ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL's salary cap now projected to be about $130 million (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281594)

Rausch 02-24-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10449754)
That's the way it should be.

I don't think anyone noticed how well Kush did in the finale. He was super quick to get set up or to the second level. I think the kid has a chance to be a good player.

Then, look back at Hudson's rookie year when he played left guard (a position he was an all American at at Florida St.) a few games filling in. He was damn good there.

Seriously

They had a left tackle playing right tackle
A left guard playing center
A swing tackle playing left guard

Just end the bs and line up the way they should line up

Fisher (every scout in the world thought this guy was a special talent at left tackle)
Hudson (Stud left guard in college, experience at center will help him make adjustments with Kush)
Kush (very talented guy. A lot higher ceiling than most think.)
Schwartz (guy solidified the right side of the line when he got in the lineup)
Stephenson (at least an above average starter at right tackle, with potential to be top 5)

Hudson needs to stay at C. That's where he best fits in the NFL...

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 01:25 PM

Source: Cap will be higher than $132 million

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
cash-money-pile-stack-550x556
Reuters
Back when the owners were told that the salary cap would climb from $123 million in 2013 to $126.3 million in 2014, a source with knowledge of the cap calculation said it will be higher.

Now that reports have put the salary cap as high as $132 million for 2014, the same source has said, once again, it will be higher.

Per the source, the cap could be a “few million” higher than $132 million. If this means $3 million more than reported, the cap could be as high as $135 million. That would amount to an 9.75 percent increase over last year, the biggest spike by far since the 2011 labor deal was negotiated.

It’s unknown whether the increase in the cap, which is based on revenues but inevitably is negotiated by the NFL and the NFLPA, will result from efforts to borrow against future cap increases. In past years, the quid pro quo for an increase in the cap has included an agreement by the NFLPA to permit cap penalties to be imposed on the Cowboys and Redskins for treating the uncapped year of 2010 too literally.

A cynic may wonder whether the spike in the cap for 2014 is aimed at helping NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith fend off a 2015 challenge from Sean Gilbert or, possibly, Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks.

Regardless, the cap could be increasing by similar amounts in the future. Per the source, the 2014 bump is expected to become the trend in future years.

BossChief 02-25-2014 01:30 PM

The new tv deals are gonna make the salary cap explode. It could be 150 in 2 years.

The Franchise 02-25-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10449778)
You'll have to pardon my ignorance. I don't know enough about Hudson. But if Hudson was undersized for Center, isn't that a bigger problem at Guard? The other guy that played well against San Diego was Rokevius Watkins. I think the original reason he was cut was because of work ethic so that's always something.

No. Hudson being undersized at Center is an issue when he goes up against NTs one on one.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 02:02 PM

I hope our Oline just competes for all the positions next year.

personally i think Hudson's size is a real issue unless you are pulling your center all the time. In this day and age, i would rather just get a real athletic big guy that is mobile enough to move rather than have to deal with helping your center on every play.

Hudson has a utility interior backup would be the best outcome

probably the same for Allen

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:11 PM

In a perfect world....

Fisher dominates the competition and wins the LT spot. Hudson slides to LG. Kush shows enough growth to take over the starting center spot. Schwartz is re-signed to play RG. Stephenson excels at RT. Allen moves into the swing tackle position and all we need to do is find a backup OG/C.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10452986)
In a perfect world....

Fisher dominates the competition and wins the LT spot. Hudson slides to LG. Kush shows enough growth to take over the starting center spot. Schwartz is re-signed to play RG. Stephenson excels at RT. Allen moves into the swing tackle position and all we need to do is find a backup OG/C.

what about that backup OG that looked so good in the Charger game?

Rinshaw?

I thought Kush and Rinshaw looked really good in that game.

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:23 PM

Rokevious Watkins

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10452986)
In a perfect world....

This

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10453001)
what about that backup OG that looked so good in the Charger game?

Rinshaw?

I thought Kush and Rinshaw looked really good in that game.

Yep....like Boss said....Watkins. Add him to the backup spot and we'd be good. I'm not of the mindset that our offensive line is as ****ed as some people think. We need to get Schwartz signed though.

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:30 PM

I know one thing. They aren't acting like they are gonna just hand the LT job to Fisher.

They have said that they have him penciled in at rt
They didnt even play him in the playoff game

Watch them take Taylor Lewan at 23.

BigMeatballDave 02-25-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10453024)

Watch them take Taylor Lewan at 23.

It'll be WR. Has to be. Or Safety. Does Reid have a long history of 1st rd OL? I'm too lazy to look.

Nightfyre 02-25-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448225)
Hali and his agent are not stupid.

If Hali negotiates today, he has complete leverage. They know Hali is pretty much guaranteed $8.25M this year. They know he's uncuttable. And if they negotiate a contract extension, they will have three motives: 1) maximize his signing bonus, which is critical for the twilight years; 2) make sure the signing bonus fully accounts for the $8.25M that are guaranteed anyway, so it's basically like negotiating in $8.25M PLUS a totally new contract for 2015 to 2018 (or whatever end year); 3) since Hali is coming off a pro bowl year and shown no clear signs of decline, they will negotiate his twilight years with that in mind. The Chiefs will likely end up with a contract that has a much higher signing bonus than they want which, despite what you write, means the Chiefs will NOT have good flexibility to cut him in the later years of the contract.

In 2015, the Chiefs have complete leverage because Hali is an easy target to be cut. And you can negotiate a new contract without the baggage of guaranteed money on the existing contract.

I would say that your understanding of the situation and who has what leverage here is pretty overstated. An extension for Hali would be mutually beneficial because the signing bonus is prorated to the salary cap over the life of the contract. therfore, the net present value of the deal for Hali is higher due to the stacked signing bonus and his costs are defrayed over a longer time period. Meanwhile, you restructure the deal so the salary obligation is minimized and augment it with roster bonuses and voila - both parties win.

Let's just spell out some specific numbers for everyone's understanding.

Tamba signs an extension - 24 million (19 guaranteed) for an extra 3 years. Let's say with a 15 million signing bonus for simplicity.

For the first two years, his signing bonus hit would be his old signing bonus plus 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

For the remainder of the contract, it would just be the 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

Therefore, the signing bonus portion of his cap hit would look like:
6M/6M/3M/3M/3M

His salary for the deal could be restructured (13M+9M):
2/2/6/7/7

Roster bonuses:
0/0/2/2/2

Therefore, his cap cost for each year of the deal:
8/8/11/12/12
or if we cut him in '16:
8/8/9

compared to his current cap figures:
11.5/12

Bottom line:

Saves the Chiefs 3.5M this year and 4M next year. He can be cut in 2016 to provide cap savings of 2M.

Hali gets 16M now, 2M over the course of '14 and 2M in 2015. We probably pay him his 9M in 2016, but can cut him.

instead of: 8.5M over the course of '14 and MAYBE 9M over the course of '15

Win. Win. In fact, I would bet you could optimize this deal further for the Chiefs and Hali would take it. It's his last chance for a big score.

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10453033)
It'll be WR. Has to be. Or Safety. Does Reid have a long history of 1st rd OL? I'm too lazy to look.

I don't think it's going to be a safety. They'll either roll with Commings, Abdullah or sign one of the FA safeties available.

chiefzilla1501 02-25-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10453040)
I would say that your understanding of the situation and who has what leverage here is pretty overstated. An extension for Hali would be mutually beneficial because the signing bonus is prorated to the salary cap over the life of the contract. therfore, the net present value of the deal for Hali is higher due to the stacked signing bonus and his costs are defrayed over a longer time period. Meanwhile, you restructure the deal so the salary obligation is minimized and augment it with roster bonuses and voila - both parties win.

Let's just spell out some specific numbers for everyone's understanding.

Tamba signs an extension - 24 million (19 guaranteed) for an extra 3 years. Let's say with a 15 million signing bonus for simplicity.

For the first two years, his signing bonus hit would be his old signing bonus plus 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

For the remainder of the contract, it would just be the 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

Therefore, the signing bonus portion of his cap hit would look like:
6M/6M/3M/3M/3M

His salary for the deal could be restructured (13M+9M):
2/2/6/7/7

Roster bonuses:
0/0/2/2/2

Therefore, his cap cost for each year of the deal:
8/8/11/12/12
or if we cut him in '16:
8/8/9

compared to his current cap figures:
11.5/12

Bottom line:

Saves the Chiefs 3.5M this year and 4M next year. He can be cut in 2016 to provide cap savings of 2M.

Hali gets 16M now, 2M over the course of '14 and 2M in 2015. We probably pay him his 9M in 2016, but can cut him.

instead of: 8.5M over the course of '14 and MAYBE 9M over the course of '15

Win. Win. In fact, I would bet you could optimize this deal further for the Chiefs and Hali would take it. It's his last chance for a big score.

Hali is guarantees 8.25 m this year. Basically.

You are basically asking him to restructure the rest of the deal to a 2-year 10 million dollar contract and a very unguaranteed 2016 as a replacement to his existing one year 11m deal in 2014. There is no way he signs that. Hali will want a deal that makes him tough to cut in his twilight years.