ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Rush VS. Pink Floyd Vs. Queensryche (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263549)

Nzoner 09-13-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8903771)
Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

Glad I decided to read the thread before clicking any links and if PT is at #49 I won't be clicking any links either,what a joke.

Nzoner 09-13-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8903755)
So Prog Rock = a theme/concept often running through the album, too many keyboards, and perhaps a flute makes an appearance

Rush is probably the best of this mostly-forgettable genre.

:facepalm:

Nzoner 09-13-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8903785)
I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

Seen APP live twice and the sound was perfect,like having a set of headphones on and the volume cranked.That said here's a couple of my favs that you rarely if ever hear on the radio.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MWJ6G7Sr4-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O5NN8fK1tXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 09-13-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903730)
OK, when Pink Floyd is FIFTH on a list that goes, 1-4:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

You wanna talk 70's prog rock? Great, let's talk about Rush and Yes, ELP and Kansas.

Leave Floyd out of it. It's insulting to them to put them on such a list.

:thumb:

:thumb:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2scCQOwBDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 09-13-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assud (Post 8905908)
Pink Floyd is the most commercial Prog Rock band of all time. I feel they're overrated and overplayed. Cannot stand to listen to them for pleasure when their music is being shoved down my throat on the radio. However, they are very talented musicians and songwriters.

Rush gets my vote. Queensryche isn't even on the radar.

I've never understood this BS.

Why should Pink Floyd be penalized because they're POPULAR? They're not Hanson, they weren't manufactured for radio.

They get airplay because they make good ****ing music and people like it.

htismaqe 09-13-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 8905777)
I'm not a huge Rush fan, but "2112" is about as good as it gets.

I'm not a big Rush fan either but it will always occupy a special place for me.

When I was in high school, I played with an absolutely awesome drummer. He was truly gifted. Once we were sitting around after jamming and his dad (who was in a bad of course) said "Hey, I wanna show you guys something".

He popped in a home video and there was my drummer, sitting at the kit playing "Tom Sawyer" like a pro. He was 7. :thumb:

htismaqe 09-13-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8905778)
In all honesty, I only like the first record and that's probably due to the amazing production by Ben Gross. The second record is "okay" and the third, unlistenable.

Speaking of Alter Bridge and Myles, the Slash record "Apocalyptic Love" features some great 70's inspired songwriting but it's hard for me to get past Myles' voice on that record. Fortunately, there's enough cool riffs and hooks for me to get past it. It's my 4 year old's favorite record at the moment, displacing "Wasting Light" by the Foo Fighters.

Same here!

I was watching the Slash Guitar Center sessions the other night and I just couldn't listen to him sing.

Backwards Masking 09-13-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8905946)
Seen APP live twice and the sound was perfect,like having a set of headphones on and the volume cranked.That said here's a couple of my favs that you rarely if ever hear on the radio.

Were you at the 2009 Ameristar show? it was badass!!! they did everything!!

that said, back to the OP:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Queensryche

All phenomenal bands

htismaqe 09-13-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8905842)
And the Greek Theater in Griffith Park. It's amazing as well. I saw Bowie there a few years back and was blown away.

OK, **** you name dropper. :D

I wish I could see Bowie live anywhere within 1000 miles of my freaking house...

tecumseh 09-13-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8903814)
Pink Floyd, and it's not even close.

It still amazes me how Rush can have the fans they do. It's just awful awful prepubescent high school crap. Never understood that...

Do you play a musical instrument? Have you ever attempted to write lyrics and set them to melody? Perhaps you're only familiar with Rush's radio catalog. I'm sure you're probably just joking.

tecumseh 09-13-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8906048)
Same here!

I was watching the Slash Guitar Center sessions the other night and I just couldn't listen to him sing.

Complete agreement. I tried to view Live at Stowe, and Myles thin cat screech voice made it unpleasant. I'm sure he can pull off the G'n'R catalog though.

Aries Walker 09-13-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8903785)
I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

Watch the movie Ladyhawke. The soundtrack is them.

I posted the Keith Emerson video, but between the three in the OP, I go with Rush. While I can recognize their talent, I've never liked Pink Floyd very much, and Queensryche is a tier below them both.

Lzen 09-13-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8904011)
I'm not clicking on that link because I think it'd piss me off even more than a lot of the posts in this thread have.

Pink Floyd is my favorite of the three prog bands in the thread title, fwiw.

It's probably best that way. And I think they are using the term 'prog' loosely.

Nzoner 09-13-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8906050)
Were you at the 2009 Ameristar show? it was badass!!! they did everything!!

Yep,5th row center

Nzoner 09-13-2012 08:22 AM

Since I'm not clicking the link can someone tell me if RPWL or Alias Eye made the list?