ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football ESPNs Rob Parker Says RG3 Not Black Enough (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267655)

TLO 12-15-2012 01:18 PM

Tool

Demonpenz 12-15-2012 01:20 PM

RGIII has done nothing but good and he still has haters. Just the way the world works.

Dylan 12-15-2012 02:47 PM

Essentially, Rob Parker said if you were a "real black person" and "down with the cause," you would not marry a white woman or vote Republican.

I am glad to see ESPN is dealing with serious backlash against Parker, who accused Robert Griffin III of being a "cornball brother" who is not black enough.

I do not know who looks worse: ESPN or Rob Parker. ESPN’s 'First Take' producers approved Parker's comments before the show. Parker was just too dumb to know when he crossed over the line.

Nevertheless, ESPN’s 'First Take' producers are responsible for replaying Parker's comments throughout the day. It’s a very condescending, reductive line ESPN chooses to walk. Although, par for the course for an episode of 'First Take.'

I am surprised a show known to 'Embrace Debate' would ignore the controversy on Friday.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-15-2012 03:03 PM

He said some odd things, but I think I get why he was trying to say. I think it's just something that bothers him when he perceives another minority to be assimilating to dominant culture. Nothing wrong with that, but he shouldn't have brought it up because he doesn't know RGIII. That's what made it inappropriate.

FlaChief58 12-15-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9210759)
He said some odd things, but I think I get why he was trying to say. I think it's just something that bothers him when he perceives another minority to be assimilating to dominant culture. Nothing wrong with that, but he shouldn't have brought it up because he doesn't know RGIII. That's what made it inappropriate.

No, what was innapropriate was that he believes that RGIII is selling out because he does'nt act "black". What difference does it make who he votes for or who he is in love with? What goes on in his personal life is none of this dumbasses buisness.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-15-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9206166)
is matt cassel a QB...or a cornball QB?

he's not really down with the TDs

Matt Cassel isn't white enough!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9210777)
No, what was innapropriate was that he believes that RGIII is selling out because he does'nt act "black". What difference does it make who he votes for or who he is in love with? What goes on in his personal life is none of this dumbasses buisness.

I'm pretty sure it makes a difference to a lot of black people. Since when did we stop getting into a celebrity's personal life?

Crush 12-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

So having a financially-awarding job, planning to marry the woman that you love regardless of race, and not wanting to be defined by the color of your skin is "assimilating to dominant culture?" Do you realize how ****ing stupid that sounds?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-15-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9210803)
So having a financially-awarding job, planning to marry the woman that you love regardless of race, and not wanting to be defined by the color of your skin is "assimilating to dominant culture?" Do you realize how ****ing stupid that sounds?

It can be perceived that way. Apparently Rob Parker thinks so. I don't think the issue is necessarily any one of those things, but its the fact that he apparently lacks oppositional traits--besides the braids, I guess.

Crush 12-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9210825)
It can be perceived that way. Apparently Rob Parker thinks so. I don't think the issue is necessarily any one of those things, but its the fact that he apparently lacks oppositional traits--besides the braids, I guess.

Sigh. The Mayans were right. The world is going to end in six days.

FlaChief58 12-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9210802)
I'm pretty sure it makes a difference to a lot of black people. Since when did we stop getting into a celebrity's personal life?

Well, I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't give a shit what an entertainer does in his or her own private life. So I would tell those who do to mind their own ****ing beeswax

Dylan 12-15-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Too bad Rob Parker is the antithesis of everything Martin Luther King Jr. fought and died for in 1968.

Mr. King Jr. had left us with "I Have A Dream" speech – One of the greatest and most memorable moments in the history of American oratory.

Excerpt: I Have a Dream
Martin Luther King Jr. August 28, 1963

I say to you today, my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American Dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; thal all men are created equal".

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today....

http://boes.org/docs2/mking01.html

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-15-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 9210879)
Too bad Rob Parker is the antithesis of everything Martin Luther King Jr. fought and died for in 1968.

Mr. King Jr. had left us with "I Have A Dream" speech – One of the greatest and most memorable moments in the history of American oratory.

Excerpt: I Have a Dream
Martin Luther King Jr. August 28, 1963

I say to you today, my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American Dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; thal all men are created equal".

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today....

Yes I'm sure Dr. King would have loved for a white person to get to use this part of his speech every time he or she felt it convenient to turn a blind eye to race.

blaise 12-15-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Well, there is something wrong with that. Using the term, 'cornbread' and really even raising the question at indicates that RGIII would be doing something wrong by assimilating. The only way you shouldn't be bothered is if you think black people should be derided, ridiculed, or have negative words like cornbread associated with them for voting Republican or marrying a white person.
I guess if you're closed minded about what it should mean to be black or white things like that would be ok. I don't know any other reason why it would be.
The motivation of the question by Parker wasn't anything positive. It was intended to reflect negatively on RGIII.

ClevelandBronco 12-15-2012 05:13 PM

Unless Mr. Parker has showered with Mr. Griffin, I don't think he's qualified to say whether or not Mr. Griffin is "black enough."