ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Reid interested in Alex Smith... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269575)

007 02-05-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9379416)
How are they playing it close to the vest? The draft is nearly three months away, I doubt they've decided on their pick. FA will play a big roll for every team in how the draft will pan out, and that's in March, so we've got some time.

I don't mean they need to say anything now. Its just the way they are saying things when they say them. It's like they are trying to keep some secret and keep all the other teams guessing or something.

Messier 02-05-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9379419)
I don't mean they need to say anything now. Its just the way they are saying things when they say them. It's like they are trying to keep some secret and keep all the other teams guessing or something.

Okay. Don't think they're keeping a secret, I mean the pick is probably down to three or four player and we know who they are. No team ever goes, here's who we're looking at, and who we like and don't like. It's more for the players themselves.

BossChief 02-05-2013 08:23 AM

John Clayton is on ESPN radio talking about Alex Smith and he said the two teams really interested in him are the Jets and Cleveland.

Said they won't release him because then he might go to the Cardinals.

Also said Mike Vick will be released in the next couple days.

oldandslow 02-05-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9379459)
John Clayton is on ESPN radio talking about Alex Smith and he said the two teams really interested in him are the Jets and Cleveland.

This post makes me happy lol.

BossChief 02-05-2013 08:25 AM

He also said that Jacksonville is interested and he named one more team...didn't mention KC at all.

htismaqe 02-05-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9379409)
Which is why it is so funny that the Chiefs want to play this close to the vest. For what purpose? You have the FIRST PICK IN THE DRAFT for crying out loud.

Teams don't announce who they're going to draft BEFORE THE COMBINE.

I realize it seems like time is standing still but it's the first week of February. They're not playing it close to the vest at all. They're working on getting Branden Albert signed.

htismaqe 02-05-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9379462)
He also said that Jacksonville is interested and he named one more team...didn't mention KC at all.

Thanks for the awesome news!

the Talking Can 02-05-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...mowao1_400.gif

spanky 52 02-05-2013 08:58 AM

Pick up Vick in FA, draft Smith, cut Cassel, Quinn and things are looking up. This ain't rocket science.

Rausch 02-05-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9379519)

Up top!

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/59272_o.gif

Rasputin 02-05-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

On NFLnet this morning they mentioned Alex Smith could go to Cleveland and then one guy I forget his name, I shall call him douchebagpillowbitergotbreath started pining Alex Smith to the Chiefs. I started cussing **** you and flipping off NFLnetwork uncontlrollably.

BigBeauford 02-05-2013 09:11 AM

Mike Golic said he could go to the Chiefs this morning, but he is an idiot. Greenberg linked him to Jets and Browns.

Rausch 02-05-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9379544)
On NFLnet this morning they mentioned Alex Smith could go to Cleveland and then one guy I forget his name, I shall call him douchebagpillowbitergotbreath started pining Alex Smith to the Chiefs. I started cussing **** you and flipping off NFLnetwork uncontlrollably.

I was putting in the laundry a minute ago when that came on.

I wanted to pour the detergent in my ear and clean it out of my brain...

RealSNR 02-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanky 52 (Post 9379523)
Pick up Vick in FA, draft Smith, cut Cassel, Quinn and things are looking up. This ain't rocket science.

Quinn only signed a one year deal last year. We wouldn't cut him because he needs to have a contract to be cut.

Dave Lane 02-05-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Which is why it is so funny that the Chiefs want to play this close to the vest. For what purpose? You have the FIRST PICK IN THE DRAFT for crying out loud.

If they want to trade the pick I think they might get better value if the person trading isn't sure if they are going to take their guy or not.

Sassy Squatch 02-05-2013 10:00 AM

Clayton has been spot on about the Chiefs this offseason.

Carlota69 02-05-2013 10:15 AM

I understand the Jets rumors, and quite frankly The Chief rumors as well, but The Browns? Didnt they just draft a QB?

The Franchise 02-05-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9379679)
I understand the Jets rumors, and quite frankly The Chief rumors as well, but The Browns? Didnt they just draft a QB?

1. Norv Turner used to be his OC.
2. The GM isn't a fan of Weeden and still thinks that Colt McCoy is a good QB.

I could totally see him going to the Browns. He'd be a stop gap for a couple of years while they get a chance to build up that offense.

Messier 02-05-2013 10:32 AM

I don't think Smith is coming here because there are going to be three or so teams bidding for him, and I don't think Reid is looking to give up picks for a QB.

That said, don't know why it's great news. I don't think it means the Chiefs are any more likely to draft a QB at 1.

Carlota69 02-05-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379701)

I could totally see him going to the Browns. He'd be a stop gap for a couple of years while they get a chance to build up that offense.

Gotcha.

RealSNR 02-05-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379701)

The Browns need to give him something to throw to. Alex struggled for awhile in San Fran because all he had was a freakin' TE.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9379716)
I don't think Smith is coming here because there are going to be three or so teams bidding for him, and I don't think Reid is looking to give up picks for a QB.

That said, don't know why it's great news. I don't think it means the Chiefs are any more likely to draft a QB at 1.

I don't think that it's about giving up picks. I think Reid and Dorsey want a QB of their own. One that they drafted and they can build a team around. Having the first overall pick is a golden opportunity.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9379740)
The Browns need to give him something to throw to. Alex struggled for awhile in San Fran because all he had was a freakin' TE.

The Browns offense isn't that bad really. All they need is a TE and a capable #2 WR. I think Josh Gordon can be a damn good #1 in this league. Richardson is a 3 down back and their offensive line is good enough for right now.

Messier 02-05-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379742)
I don't think that it's about giving up picks. I think Reid and Dorsey want a QB of their own. One that they drafted and they can build a team around. Having the first overall pick is a golden opportunity.

Reid has always had is own guy, save Vick, but even that was a reclamation project, and in a way Reid was able to remake Vick like a new QB. Sure he wants to do it again. I wonder though if Reid feels that strongly about Smith or any QB in the draft. They're gonna sign a QB and draft a QB, and most here want the QB signed to be nothing more than a back up, so a rookie can start from day one, but Reid said, we'll find our QB, it may not be this year, but we'll find our QB. It sounds like they might not go all in with this rookie class of QBs. I'll say this, I think a QB taken and groomed by Reid has as much of a shot as any to pan out in the NFL.

RealSNR 02-05-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379749)
The Browns offense isn't that bad really. All they need is a TE and a capable #2 WR. I think Josh Gordon can be a damn good #1 in this league. Richardson is a 3 down back and their offensive line is good enough for right now.

I'm comparing Josh Gordon to Steve Johnson as somebody who was a mid-round pick and came into his own in the middle of the season to become a fairly good WR1 for his team.

I just don't picture Gordon as someone as good as even Steve Johnson. Maybe Greg Little can be the guy as long as they draft/sign another starter.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9379826)
I'm comparing Josh Gordon to Steve Johnson as somebody who was a mid-round pick and came into his own in the middle of the season to become a fairly good WR1 for his team.

I just don't picture Gordon as someone as good as even Steve Johnson. Maybe Greg Little can be the guy as long as they draft/sign another starter.

Maybe they go out and get a guy like Greg Jennings. Trade for Alex Smith and the Browns are at least competitive. They have to do something in that tough ass division.

Deberg_1990 02-05-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379873)
Maybe they go out and get a guy like Greg Jennings. Trade for Alex Smith and the Browns are at least competitive. They have to do something in that tough ass division.

yea, I feel for Browns fans.....4 games against two of the best run organizations in football. and the Bengals are fairly well organized the past few years. Tough.

Sorter 02-05-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9379894)
yea, I feel for Browns fans.....4 games against two of the best run organizations in football. and the Bengals are fairly well organized the past few years. Tough.

That division is ****ing ruthless.

NJChiefsFan 02-05-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9379716)

Good point about the bidding. Even if the Chiefs are taking a look, a race of 4 or 5 teams should drop the risk of us getting him even more.

As for the second part, I don't know that I agree. I think the Chiefs are more likely to take a QB at 1.1 if their current roster QB is Matt Cassel. The chances are a lot higher than if they have Alex Smith on their team. Not getting one in FA means they have the intention of getting their starter in the draft, and I can't see Reid and Dorsey risking the start of their reign by playing chicken and risking missing out on the QB they want.

Chief Faithful 02-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9380537)
Good point about the bidding. Even if the Chiefs are taking a look, a race of 4 or 5 teams should drop the risk of us getting him even more.

As for the second part, I don't know that I agree. I think the Chiefs are more likely to take a QB at 1.1 if their current roster QB is Matt Cassel. The chances are a lot higher than if they have Alex Smith on their team. Not getting one in FA means they have the intention of getting their starter in the draft, and I can't see Reid and Dorsey risking the start of their reign by playing chicken and risking missing out on the QB they want.

Why do I want Alex Smith? Getting Alex Smith means less chance of Matt Cassel.

NJChiefsFan 02-05-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 9380591)
Why do I want Alex Smith? Getting Alex Smith means less chance of Matt Cassel.

The goal shouldn't be finding a guy to push out Cassel, it should be to find somebody who can do the job.

Messier 02-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9380537)

Right, and I agree that if you don't go QB in the first you may end up with no one. I don't think the Chiefs will take a QB, just to take one. They'd need to love that QB, and I wonder if there's anyone they love.

Chief Faithful 02-05-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9380602)
The goal shouldn't be finding a guy to push out Cassel, it should be to find somebody who can do the job.

Tell me who that guy is and I say that is the guy I want. The only thing I know for sure is Cassel is not the guy. Can Smith be the guy? I don't know, but I know Smith might be and I know Cassel is not.

-King- 02-05-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 9380701)
Tell me who that guy is and I say that is the guy I want. The only thing I know for sure is Cassel is not the guy. Can Smith be the guy? I don't know, but I know Smith might be and I know Cassel is not.

They have almost identical stats despite Cassel starting 13 less games. They're both ass.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-05-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9379894)

Well they need to step up and actually compete then. Pitt and Balt are getting old. I feel no sorrow whatsoever for that piss poor organization. Boo-Hoo.

Messier 02-05-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9380707)
They have almost identical stats despite Cassel starting 13 less games. They're both ass.

They aren't the same player. I use to think so, but Smith has turned his game around. I know that means nothing to those that don't want him, but Cassel and Smith are night and day.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380719)
They aren't the same player. I use to think so, but Smith has turned his game around. I know that means nothing to those that don't want him, but Cassel and Smith are night and day.

No they're not. If Cassel is high noon.....then Smith is pretty much 4:30 PM.

fairladyZ 02-05-2013 05:29 PM

Alex Smith: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
1,290 2,177 59.3 14,280 6.6 81 63

Matt Cassel: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
1,203 2,044 58.9 13,495 6.6 82 57

Career Numbers in the exact same amount of years they've played except cassel only attempted 18 passes for 215 yards in his 1st 2 years in the league. Alex Smith didn't play 2008. Not only does cassel have better #'s but in 1 less year.

Matt Cassel = 1 Pro Bowl
Alex Smith = 0 Pro Bowls

Matt Cassel's OC's:
2005 third string = McDaniels
2006 on bench = McDaniels
2007 on bench = McDaniels
2008 starting 15 games = McDaniels
2009 in KC = Haley
2010 = Weiss
2011 = Muir
2012 = Daboll
Total = 5 OC's in 5 years being a starter

Alex Smith's OC's:
2005 playing 9 games = Mike McCarthy
2006 staring = Norv Turner
2007 starting = Jim Hostler
2008 benched = Mike Martz
2009 starting = Jimmy Raye
2010 starting = jimmy raye, replaced by mike johnson 1/3 thru season
2011 starting = greg roman
2012 starting = greg roman
Total = 6 OC's (you could say 7 although i'm sure mike johnson kept everything intact) in 7 years of starting.

Now lets look at this a bit deeper. Matt Cassel had 2 OC's that were known to be QB guru's, McDaniel's and Weiss. And under thos OC's he had 2 extrememly good years, 1 sent him to the probowl the other got him several accolades including

2× AFC Offensive Player of the Week (2008)
Back to back 400-yard games (2008)
USA Today All-Joe team (2008)

Now Alex smith had 3 OC's that are known to be QB guru's. Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, And you could even say his new HC Haurbaugh is a QB guru aswell. And smith had 1.5 good seasons before being yanked and replaced. No ProBowls and

FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week (week 5, 2012)
NFC Offensive Player of the Week (week 8, 2012)

Who's better as apposed to worth?
alex smith due 8.5 millon in 2013
matt cassel due 7.5 millon in 2013

Matt Cassel in 2010 > Alex Smith in 2011/12 with a good OC and putting the right system around him.

Lets compare their quote unquote probowl years shall we?

matt cassel's 2010 season :
Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....
2010- 15- 450- 262 -3,116 -27 - 7 - 93.0

Alex Smith's 2011 season :
Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....
2011-16- 445- 273- 61.3- 3144- 17- 5- 90.7
2012-10- 218- 153- 70.2- 1737- 13- 5- 104.1

Was Smith having a better year in 2012? Yes, was it going to be anything more than game manager? No

What was the 49ers strength of schedule for the 2011 season? .449
what was the chiefs strength of schedule for the 2010 season? .414

People want the IT factor of a guy that can throw his team on his back and lead them to victory against the tough teams in this league, people ***** about cassel all the time that he can't do this and we can't take peoples backups that don't have the IT factor and can't do that.. Guess what Alex smith is the same guy people ***** they don't want.
There is a reason he was benched. He is a game manager that has to have the right system around him, and a strong run game, just like cassel. He was benched for Kaep cause Kaep is a game changing gun slinger that can either run you to victory or throw you to victory. Neither of which alex can do. and he's proved it.

Oh and for those that say Smith is a better scrambler.

Cassel's carreer #:
Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
168 612 3.6 3

Smith's carreer #:
Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
212 761 3.58 4

bigjosh 02-05-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380719)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps7d6b6d6c.jpg

Messier 02-05-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh006 (Post 9380733)

Are you? Smith is about to have four or five teams looking to bid on him in a trade. Cassel will be lucky if the Pats want him back as a back up.

WV 02-05-2013 05:51 PM

They were talking about Alex Smith on NFL radio today and how the two best landing spots for him were KC and ARI.....I wanted to punch my radio through the truck.

**** Alex Cassel Smith and the pathetic little polished turd wagon he came in on.

Messier 02-05-2013 05:52 PM

Watch some 49ers games from this season before Smith got hurt, tell me if Cassel ever, even in 2010, played like that.

Tribal Warfare 02-05-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380795)
Watch some 49ers games from this season before Smith got hurt, tell me if Cassel ever, even in 2010, played like that.

Cassel's NE Patriot stint, next please

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:55 PM

I think alex smith went from one of the worst qbs in the nfl to one of the best

Pasta Little Brioni 02-05-2013 05:57 PM

Raiders will deal a 1st and 2nd for him after they cut Palmer.

WV 02-05-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380795)

Talk to some 49'er fans, they see him just like we see Cassel....why?? Because they are the same ****ing POS "QB".

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9380809)
Raiders will deal a 1st and 2nd for him after they cut Palmer.

Don't be bitter...

Tribal Warfare 02-05-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380804)

subliminal trolling

WV 02-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380804)

Then feel free to take him in Oak, hell he wouldn't even have to move. Perfect!

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9380814)
subliminal trolling

Not really, I just knew he was going to be a bust but after Harbaugh got there that kid turned it around.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9380815)
Then feel free to take him in Oak, hell he wouldn't even have to move. Perfect!

QB is not on our Radar this year

Tribal Warfare 02-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380816)
Not really, I just knew he was going to be a bust but after Harbaugh got their that kid turned it around.

righhht

WV 02-05-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380819)
QB is not on our Radar this year

Well you better hope Palmer is ready to play for less money then.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9380826)
Well you better hope Palmer is ready to play for less money then.

He will or it will be Pryor

WV 02-05-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380830)
He will or it will be Pryor

LOL! No way they go into the season with Pryor as the starter. Unless of course you're playing for the #1 pick next year.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9380839)
LOL! No way they go into the season with Pryor as the starter. Unless of course you're playing for the #1 pick next year.

Pryor will be better than Geno

Messier 02-05-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9380811)
Talk to some 49'er fans, they see him just like we see Cassel....why?? Because they are the same ****ing POS "QB".

Smith won them a playoff game last year, and don't say the 49er defense did, no, Smith won that game. Cassel was not, could not do the same.

I'm not even a Smith fan, I just think it's silly to compare him to a QB that about find it hard to stick on an NFL team.

Cephalic Trauma 02-05-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9380811)

This X 1000. He was the beneficiary of having the best QB mind in the game coaching him.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 06:10 PM

Bring a good QB coach in for Cassel

WV 02-05-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380843)

:bong:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380846)
Smith won them a playoff game last year, and don't say the 49er defense did, no, Smith won that game. Cassel was not, could not do the same.

I'm not even a Smith fan, I just think it's silly to compare him to a QB that about find it hard to stick on an NFL team.

Alex Smith will be exposed just like Cassel, Kolb, and to a lesser extent Matt Flynn. I just hope we aren't the team that shows it.

Brock 02-05-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Pryor is garbage like the rest of your qbs.

Cephalic Trauma 02-05-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380850)
Bring a good QB coach in for Cassel

Trolling hard tonight, I see.

bigjosh 02-05-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9380786)
Are you? Smith is about to have four or five teams looking to bid on him in a trade. Cassel will be lucky if the Pats want him back as a back up.

here, i highlighted the games alex smith played against shitty defenses this year
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps4a4098c9.png

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-05-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Bellichick would have won a playoff game with Matty Nice, if ge got the chance.

Cephalic Trauma 02-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Did you happen to watch the NFCCG game? How many WR had receptions in that game with Alex at the helm?

He played well against NO, then **** a brick against the Giants.

Do not want.

Mother****erJones 02-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Best joke Ive heard all day

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-05-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9380860)
Did you happen to watch the NFCCG game? How many WR had receptions in that game with Alex at the helm?

He played well against NO, then **** a brick against the Giants.

Do not want.

No one would put up a bounty price on Alex.

bigjosh 02-05-2013 06:25 PM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psc53f39ea.jpg

Cephalic Trauma 02-05-2013 06:35 PM

Alex Smith's NFCCG=Cassel's Wild Card game

Sorter 02-05-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9380897)
Alex Smith's NFCCG=Cassel's Wild Card game

No, Smith still made some solid throws.

Cassel was/is historically awful. Smith isn't great but he isn't historically bad.

Brock 02-05-2013 06:41 PM

Lol just typed in alex s in google. Do you mean alex smith chiefs?

okcchief 02-05-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

They aren't playing it close to the vest IMO. There is no clear cut number 1 pick, and they haven't even had the combine yet. I like Geno, but it's not a slam dunk situation no matter how much you like someone.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-05-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9380910)
Lol just typed in alex s in google. Do you mean alex smith chiefs?

How bad was the photoshoped Chiefs uni?

Messier 02-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh006 (Post 9380855)
here, i highlighted the games alex smith played against shitty defenses this year
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps4a4098c9.png

The 8th, 11th, and 13th defenses are crappy?

Ming the Merciless 02-05-2013 08:17 PM

Alex smith is not much different from Mark Kastle. I'm telling you.....Ive watched him for the last 5+ years......

There isnt a point in doing all of these massive changes, only to come away with Alex smith as the #1 QB.....

It would be like deciding to finally part with your vw bug, and upgrade to a Ferrari , but at the last minute keeping the VW engine...

I haven't been on much lately, to know who is on what sides of this argument but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD:

NO ALEX SMITH

splatbass 02-05-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9379742)
I think Reid and Dorsey want a QB of their own.

Why do you think that?

The Bad Guy 02-05-2013 08:27 PM

Alex Smith is absolutely a lot different than Cassel. Smith is far more accurate and has a better arm.

However, that's it.

Mentally, he's the same. You pressure him and it's over.

Tombstone RJ 02-05-2013 08:28 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if Reid brought in Alex Smith and drafted a QB in the first 3 rounds. It's the right CYA thing to do, that is, bring in a solid vet and draft a young talent and between the two of them hopefully you have something to work with.

Sorter 02-05-2013 08:29 PM

While I don't want Alex, there is a large gap between him and Cassel. First, Smith has understanding of WCO, Coryell, and Martz (which is a hybrid) principles. Additionally, for all of the faults the Saints defense had with Williams, they were aggressive, blitz happy, and provided pressure from their nickel corners, safeties (Roman Harper). While I acknowledge that Smith played poorly, especially on 3rd down against the Giants, there is no way that A)Cassel performs as Smith did against the Saints and B)Made the few solid throws Smith made in the NFCCG.

Titty Meat 02-05-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9381192)
Alex Smith is absolutely a lot different than Cassel. Smith is far more accurate and has a better arm.

However, that's it.

Mentally, he's the same. You pressure him and it's over.

Hes also awful in the red zone.