ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life CNN Money's Top 100 places to live (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230569)

BlackOp 09-13-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10908793)
I've been in Seattle and Portland for vacation this week and it's absolutely amazing up here.
Weather, food, activities. Not crowded.

The great northwest is where it's at. Just ask Mr. flopnuts

Seattle is one of only 5 cities I would live in...it's beautiful.

Kaepernick 09-13-2014 10:21 PM

Seattle is one of America's most beautiful cities. The rain phobia is overrated. Yes, it rains a lot. It also doesn't rain long. It rains about like most east coast cities do. But because it lies on the desert west where we typically get 6 months of unbroken dry weather, it is considered this godawful depressing rain fest.

Rain Man 09-13-2014 10:25 PM

The biggest draw that most of the Colorado cities have is that they're suburbs of Denver, and they can easily drive into Denver to good food and culture and arts and sports and everything else. In and of themselves, they're pretty boring and bland suburbs that I wouldn't want to live in. Fort Collins and Loveland are the only Colorado cities on the list that's not a boring and bland suburb of Denver.

The challenge with a lot of these lists is that they'll include things like crime rates and school ratings and stuff, which on the surface is a fair thing to do. But in a big city (e.g., Denver), you're going to have differences by neighborhoods and you're going to have big daytime populations and you're going to have tourists, and all of those things will tend to drive the average crime rate up. There are simply more people in town on any given day than the population shows. The school thing will be important to some people but not others, and even though they make it a criterion in almost all of these lists, it really only matters to the 20 percent of the population that has kids. It's very overrated.

suzzer99 09-13-2014 10:25 PM

O'Fallon is a huge boring dump. Bleh.

GloucesterChief 09-13-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 10908937)
Seattle is one of America's most beautiful cities. The rain phobia is overrated. Yes, it rains a lot. It also doesn't rain long. It rains about like most east coast cities do. But because it lies on the desert west where we typically get 6 months of unbroken dry weather, it is considered this godawful depressing rain fest.

No it doesn't rain like an East coast city. There are no thunderstorms. It does rain a lot but not a hard rain mostly a mist to a drizzle. Everything just stays wet in the fall, winter, and spring. The temperature stays pretty even though so it is rarely snowy or icy. Yes, compared to Southern California which is a desert it rains a lot. It does not rain a lot compared to say Hawaii.

I much rather have that then the lake effect snow around the Great Lakes region.

MMXcalibur 09-14-2014 12:30 AM

CTRL + F: "Ferguson, MO" not found

BlackOp 09-14-2014 01:03 AM

Johnson County is god awful...It's almost like they intentionally made a place that is totally void of culture. It's Stepford Wife shit...that place freaks me out.

Kaepernick 09-14-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10909011)
No it doesn't rain like an East coast city. There are no thunderstorms. It does rain a lot but not a hard rain mostly a mist to a drizzle. Everything just stays wet in the fall, winter, and spring. The temperature stays pretty even though so it is rarely snowy or icy. Yes, compared to Southern California which is a desert it rains a lot. It does not rain a lot compared to say Hawaii.

I much rather have that then the lake effect snow around the Great Lakes region.

And in the summer, it clears up by 3 pm with beautiful blue skies pretty much every day.

Kaepernick 09-14-2014 02:32 AM

Good to see Chesapeake, VA on the list. One of my retirement possibilities. I just wish VA taxes were a bit lower.

My only problem with Virginia is that it seems to be one big speed trap. They issue huge numbers of reckless driving and it is a stiff penalty.

splatbass 09-14-2014 02:35 AM

I've been to a lot of those places, lived near several. I don't see any I would live in.

I've lived in the midwest, on the east coast, on the west coast, traveled extensively to most of the other parts of the country, and AFAIC I currently live in the best place to live - Hawaii. Expensive? Yes, but worth it.

Why Not? 09-14-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 10909046)
I've been to a lot of those places, lived near several. I don't see any I would live in.

I've lived in the midwest, on the east coast, on the west coast, traveled extensively to most of the other parts of the country, and AFAIC I currently live in the best place to live - Hawaii. Expensive? Yes, but worth it.

Damn right it's the best place to live! I got Gilbert, where I live now, at number 2 but I will return to the homeland one day!

Xanathol 09-14-2014 07:46 AM

Any city north of the mason dixon line is a fail.

GloucesterChief 09-14-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 10909045)
Good to see Chesapeake, VA on the list. One of my retirement possibilities. I just wish VA taxes were a bit lower.

My only problem with Virginia is that it seems to be one big speed trap. They issue huge numbers of reckless driving and it is a stiff penalty.

Depends where you are. Northern Virginia certainly is. Hampton Roads not so much though Chesapeake is on the Southside which is more built up than the Peninsula. If I were to live in Hampton Roads I would choose York County, Williamsburg, or Isle of Wight county. Just in Isle of Wight stay away from Smithfield unless you like the smell of pigs.

58-4ever 09-14-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 10909032)
Johnson County is god awful...It's almost like they intentionally made a place that is totally void of culture. It's Stepford Wife shit...that place freaks me out.

Feel free to stay the **** out too. :thumb:

BlackOp 09-14-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 10909412)
Feel free to stay the **** out too. :thumb:

Its cool...enjoy your strip mall clone culture..:thumb: