ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life -- Discuss places who offer a nice Country Fried Steak dinner w/ gravy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289625)

Simply Red 01-01-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 11233669)
Like what? Chicken & Country are interchangeable terms. I've seen it served with brown gravy before but either name is still used.

Yeah that's inaccurate - The Chicken Fried Steak isn't indicating anything about chicken - aside from the fact that the steak is dredged and fried the same way someone would fry chicken - that's all that means when they say "Chicken Fried Steak."

Stewie 01-01-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 11233669)
Like what? Chicken & Country are interchangeable terms. I've seen it served with brown gravy before but either name is still used.

It depends who you ask. They have become interchangeable, but country doesn't use eggs in the dredge and is never served with white gravy unless stated. There are also country recipes that just use a seasoned flour and no liquid dredge.

We got into this conversation at eggtc. when a friend ordered country fried steak thinking it was chicken. It wasn't as expected (mushroom gravy for starters) and we asked the manager and she explained. No big deal, but there are differences. If you order chicken you know what you're getting, if they offer country it might not be what you expect.

Randallflagg 01-01-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11233678)
It depends who you ask. They have become interchangeable, but country doesn't use eggs in the dredge and is never served with white gravy unless stated. There are also country recipes that just use a seasoned flour and no liquid dredge.

We got into this conversation at eggtc. when a friend ordered country fried steak thinking it was chicken. It wasn't as expected (mushroom gravy for starters) and we asked the manager and she explained. No big deal, but there are differences. If you order chicken you know what you're getting, if they offer country it might not be what you expect.

I don't know, but I watched my Grandmother dredge with eggs every summer from my 5th birthday until she passed about 14 years later. I HAVE seen country fried (chicken OR steak) with mushroom gravy (I like it, too!)

When I (or my Wife) make it now - we use "Kentucky seasoning Flour" for seasoning - it's found in most grocery stores and man, it takes me back to the country...... :)

My God...Pork Chops fried in that stuff is what a little slice of heaven must be like....

ChiliConCarnage 01-01-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11233678)
If you order chicken you know what you're getting, if they offer country it might not be what you expect.

Interdasting. I just checked the online menu at a place that serves with the brown gravy Lunch: Country Fried Black Angus Steak
I guess it's a real thing; I've learned something today.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20081023004830

Stewie 01-01-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 11233686)
I don't know, but I watched my Grandmother dredge with eggs every summer from my 5th birthday until she passed about 14 years later. I HAVE seen country fried (chicken OR steak) with mushroom gravy (I like it, too!)

When I (or my Wife) make it now - we use "Kentucky seasoning Flour" for seasoning - it's found in most grocery stores and man, it takes me back to the country...... :)

My God...Pork Chops fried in that stuff is what a little slice of heaven must be like....

It's all good. I wouldn't turn down either option if offered.

I think chicken fried steak has a common theme. Country fried steak on the other hand is open to interpretation.

TimBone 01-01-2015 11:45 AM

True Story: the first year my wife and I were married, I was sitting in the living room one early afternoon playing video games when she walked in and asked what I wanted for dinner. I said, "You know how to make Chicken Fried Steak?" She said, "I should be able to make that pretty easily."

She walks back towards the kitchen and I hear a lot of rustling around in the freezer. After about 45 seconds of that rustling around, she yells from the kitchen, "We don't have any chicken."

Smh. Freaking Asian girls from California.

J Diddy 01-01-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11233718)
True Story: the first year my wife and I were married, I was sitting in the living room one early afternoon playing video games when she walked in and asked what I wanted for dinner. I said, "You know how to make Chicken Fried Steak?" She said, "I should be able to make that pretty easily."

She walks back towards the kitchen and I hear a lot of rustling around in the freezer. After about 45 seconds of that rustling around, she yells from the kitchen, "We don't have any chicken."

Smh. Freaking Asian girls from California.

Asian? Bet she had duck.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-01-2015 11:50 AM

Sandersons, before it closed. God I loved that greasy spoon.

Simply Red 01-01-2015 12:02 PM

that would be Chicken Fried Chicken. Don't ever argue with me regarding food, clothes or betting, or It may hinder our E relationship.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-01-2015 12:09 PM

I thought chicken fried was white gravy and country fried Brown mushroom gravy. Interesting.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-01-2015 12:10 PM

I've got a big, thick, porterhouse steak. I'm going to chicken fry it in FMB'S honor. ROFL

Simply Red 01-01-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der Flöprer (Post 11233767)
I thought chicken fried was white gravy and country fried Brown mushroom gravy. Interesting.

"chicken fried" = fried as (the same way) chicken would be fried.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-01-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11233776)
"chicken fried" = fried as (the same way) chicken would be fried.

I really thought they both were. I just thought the difference was the topping. Learn something new every day!

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-01-2015 12:15 PM

Chicken fried steak is breaded heavily and served with white soppy.

And mashed potatoes and green beans.

And that's the END of that story.

Hammock Parties 01-01-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11233792)
Chicken fried steak is breaded heavily and served with white soppy.

And mashed potatoes and green beans.

And that's the END of that story.

Fried okra. **** your green beans.