ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs How does Dwayne Bowe rank among the elite WR's? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261499)

RealSNR 07-20-2012 01:24 PM

I know these are sarcastic remarks being posted, but I'd just like to point out that even if Clark invested in his team like a smart owner and risked "cap hell", that doesn't make him Daniel Snyder. The Chiefs would be spending their money on their own franchise players and free agents. They have a history with these players, know their strengths, and know how the fit in with the team chemistry and vision. The only difference is they're receiving more money.

Daniel Snyder goes out and spends big money on guys who probably don't even fit the team's system or vision. Sometimes they do, but that's the risk with signing outside free agents. It takes time to acclimate them to the system.

Going into "cap hell" for Bowe is very different from going into "cap hell" for Albert Haynesworth.

Micjones 07-20-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8755810)
OK, so what do you think that number is?

I'll say $90m.

Micjones 07-20-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8755824)
So, let's assume you're correct: $10 million dollar difference.

That's $2 million per season for the next five years. The Chiefs are currently $16 million under. They can afford it. And in 2014, the salary cap will increase by about $18 million per team.

With that knowledge, why wouldn't you pay Dwayne Bowe?

There's always the matter of the guarantee though.
If it were me, my final offer would be something closer to $80m.

That sound like a fair number to you?

BigChiefFan 07-20-2012 01:29 PM

Bottomline, there is absolutely no reason to not have signed Bowe long-term, besides being cheap. The Hunts are misers.

DeezNutz 07-20-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8755833)
I'll say $90m.

So that means a guaranteed amount of 36-45. So what's the problem again?

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8755728)
That's quite an assumption.
We don't know what he's asked for.
We don't know what has been offered.

Really? Seriously?

"We" don't need to "know" the numbers. The end result gives anyone and everyone a clear picture. There's no way that Dwayne Bowe was offered a competitive market value offer that included a reasonable guaranteed portion, yet he declined to sign it.

Albert for sure. Dorsey? Eh...[/quote]

You're missing the point. The Chiefs can't say "Well, we didn't pay Carr because we need to pay Bowe", then NOT pay either. They then can't come back and say "Well, we didn't pay Bowe because we needed to pay Albert & Dorsey" with a straight face.

Furthermore, WR's, even first round WR's, generally take a while to develop (if they develop, at all). Bowe's been a solid contributor since his rookie season. Why let that guy go, especially when you're sitting at $16 million under the cap?

Quote:

That's not as awful as it sounds, but I suppose it depends on how far apart the two sides are.

Of course it's awful, which is why that teams will be required to spend 99% of the salary cap in future years. And probably why Clark Hunt decided NOT to pay Bowe: More money in his pocket, which IMO, hurts the team and the fans.

Quote:

And that should inform the Chiefs FO?
The fact that someone else could potentially make a bad decision?

Bad decision? What in Dwayne Bowe's past would lead to believe that paying him market value or even slightly above would result in hurting an NFL team?

Quote:

I disagree. Quite a few people thought he'd fetch that kind of contract outside of Kansas City. That's the elephant in the room though. Sometimes a player is singularly focused on hitting the open market. Carr was. Perhaps Bowe is too?

To the first part, he was ranked as a Top Ten potential free agent but no where was it suggested he'd sign a $50 million dollar deal with $26.5 in guarantees. To the latter, that's unfounded speculation on your part.

Quote:

Hard to say with so many gaps in what we know.
I mean, given your own thoughts about what another organization might do to obtain Bowe...Is it possible that he wants out and has all along?

Again, that's speculation, so let's deal with what we DO know: Both sides negotiated but couldn't come to an agreement. The Chiefs are willing to pay him the Franchise number, but aren't willing to sign him long term at this point. Bowe has never stated that he wanted out of Kansas City - quite to the contrary. At the Nike Event, he praised Crennel and, IIRC, said he wanted to end his career in KC.

All public indications are that he doesn't want out.

Micjones 07-20-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8755856)
So that means a guaranteed amount of 36-45. So what's the problem again?

$40-$45. Thereabouts.
Would probably make him one of the three or four highest paid WR's in the NFL.
Think he belongs in that group?

Hammock Parties 07-20-2012 01:33 PM

I wouldn't really blame Clark.

Pioli is a slave to the Patriot Way, and probably told Clark he doesn't need Bowe.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8755842)
There's always the matter of the guarantee though.
If it were me, my final offer would be something closer to $80m.

That sound like a fair number to you?

My perceptions of a fair number is irrelevant. That's up to Dwayne Bowe and the Chiefs organization.

After witnessing the salary cap in action over the past 20 years, I'm of the belief that it's irrelevant and a "phantom" cap, as we've seen teams like the Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, et all, spend enormous amounts of money without being penalized from a financial standpoint or a league standpoint (save from the bogus "Gentleman's agreement" in 2010, which stopped neither team from enormous amounts of spending this off season).

DeezNutz 07-20-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8755871)
$40-$45. Thereabouts.

Given his overall body of work and relative worth to the Chiefs? Absolutely.

It's beyond funny for me to read that fans would pay 35 but wouldn't go 40, as if this has any bearing whatsoever for what the organization would be able to do going forward.

Now it's probably time for one of Clark's financial analysts to ask something like, "So you're willing to give Bowe $88M guaranteed?"

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8755871)
$40-$45. Thereabouts.

Regardless of the value of the contract, I'm absolutely certain that as a free agent, he'd be paid in the Top Five of all WR's. Again, considering the 2014 salary cap, he wouldn't stay in the Top Five for long, but he'd sit there for a while.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8755873)
I wouldn't really blame Clark.

Pioli is a slave to the Patriot Way, and probably told Clark he doesn't need Bowe.

Clark is the only person to blame, IMO.

Brock 07-20-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8755893)

Yep.

Messier 07-20-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8755706)
I don't even think this is relevant anymore. I mentioned this few years ago (and some people scoffed at the notion) but it's clear that the NFL owners aren't concerned with the game day experience because the television contracts have made ticket buyers nearly irrelevant.

The NFL is preparing for free Wi-Fi in all of its stadiums come 2013 so that fans can watch replays on their mobile devices. Sunday Ticket is available on mobile devices and PS3. The Blackout Rules are slowly becoming softer and will disappear altogether in the coming years. New stadiums are being constructed as smaller venues: Instead of 80,000 seaters, 50 and 65 thousand seat stadiums are the trend.

It's virtually impossible for an NFL owner to lose money and with new TV contracts going into effect in 2014, the share of local money will become even more irrelevant. Soon, the fans won't have a say with their wallet.

I've heard it extrapolated out to maybe someday NFL games being solely a televised event, no fans there. I don't ever think that happens but I could see smaller stadiums, more cameras ect.

Hammock Parties 07-20-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8755893)

Well, he did HIRE Pioli, so yeah.

And he could just tell him to ****ing get it done, but I'm sure he wants to give Scott his room, since he knows Scott is a big boy and can handle responsibility.