ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Debate about the use of frequent emergency alerts sent to cell phones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281574)

Bugeater 02-19-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10441746)
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.

Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.

DaFace 02-19-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.

Don't tell that to DirecTV.

Phobia 02-19-2014 03:48 PM

I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.

Just Passin' By 02-19-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.

And that's a fact.

Rain Man 02-19-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10441750)
Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.

Actually, that's just a can of beer.

patteeu 02-19-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10441763)
I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.

Same here. The first one startled me because it was loud and it was an alert sound I don't normally use, but it was really no big deal.

srvy 02-19-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10441788)
You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.

And that's a fact.

I stand corrected as reading the FCC reports cellular wireless providers have the option to opt in the emergency alerts, and at what level is entirely up to them.

As for OTA TV, Digital cable TV, Digital satellite TV and wireless 2 way communication its mandatory by the FCC.

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. As for the fellow who got bombarded with alerts maybe look for a carrier that doesn't opt in as aggressively.

ThaVirus 02-19-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10441612)
The child was abducted near 5 pm alerts were out around 7 PM for all anyone knew that creep could have been on his way to kc or anywhere. Anyone traveling may have seen the alert and seen someone that matched the description and alerted the highway patrol.

Yeah, the only time I've ever received an amber alert to my phone a child was abducted in Miami. I'm in Orlando, which is about 4 hours away, but if I were driving on I-95 or the turnpike I would have been on the lookout for the vehicle.

tk13 02-19-2014 06:56 PM

I think generally speaking the people who disable these things aren't going to really be concerned or on the lookout anyway, so the situation kind of sorts itself out.

Iowanian 02-19-2014 07:01 PM

I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.

Bugeater 02-19-2014 07:03 PM

I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.

patteeu 02-19-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 10442047)
I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.

It could make sense in some cases if the authorities have reason to think the suspect might head toward your area and if he's had time to get there. But in general, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to shotgun these alerts out over such a wide area without a reason like that if Amber Alert overload is a concern.

Buzz 02-19-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10442052)
I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.

That was being discussed on the radio during the drive home

Bugeater 02-19-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 10442412)
That was being discussed on the radio during the drive home

And???

Demonpenz 02-19-2014 09:46 PM

sorry for your loss mtg.