ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I am moving to the suburbs. What do I need to know? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299304)

TimBone 04-12-2016 12:01 PM

Do most suburbs have HOAs? I've never lived in a suburb or city.

HOAs sound terrible though.

gblowfish 04-12-2016 12:09 PM

I am an old suburban guy. I will answer your questions with great dispatch:
1) Q: How do I make my grass look good? A: Pay someone like Ryan's Lawn Care.
2) Q: What do I need to do to my wardrobe so that I fit in with all of the other dads? A: Dockers, Nikes, Old Navy.
3) Q: What is the best lawnmower? A: Push: Toro, Riding: John Deere
4) Q: What's the best brand of pool table? A: Go to Armini's and test them.
5) Q: What do I do when I've had too much to drink and can't drive home?
A: **** whoever's neighbor's wife you got faced with, make sure her husband's not coming back before you can wake up and sneak out of there.
6) Q: What time do I need to stop being loud on my deck and go to bed?
A: In Suburbia, a man is measured by the size of his deck. Off the deck by 10 weeknights, 11 weekends, bed by 11 on weeknight, 1am weekends.
7) Q: Where can I get a legit beard trim and haircut by a real barber? A: In the city. Go to a black barbershop on Troost or Prospect. They kick ass.
8) Q: Where is the best place to get a latte? A: Real men don't drink lattes. Homo. Drink it hot and black and get it from Quik Trip or a Gas Station.
9) Q: How do I handle my road rage during a long commute? A: Don't **** with people on I-435 or I-35. Good way to get shot to death. Go home, grudge **** the wife.

You're welcome.

mr. tegu 04-12-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12174570)
Do most suburbs have HOAs? I've never lived in a suburb or city.

HOAs sound terrible though.

I feel like most on the Kansas side do. Ours is very minimal in cost and actually includes trash and recycling pickup. We don't have a pool in our neighborhood though.

Toby Waller 04-12-2016 12:14 PM

Don't give out cheap Halloween candy

Bowser 04-12-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12174432)
Wow, gotta say that as minivans go, thats a Ferrari... nice work by Chrysler

If thats their new design its gonna sell like crazy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mohoyRj_VpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimBone 04-12-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12174578)
I feel like most on the Kansas side do. Ours is very minimal in cost and actually includes trash and recycling pickup. We don't have a pool in our neighborhood though.

I've always thought my taxes covered trash pickup. I've never paid anyone else, and it's picked up every Thursday.

I've never heard anyone say good things about an HOA. Every time I hear about them it's because someone is complaining about their rules.

I just don't know if I could live under one.

Donger 04-12-2016 12:46 PM

HOAs keep out the riff-raff.

DaneMcCloud 04-12-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12174628)
I've always thought my taxes covered trash pickup. I've never paid anyone else, and it's picked up every Thursday.

I don't know where you live but my trash services are billed every two months through the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP).

I've never heard of a city that bills trash collection through taxes.

TimBone 04-12-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12174635)
I don't know where you live but my trash services are billed every two months through the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP).

I've never heard of a city that bills trash collection through taxes.

Small town Louisiana, bud. We pay two separate companies for water and power. I guess it's possible that it's part of our power bill.

DaneMcCloud 04-12-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12174632)
HOAs keep out the riff-raff.

LMAO

mr. tegu 04-12-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12174628)

I've never heard anyone say good things about an HOA. Every time I hear about them it's because someone is complaining about their rules.

I just don't know if I could live under one.

Trash through taxes? Sounds odd. It may be lumped into something else you pay?

HOAs serve a good purpose but I have never heard anyone around here complaining about a tyrannical one in this area. I don't know that we have any rules that aren't sensible like no couches or cars in your yard.

DaneMcCloud 04-12-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12174642)
Small town Louisiana, bud. We pay two separate companies for water and power. I guess it's possible that it's part of our power bill.

I wouldn't pretend to know anything about your municipality but waste management through a city tax is probably unique.

Iowanian 04-12-2016 01:05 PM

I've always liked Donger as a poster and figured he's a solid person.

That said, I think if he wore a go pro and followed me around for a weekend, the video would probably look like one of those Sling-Shot cams where the auntie screams for 2 minutes, throws up a little and passes out only to wake up screaming again.

Relax fella..it's ok.

gblowfish 04-12-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12174646)
Trash through taxes? Sounds odd. It may be lumped into something else you pay?

HOAs serve a good purpose but I have never heard anyone around here complaining about a tyrannical one in this area. I don't know that we have any rules that aren't sensible like no couches or cars in your yard.

In the city of Kansas City, since you pay earnings tax (1% of your income to KCMO) the only real perk you get for that is free city trash pickup.

underEJ 04-12-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12174728)
In the city of Kansas City, since you pay earnings tax (1% of your income to KCMO) the only real perk you get for that is free city trash pickup.

It also helps with dumping problems other cities have where people who don't pay for their trash pickup drive around and dump in other peoples cans. Theoretically it shouldn't matter to me if someone uses my extra space, but I do a great job of recycling and not creating trash. I get really pissed when I put out my can once a month with very little in it, and some asshole fills it to overflowing.

My trash also doesn't stink because of my recycling and composting, but my can stinks like anyone else's because of those dumping assholes who fill it with gross food waste and diapers. People are so disgusting.