3qFYjkFCxiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MahiMike 01-23-2014 08:23 AM

Just saw crouching tiger last night. Really cool.

BucEyedPea 01-23-2014 07:37 PM

Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Mr. Rogers Goes to Washington
All John Wayne movies

Only recently saw To Kill a Mockingbird and Breakfast at Tiffany's (circa earlier 2000s)

whoman69 01-23-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10367087)
Debbie Does Dallas

Much better than Deep Throat

whoman69 01-23-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10374515)
Sadly, here it goes:

All The Godfathers

Porky's

Sixteen Candles

Full Metal Jacket

Scarface (bits and pieces only)

Matrix

Mission Impossible

Kill Bills

I think you need to spread your definition of classic movie a bit further, like maybe something before 1970. I don't really know of anybody that would call Mission Impossible a classic movie