ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Today's draft watch games include Matt Ryan... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177543)

ChiefaRoo 12-28-2007 07:52 PM

Hmmm, I like the idea of a Rothlisberger type of a QB. Big, accurate with just enough speed to buy time or get the first if the middle opens up. Is Ryan that guy? If not, I like the idea of taking a stud DT.

Mecca 12-28-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo
Hmmm, I like the idea of a Rothlisberger type of a QB. Big, accurate with just enough speed to buy time or get the first if the middle opens up. Is Ryan that guy? If not, I like the idea of taking a stud DT.

That's a decent comparison I guess. Ryan can move just enough, I don't think he has the pure physical talent Roethlisberger does but I think he's better in other facets.

This is probably going to be our only chance to take a franchise QB, right now I say we make the pick and ride with it. You hit on it you just put yourself in position to be good for a long time.

the Talking Can 12-28-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo

i don't see any similarities between Ryan and Rothlisberger...two different QBs...imo

Coogs 12-28-2007 08:14 PM

After watching the game, I am not sure what to think about Ryan. He was surrounded by bad talent. But he made some good plays as well as some bad plays.

Kind of sounds right about where we are with Croyle. He has bad players around him. He makes some good play as well as some bad plays.

I guess I wouldn't be upset if we took Ryan, but by the same token, I wouldn't be upset if we fix the parts around Croyle either.

Mecca 12-28-2007 08:15 PM

The Chiefs bad players are in no comparison to the bad players BC has, some of those guys are brutal.

I question if BC could win a game without Matt Ryan.

Coogs 12-28-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
The Chiefs bad players are in no comparison to the bad players BC has, some of those guys are brutal.

They were ranked 2nd at one time. :shrug:

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs
I guess I wouldn't be upset if we took Ryan, but by the same token, I wouldn't be upset if we fix the parts around Croyle either.

I would because it would be a lateral move, because if a superstud is available hell yeah I'd take him but Ryan's good but isn't an Earth shattering NFL badass sure thing.

Mecca 12-28-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

They were ranked 2nd at one time. :shrug:

I know, which is shocking because in many ways they are a 1 man team, on offense anyway.

I don't think it's a lateral move just because I think Ryan can play 16 games...

Coogs 12-28-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

IIRC, the "roll tide" gang has said Croyle sort of had crap around him too, but he willed the to a 10-1 record or so.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

I know, which is shocking because in many ways they are a 1 man team, on offense anyway.

I don't think it's a lateral move just because I think Ryan can play 16 games...

If I'm picking in the top 5, I'm looking for John Elway caliber QBs that are studs in every possible category for playing the position and this year their aren't any.

Mecca 12-28-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

IIRC, the "roll tide" gang has said Croyle sort of had crap around him too, but he willed the to a 10-1 record or so.

Well Matt Ryan isn't made of glass...Like I said I don't think Croyle is untalented. I just think he's better suited as a backup because of his horrendous durability, I don't think he'll ever be able to play 16 games.

If this was madden his durability rating would be like a 15.

Mecca 12-28-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare
If I'm picking in the top 5, I'm looking for John Elway caliber QBs that are studs in every possible category for playing the position and this year their isn't any.

And the guys next year are worse...those QB's are rare...I think Ryan is worth it because I think he can be developed into a top notch guy.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

And the guys next year are worse...those QB's are rare...I think Ryan is worth it because I think he can be developed into a top notch guy.

This is where we differ, because I believe that Croyle could develop into that also. Again I'm looking for world-beater at the Top 5 position, and Ryan's good but he'll need help.

Mecca 12-28-2007 08:33 PM

If you can give me any reason to believe Brodie Croyle can be a dependable starter I'd love to hear it....I don't think he'll ever play 16.

Coogs 12-28-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Well Matt Ryan isn't made of glass...Like I said I don't think Croyle is untalented. I just think he's better suited as a backup because of his horrendous durability, I don't think he'll ever be able to play 16 games.

If this was madden his durability rating would be like a 15.

I wonder if Ryan will be able to hold up as well. Rothlisberger goes out from time-to-time nearly every season. A couple of times tonight, Ryan rolled right into a tackle, and wasn't able to avoid it. And he got belted from the right side once that I saw while looking left right away. Didn't seem like he picked the guy up out of his periphial (sp) vision at all.

The guy has talent as well. That was easy to see. And maybe you are correct about next years crop as well. But just maybe there is some junior out there that will declare early that has the physical tools that Ryan has.

Maybe somebody like Freeman from Kansas State has a bust out year. He is built about like those guys.