ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

alnorth 03-10-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9482959)
I have never played a baseball game on my PS3 and I really don't play video games at all. I hear the learning curve on this game is steep so I might be in trouble!

I will take a look at the sliders but might need to just start on beginner.

How do you most of you play as far as innings per game and simulation? I am assuming most don't have time to play full 9 inning games?

The pitching is not too difficult, that part you can pick up fairly quickly. Fielding is kinda tricky, but assuming you don't give up and let the computer do all the fielding for you, you'll eventually get that. Baserunning also takes a bit to get used to.

Hitting is what is tough. On beginner its easy, games get comical with the opponent throwing strikes every pitch, and almost every swing is hard hit, with 6-HR games being common. Anything above beginner and its a learning curve even if you bump down the hitting sliders a tick. The thing that is tough is recognizing, and not swinging at, bad pitches. Even a pitch that is in the strike zone if its a low or high strike, you don't want to swing unless you have to because you'll just get yourself out. You slowly learn how to recognize bad pitches and the fact that you are given 3 strikes, so you should use all 3 of them and not feel bad about letting a strike go. There's no way to get good at hitting except lots and lots of practice, I think I played 7 or 8 exhibition games before I started a season.

Prison Bitch 03-10-2013 08:56 PM

Any word on the 5- spot ?

alnorth 03-10-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 9483586)
This year All Star seems to be the perfect level. That link I posted earlier to operation sports has a sub forum for sliders. In there you can probably find the perfect level you. How do you like the hit variety? I play with classic pitch and zone hitting without cursors or hot zones on. Also id recommend turning the fielding from default to just buttons. Absolute baseball heaven.

I haven't gotten up to all star yet, I got rocked on that level. I'm one level below that, but I'm starting to win a lot more often than I lose, so I may need to go up to all-star hitting and pitching soon.

For hitting, I've got zone hitting turned off, thats just too hard for me. I just use timing and accept the fact that my guy might choose to swing too high or low even if I have a pitch perfectly timed. I use pulse pitching. Fielding I've got on the default, the only thing I let the computer help me with is the first steps and fly ball indicators. I also turned on the single-button jump/dive. Other than that, I'm determined to figure out fielding, I finally turned a damned double play today.

I read that a lot of people turned off the variable strike zone, but I left that on. I love the fact that the umpire might blow a ball or strike, its just as likely to help me as not, and it adds a fun little twist to pitching and hitting. I also left on the pitch call-out. I let the CPU basically play the part of the catcher telling me what to throw just like if I was the pitcher, and I think if you hit the mitt outside the strike zone, sometimes the game gives it to you since the catcher is able to frame the pitch.

lewdog 03-10-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9484093)
I haven't gotten up to all star yet, I got rocked on that level. I'm one level below that, but I'm starting to win a lot more often than I lose, so I may need to go up to all-star hitting and pitching soon.

For hitting, I've got zone hitting turned off, thats just too hard for me. I just use timing and accept the fact that my guy might choose to swing too high or low even if I have a pitch perfectly timed. I use pulse pitching. Fielding I've got on the default, the only thing I let the computer help me with is the first steps and fly ball indicators. I also turned on the single-button jump/dive. Other than that, I'm determined to figure out fielding, I finally turned a damned double play today.

I read that a lot of people turned off the variable strike zone, but I left that on. I love the fact that the umpire might blow a ball or strike, its just as likely to help me as not, and it adds a fun little twist to pitching and hitting. I also left on the pitch call-out. I let the CPU basically play the part of the catcher telling me what to throw just like if I was the pitcher, and I think if you hit the mitt outside the strike zone, sometimes the game gives it to you since the catcher is able to frame the pitch.

Maybe we should make a thread in the Media Center since it seems a few of us are playing it and then we don't have to clog this thread? Plus I don't want to join the MLB Show forum to talk about this game. Would just be easier on here.

no love 03-10-2013 11:00 PM

sup y'all

thought we could get back on track here. don't post much, but I check the repository daily.

Hadn't seen this yet, thought I'd share. Sorry if repost
A Little diddy on Myers. Interesting.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...?sct=uk_bf3_a3

Full disclosure, I was a fan of the trade that brought in Shields. But if this kid turns into Trout, Harper or, gasp, A person people compare other phenoms too... well.
I'm not sure what I'm rooting for, the 2nd coming of Mark Quinn or of a superstar.

alnorth 03-10-2013 11:50 PM

Man, the show is really fun when you've got the difficulty sliders appropriately set. I just got done winning a real struggle 3-1 in extra innings on a walk-off homer against Cleveland. (this was after a 7-4 loss in the first game of the series, I didn't want to go to bed without hopefully beating the Indians in the 2nd game)

Ubaldo Jimenez was just owning my soul, striking me out left and right, I got a random solo homer but that was it, and Guthrie gave up a run from a bunch of hits in the 3rd. I was able to take and foul off enough pitches to get Jimenez out in the 7th, but the damned bullpen kept stranding my runners. Meanwhile, Guthrie was out of gas in the 6th, Crow got me to the 8th before he got in a huge jam, I brought in Hoch but he got the bases loaded after only one out, brought in Collins to get out a lefty to end the 8th, he got in trouble in the 9th, brought in Holland in a tie 1-1 game to shut down the 9th, I couldn't bring home a runner from 2nd, Holland owned the Indians in the 10th, got Butler to 1st in a walk, subbed in Dyson, stole second, and Escobar hit a game-winning walk-off homer, woohoo!

teedubya 03-11-2013 01:35 AM

Quit taking about ****ing video games in here. I come here for Royals news, not video game GM bullshit. This thread is becoming worthless.

alnorth 03-11-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9484390)
Quit taking about ****ing video games in here. I come here for Royals news, not video game GM bullshit. This thread is becoming worthless.

whatever, its March, there is no Royals news.

Archie F. Swin 03-11-2013 06:22 AM

do the Royals use the 3rd base dugout at the Surprise Complex?

mr. tegu 03-11-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

You want Royals news? We are destroying everyone who is unfortunate enough to cross our path!

BigCatDaddy 03-11-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

This!

Three7s 03-11-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9484433)
You want Royals news? We are destroying everyone who is unfortunate enough to cross our path!

Other than the occassional Hochevar starts!

Prison Bitch 03-11-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

No shit. Who gives a rats ass about video games?

BigCatDaddy 03-11-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9484469)
No shit. Who gives a rats ass about video games?

My 5 year old loves them.

duncan_idaho 03-11-2013 09:03 AM

Hochevar's spring line:

8 IP
8 Ks
6 BBs
6 ER
1.88 WHIP
6.75 ERA

Kid might pitch JUST awful enough to be able to cut him and win the grievance. Maybe.

Of course, the team would have to be willing to cut him, first...