ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Favorite Roller Coaster of all time? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271525)

Deberg_1990 03-29-2013 09:09 AM

Anyone ever rode one of the flying coasters? The ones where you are basically laying out flat as you ride. I havent got to try one yet.

jiveturkey 03-29-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9537795)
Anyone ever rode one of the flying coasters? The ones where you are basically laying out flat as you ride. I havent got to try one yet.

They're pretty good. There's two types...

Vekoma's, which beat the living hell out of you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xbWx6opIbk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And B&M's (same company that made Patriot). Smooth and fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2VXzbtf9uA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still prefer the regular inverted rides like Patriot.

Strongside 03-29-2013 09:29 AM

This one...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lf1woWkKjyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus 03-29-2013 09:34 AM

I'm sure there's better, faster roller coasters, but Orient Express for me has sentimental value. Plus it was a lot of fun. That first drop was always great. So disappointed they tore it down. I never heard why. Did they build a new one in its place? I haven't been out to Worlds of Fun in a long ass time.

Strongside 03-29-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9537824)
I'm sure there's better, faster roller coasters, but Orient Express for me has sentimental value. Plus it was a lot of fun. That first drop was always great. So disappointed they tore it down. I never heard why. Did they build a new one in its place? I haven't been out to Worlds of Fun in a long ass time.

Because it became an unsafe pile of shit...

The Orient Express suffered several malfunctions within the last seasons of its life. It broke down often and in 1999 the last two cars derailed just before the final brake, leaving riders stranded for a couple of hours. Contrary to some rumors, no one ever died on the roller coaster, and it also was never stuck upside-down. The site Orient Express was located on also remains empty, contrary to the belief that Spinning Dragons and Patriot replaced the roller coaster. Behind Spinning Dragons, the ride's old station still remains.

lcarus 03-29-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9537830)
Because it became an unsafe pile of shit...

The Orient Express suffered several malfunctions within the last seasons of its life. It broke down often and in 1999 the last two cars derailed just before the final brake, leaving riders stranded for a couple of hours. Contrary to some rumors, no one ever died on the roller coaster, and it also was never stuck upside-down. The site Orient Express was located on also remains empty, contrary to the belief that Spinning Dragons and Patriot replaced the roller coaster. Behind Spinning Dragons, the ride's old station still remains.

Oh...damn. Never heard about that. I always assumed the Timber Wolf was the unsafe one. Every time I rode it, it felt like maybe it was gonna fall apart and break in midair.

Bewbies 03-29-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9537795)

Like Superman? We have that one here in Atlanta, it's pretty cool. The inverted loop is by far the best part...

Sassy Squatch 03-29-2013 09:47 AM

Voyage in Santa Claus Indiana was awesome. Wooden coaster that felt faster than the Mamba. Going underground was awesome too.

Deberg_1990 03-29-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9537834)
Oh...damn. Never heard about that. I always assumed the Timber Wolf was the unsafe one. Every time I rode it, it felt like maybe it was gonna fall apart and break in midair.

I rode Timberwolf last about 5 or 6 years ago. It was an awful ride. Hasnt aged well....The newer woodies are soo much better. Prowler is world class. great coaster.

Strongside 03-29-2013 09:58 AM

I broke my iPhone screen on Timberwolf last summer. God damned thing slammed me against the side of the car so hard that it shattered. Seriously, **** that ride.

God of Thunder 03-29-2013 10:01 AM

Timberwolf needs to be replaced. Love the ride, love the NAME of the ride, but build a new wooden coaster in it's place.

CoMoChief 03-29-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9537858)
I broke my iPhone screen on Timberwolf last summer. God damned thing slammed me against the side of the car so hard that it shattered. Seriously, **** that ride.

Dude wear a fanny pak!! ROFL

CoMoChief 03-29-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God of Thunder (Post 9537864)
Timberwolf needs to be replaced. Love the ride, love the NAME of the ride, but build a new wooden coaster in it's place.

They did it's called the Prowler, and it's a wicked slick roller coaster, damn thing whips you around up and down pretty good for a wooden coaster.

Timberwolf is fun because the ride is long.

KCTitus 03-29-2013 02:32 PM

Living in VA, Ive been to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg many times. Apollos Chariot has to be my favorite. It's so smooth and you spend a lot of time in zero G or out of your seat 'flying'. The Griffon is a close second. That 90 degree vertical drop of about 200ft is pretty awesome.

Growing up in KC, my first ever roller coaster was Zambezi at night. That was terrifying at 9 years old. I eventually got the courage to do the Orient Express and enjoyed it. I was probably one of a few thousand to actually ride the stand up 'only in the nation' EXT one time. The wait was absurd, but at least I could say I did it. The Timber Wolf was new just before I left KC.

Got to go to Magic Mountain in CA back in the late 80's...when the Ninja was brand new, but I have to say my favorite there was probably the Colossus. Classic old woody.

Kings Dominion in VA has some pretty good coasters, and my favorite was The Volcano, launching coaster.

At Hollywood Studios, really enjoyed Aerosmith and Tower of Terror (although the tower was not really a coaster)

I'd really like to go to Cedar Point some day...ride Top Thrill and Millenium Force.

demonhero 03-29-2013 02:44 PM

Six Flags Magic Mountain in California; Goliath