ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Engineers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282416)

Frosty 03-20-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10504516)
Old joke my Chief of Surveys used to tell the Engineers.

You know the difference between a Land Surveyor and a Engineer?

A land surveyor has the shit on the outside his boots.

The engineer on the inside!

They all seemed to laugh this.

You know why the engineers were laughing?

They don't have to wade around in shit all day.

:)

Chief_For_Life58 03-20-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote (Post 10504588)
Concur with the rep piece, as it is rigorous. Somewhat timely article citing my buddy (another non-engineer that manages engineers) here on the state of some projects that I used to be involved with:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nic-with-long/
Though the math is wrong as noted in the comments. Kind of bugs me as a guy with a physics degree while my quoted buddy’s undergrad was math….

interesting stuff. how were you involved in those projects?

srvy 03-20-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10504742)
You know why the engineers were laughing?

They don't have to wade around in shit all day.

:)

Could be :D

I do know when the weather is perfect they sure like to come out and wade around in the shit with us.

Frosty 03-20-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10504775)
Could be :D

I do know when the weather is perfect they sure like to come out and wade around in the shit with us.

It's nice to get out of the office some days. However, it seems like every time I've done field work, it's in some shit hole like Dalhart, TX, where it blows red dirt sideways at 50 mph all day. :rolleyes:

Coyote 03-21-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10504760)
interesting stuff. how were you involved in those projects?

Just part of what I used to do ten years ago.

epitome1170 03-21-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10504550)
I remember when I sat for my Missouri Professional Land Surveyor National and State exam in Jeff City. The Engineering students take there test the same time. We would watch them pile the books on wheelie carts stacked high.

Me and my Buddy looked at each other and said" We dont have enough books."

Now you can take this for what it is worth as ive never taken the PE test. But many PE's at the office have sat for the 2 day Land Surveyors License and reported it was the biggest bear of them all. Several did not pass the first time and took a few times till they were licensed. Some said F that and never tried again.

For what it is worth, these are the passing rates for the respective disciplines:

Exam First-time takers (%) Repeat takers (%)
Agricultural 69 50
Architectural (April 2013) 74 43
Chemical 67 40
Civil 64 29
Control Systems 76 53
Electrical and Computer 63 28
Environmental 63 35
Fire Protection 69 37
Industrial (April 2013) 72 50
Mechanical 72 41
Metallurgical and Materials 62 0
Mining and Mineral Processing 71 37
Naval and Marine Engineering 58 46
Nuclear 54 44
Petroleum 75 53
Software (April 2013) 50 N/A
Structural Vertical Component 50 34
Structural Lateral Component 38 43
** Structural must pass both components to be a licensed structural engineer **
PS (Land Surveyor) 76 41

It does make me wonder if some tests are harder or if there are just "weaker" individuals in certain disciplines. My opinion - the tests are fairly equivalent and that if you do the material every day in your professional practice that you should be able to pass the exams with relative ease.

DaKCMan AP 03-21-2014 07:29 AM

B.S.E.E., M.S.E.E., MBA.

Simply Red 03-21-2014 07:32 AM

I'm an Engineer.

Engineering that pussy.

Trivers 03-21-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 10505898)
B.S.E.E., M.S.E.E., MBA.

Must be nice to be smart.

E.E. always threw me for a loop.

My physucks lab partner was a E.E. and he did all the electrical stuff and I did the mechanical stuff.

Simply Red 03-21-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10505910)
Must be nice to be smart.

E.E. always threw me for a loop.

My physucks lab partner was a E.E. and he did all the electrical stuff and I did the mechanical stuff.

engineer that pussy.

Chief_For_Life58 03-21-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 10505898)
B.S.E.E., M.S.E.E., MBA.

nice.

all from UF?

What do you do?

Chief_For_Life58 03-21-2014 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
falkirk wheel in Scotland. so badass

http://youtu.be/ucg1O-5jsnM

DaKCMan AP 03-21-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10506024)
nice.

all from UF?

What do you do?

Yes, all from Florida. I work in the aerospace industry.

Kaepernick 03-21-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10504107)
Strongly disagree.

Being a PE is a good thing...especially if you are in the consulting industry.

However....

Being a PE does not automatically make you a good engineer.

I know numerous PEs that I would not trust a high value project.

When working for McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, Martin Marietta, I knew many engineers who had forgotten more about aerospace engineering that I would ever know....and didn't have the PE.

A PE (Professional Engineering license) means you can pass a test. It doesn't mean a lot.

Unless you mean "Project Engineer", which is another whole animal and again has nothing in itself to do with the ability of the man to perform quality work.

I am a Civil Engineer in transportation, work for the State of California Department of Highways and have been a Bridge Engineer also. Flunked out of Chemical Engineering and landed in Civil. Hey, at least jobs are plentiful and relatively easy to obtain. I worship MEs and think the world of them. You can't go about your day without seeing something crucial to the execution of modern life that wasn't designed by an ME. Anymore that probably applies to EEs but I am just humbled by what ME's produce.

Engineering has to be one of the best career fields out there. Engineers have incredibly low rates of production. Beyond the pay and being treated with respect, all things aside, you have a lot of creative control. You should never be bored as an Engineer. There is always another area of engineering in your field to keep things fresh or you can always change companies or even cities. Job fulfillment is generally way up there.

Just a great career for anybody that can swing it. it is sad to see so many high school kids give up on math who otherwise might have had the potential to get into engineering for a career. Just a crying shame. It is really a great career field. You almost can't go wrong.

If I wasn't an engineer, I have no clue what I would be doing.

Chief_For_Life58 03-21-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 10507657)
Engineering has to be one of the best career fields out there. Engineers have incredibly low rates of production. Beyond the pay and being treated with respect, all things aside, you have a lot of creative control. You should never be bored as an Engineer. There is always another area of engineering in your field to keep things fresh or you can always change companies or even cities. Job fulfillment is generally way up there.

Just a great career for anybody that can swing it. it is sad to see so many high school kids give up on math who otherwise might have had the potential to get into engineering for a career. Just a crying shame. It is really a great career field. You almost can't go wrong.

If I wasn't an engineer, I have no clue what I would be doing.

yep yep and yep